“An historic luxury hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Book Early and Save
Ranked #29 of 271 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Pa
“An historic luxury hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

Beautifully remodeled, luxurious, with exceptionally attentive and friendly staff. Centrally located in the Gaslamp District and just blocks from a hundred wonderful shops and restaurants. It was nice to stay in a hotel that isn't just another impersonal space. Rooms were a bit small but that is to be expected in an older city hotel. First- rate.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Jared D, Front Office Manager at The US Grant, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
I really like your comment about not being "another impersonal space". It kind of relates back to the cookie cutter response a few days back. Fight the norm! Don't be a room number! We are on the verge of a revolution here Wendy and we will lead the charge in personalization! Thank you for the review, hope to see you again! Jared, Dir of Front Office

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (389)
  • Arabic first
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

This is a beautiful historic hotel that has been expertly renovated for the perfect marriage of old and new design. The guest rooms, of course had a heavenly bed, but also had a great layout with very high ceilings and arched windows. One really nice feature was that the room had a small foyer with a hall chest and closet before you entered the actual room. It made the room so much more comfortable and less like a generic hotel room. It was also a nice place to leave your phones, keys, etc. The decorating was beautiful with unique muted patterned carpets, modern empire style furniture, intricate millwork picture paneling and a marble bath. The lobby and restaurant were beautifully decorated as well. The service was excellent from the front desk to the valets to the restaurant and bar. The overall atmosphere was very sophisticated, civilized and quiet. The location of the hotel was excellent right next to the Gaslamp Quarter; however I was not that impressed with Gaslamp Quarter, but it is good central location from which to explore San Diego. The price was great too. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Two Oasis comments in one day!! This must be a record. Or a sign that even without a pool we are still considered a paradise to escape the sand blistered desert that is San Diego. Well, all of San Diego is a paradise really so I am proud we are at the top of it. I must say I am very impressed with your description of our hotel. We may need you to write some adverts for us! Clearly a polished writer and traveler! I am humbled by responding to such a ornate review. Thank you again! Jared, Dir of Front Office
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

I was placed in this hotel because the site of our convention was full. How fortunate for me. I had a fantastic stay here. As others have noted, the building is grand and fabulous inside and out and it's in a great location for exploring the city. My room was very comfortable and quiet - met my high expectations. As for the staff, from the minute I was greeted, I was made to feel incredibly welcome. The reception staff were very friendly and obliging and more than happy to talk to and give advice about places to run in the morning to where to go to for dining and entertainment at night. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this to anyone visiting San Diego.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
I love the title you have bestowed upon us! I only wish we had a pool in our oasis! Thank you for discovering us, even if by chance with your conference. Being the most historic downtown property we sometimes keep a low profle so I love hearing stories like this where guests discover us by chance only to be brought back in the future. I look forward to welcoming you back to this Gaslamp Oasis! - Jared, Dir of Front Office
Newcastle, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013 via mobile

Rooms really differ from one another and so do prices. The bar is a huge disappointment, closes early and the cocktails are awful. I wouldn't stay here again.
Our friends complained and got upgraded we had and booked through Centurion card and got declined

• Stayed May 2013
I am very saddened by your review doyletv! Its true our rooms change from one to another which some guests love but i do respect the ones that do not care for it. But what is more concerning to me is saying the cocktails are awful! I very much want to know which ones you ordered. The cocktail program is one of our highlights at the Grant Grill and our bartenders participate in multiple cocktail contests. I hope you give the others a chance and I can only hope it was either a one off or just not the right cocktail for you. We do have quite a variety right now with our raw cocktails (rawcktails I call them), sur lie cocktails and signature cocktails using herbs from our rooftop garden. Sorry the one you picked didnt suit you, but thank you for visiting us and hopefully we will see you again for a different one! - Jared, Dir of Front Office.
Glenside, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

This is a stunning hotel with all the amenities you could possibly dream of! Given the opportunity I would be happy to stay at this lovely retreat as often as possible. The concierge Lee Ann Kinkelaar especially gave such excellent service that I cannot say enough about her! She made our stay just the most wonderful experience! I highly recommend this hotel to anyone in the San Diego area!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Rest assured that your kind praise for Lee Ann has already reached her and her managers to recognize the great service she provided you during your stay! We look forward to welcoming you back and serving you time and time again. Jared, Dir of Front Office
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

The rooms differ from one another. Ceilings are high. Rugs are interesting. It feels lush and non-corporate. You'll never go back to the Marriott again.
But little things are gnawing. The cleaners need a checklist. Every time they left they had forgotten a couple of things—like replenishing soap. And the hotel charges for Internet in the rooms. Very down-market. The bathroom had few places for a cosmetic bag. Strangely, it turns out the main entrance to the hotel is in a garage. The other entrances are closed some of the time.
Nevertheless, this is my fourth time at this hotel and I'll stay here again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Jared D, Front Office Manager at The US Grant, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
Thank you for the honest opinion review ! I love when people talk about the unique aspects of the hotel like our carpet and different room layouts. Truly we are not cookie cutter in style or layout. My apologies for some of the housekeeping oversights; good feedback for me to take to the team. We definitely look forward to seeing you again for your 5th stay! The only thing I can say in defense of cookie cutters is that without them there would be no cookies; and I LOVE cookies! Thanks again! Jared, Dir of Front Office.
Tucson, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

I will start this review by saying how absolutely wonderful my experience at the US Grant truly was. This property stands above its competition in San Diego and is a true representation of the service, style and comfort one expects from the Starwood brand.
I travel to San Diego frequently and have "experienced" name brand to boutique style hotels and I have found a home with the US Grant. This particular trip was pleasant mix of personal and business in which both aspects were very well catered to. I would recommend this property for both personal and business travelers.

The Best - the staff here shines! The Front Desk staff was friendly and professional, sincere and genuine during check in. Bruce, the bartender at Grant Grill, is simply a joy! He was very personable and welcomed us with pleasant conversation while we enjoyed a nightcap, offering suggestions for the next day. Even better, and perhaps the epitome of guest service, upon arrival the second night, he welcomed us and remembered our drinks, taking care of us immediately - refreshing after spending Saturday night in crowds of people in the Gaslamp. A relaxing way to end our evening! Both the Grant Grill and US Grant foster a sense of calm while maintaining their luxurious appeal.

The “Better than the Best” - The décor of the US Grant deserves more than just a mention in this review for it is beyond luxury. To me, it reflects luxury and glamor of the early century when the hotel was built. Careful care has been given to the details - beautiful, grand chandeliers in the lobby; damask fabric wall panels; velvet accents in rich chocolate brown or sea blue; ornate, silver crown moldings grace the tops of pillars also in the grand lobby; the original marble floor in the entry... The rooms are also comfortably well-appointed. We stayed in the Signature Suite and it was fabulous! Large and spacious, the bathroom featured two, basin sinks and a massive 10x10 shower with 6 shower heads! The beds are given just enough bedding to be inviting and plush but stop at the unnecessary and crowding accessories. We spent more time enjoying our room than the beaches of San Diego during this trip

Without hesitation, I would recommend this hotel to any traveler looking for a luxurious experience in the heart of San Diego. This was the best experience I’ve had at a hotel in a very long time, I felt like an honored guest and it was sublime!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Been to The US Grant? Share your experiences!