“Character, location and history in a great city” 4 of 5 stars

Book Early and Save
Ranked #28 of 269 hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
London, United Kingdom
“Character, location and history in a great city”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

Don’t ask me why, but in all my trips to States I’ve never made it to San Diego until now. Having stay at the US Grant I rather regret that. Ideally situated near the gaslight district this historical hotel (with excellent panels explaining it’s story in the lobby) really helps you place the city in context.

The hotel itself is well furnished; whilst the corridors are rather tired the room and public areas are good. Though for myself I wish they made a little more of the historic themes in the room décor. Another gripe I do have however is the comms. Whilst recently decorated the rooms still have prehistoric IT and telecoms in them which is a shame. But in all honesty these are niggles. The is a solid hotel in lovely part of a lovely city – enjoy!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

1,665 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (360)
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

We just returned home from our 5 night stay at the US Grant in Downtown San Diego. It was outstanding. My wife and I went for our anniversary and for a vacation to a city we've never been to. I'll start by saying I am a Starwood Platinum Member and was able to use my points to stay for free at the US Grant. They didn't have any suites available when we checked in, but Merri was very helpful at the front desk and has us in a suite by the 2nd night.

The lobby of the 90+ year old hotel was gorgeous and we were greeted with great service as soon as we entered. I'll be honest, I was a little worried at first. My wife and I are in our mid-20s and I was concerned we wouldn't be treated as nicely as the older folks in suits that I'm sure tipped much more than I could. But I was pleasantly surprised. We received impeccable service every moment we needed it. I have stayed at other top hotels (Ritz, 4 Seasons, etc.), and the service was comparable, if not better at times. We we're surprised with chocolate strawberries on our first night since they knew it was our anniversary! Now to the details.

Location: Perfect. In the heart of Downtown across from a large mall. Gaslamp District (which is the place to be every night) is a mere 2 blocks away. We went there every night for dinner and had a 10 minute walk at the most.

Service: As I mentioned perviously, service was great. We did the "Make a Green Choice" which credits my account with 500 starpoints each night for turning down room service. So, I can't rate housekeeping. However, room service was timely both times we ordered it.

Food: We only ate breakfast here, but it was outstanding. Pablo was our waiter every morning and he was awesome! The food was delicious every morning. I am sure the 4 diamond restaurant is also outstanding for dinner. We also had their signature cocktail featured on the Food Network "Pumpkin Smash" martini. It was the perfect blend of sweet and savory.

The rooms were also clean and in great condition. The beds were very comfortable and plenty of pillows. I didn't rate value because we stayed for free and didn't use the spa, so that wasn't rated either. Brooks and everyone else at the Concierge were very helpful when we needed advice on how to get to the Ferry, Little Italy, etc. We we're greeted with smiles at all corners of the hotel.

All in all, and amazing stay and I would recommend it to anyone looking for a great vacation getaway!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
NFBD, Manager at The US Grant, responded to this review, November 16, 2012
Greetings HealthBar09,

Thanks for making the journey to San Diego and for selecting THE US GRANT as your home away from Atlanta! Merri and Pablo are ambassadors of the purest caliber and will be celebrated for their achievement with your stay! Thank you for your loyalty to Starwood and for allowing us a few days to straighten out the upgrade opportunity! It is not every stay that we are able to achieve this and the patience and foregiveness you accommodated to allow us this room move mid-stay is appreciated as we do truly desire to exceed the expectations of our guests!

Please do come back for a visit when you get the next opportunity. We will be sure to deliver the same special care and recognition as with this past stay!

Sincerely, Nathan Davis, Director of Operations
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

The vast lobby/hall probably shows straight away what this place is all about - good to have found an Expedia deal that probably saved us a fortune. It's conveniently located in the city centre and within easy distance of the waterfront area. Comfortable bed. Only minor negative, bathroom rather small, no doubt because impractical to knock rooms about too much. And make sure you have your wits about you if you're arriving late at night and looking out for the valet parking entrance!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

The hotel is located in the Gas Lamp district which has numerous restaurants and bars within walking distance. One thing that I have noticed staying in the district is that the trucks (trash, delivery) begin around 4 AM and you can here them clearly when you are in a lower floor room.

My room was nice although the TV had some issues with the quality of the reception on several of the channls. The bathroom was nicely updated. Another issue was that the window covers do not block the light coming from the street. I was on the third floor and the room was not sufficiently dark with the shades drawn.

The staff was very nice and helpful. Valet parking is very expensive ($35). Ugh.

Not a hotel to bring your kids to. Not sure if I will stay there again - depends on the price at the time I am booking my next trip to SD.

Room Tip: Higher floors are more likley to have light and noise pollution from the street below.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Albuquerque, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

I recently took a semi-business trip and decided to use my Starwood points to get a suite at the US Grant. When I arrived, they had upgraded me from a "Superior" to a "Luxury Suite." This was a very large room with two queen beds, overstuffed pillows, and excellent quality furnishings. The views from the hotel were of the Gaslamp area, and gave you that nice full security in a large urban environment feeling. The bathroom had a massive tub/shower and two sinks in a marble shelf. The entire experience was one of unrestrained luxury.

I was there for a conference, so did not spend much time in the lobby areas, but these were very well done - brass, marble, big heavy furniture, soft thick oriental carpets. All very classy.

My wife and kids found that access to the harbor areas and a bus line to Coronado Island was very easy. The hotel was easy to get to from the airport too, either by cab, shuttle, or for me ( I was by myself when I arrived - the Family came later) - I used the public bus to get from the airport to the Hotel. The bus cost $2.25 and dropped me off right in front of the US Grant Hotel - less than 20 minutes in transport, no waiting for a spot on a shuttle or renting a car.

There is WiFi available throughout the hotel for a fee. I did find that in my specific room, the WiFi signal lacked a little... that's about my only complaint about the whole experience.

Room Tip: Ask if any cheap (or free) upgrades are available when you check in. Corner suite is large with bet...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
NFBD, Manager at The US Grant, responded to this review, November 16, 2012
Albequerque is a journey from San Diego but a piece of your heart will always remain here.

We are elated that this stay exceeded your expectations! This is our most sought after achievement. Your details are all poignant and well positioned to assist fellow global explorers with their selection of a hotel and for this we are very grateful!

When you are ready to reclaim that portion of your heart we will be ready to welcome you back to THE US GRANT.

Thank you, Nathan Davis, Director of Operations
Cottonwood Heights, Utah, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

This is the second time we have stayed at The US Grant hotel. Both times have been great experiences. The hotel is rated a 5-star hotel, the rates for the fall time of the year were very reasonable. Since it is a Starwood Preferred Guest hotel, we got upgraded to a nicer room on a higher floor. They also offered to give us additional SPG points for going green in the room (they don't change out the sheets or towels during our stay unless requested). The hotel is situated so that a very short walk puts you in the gaslight district or up to Balboa Park. The only downsides to this stay - $35 a night for parking a car and a annoying fan noise from the room below us that they couldn't fix (they did offer to move us).

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
NFBD, Manager at The US Grant, responded to this review, November 23, 2012
Still sunny and warm here in San Diego,

thank you for sharing your insight on your stay! We are happy that the Make Green Choice Program was something you enjoyed. Being a Luxury Collection property we strive to exceed the expectations of our guests with personal service and the option of this program allows guests to build their loyalty to Starwood and our hotel, we like that!

Please do come visit us again. Mention the minor inconveniences you encountered and challenge us to doubly exceed your expectations during your next stay!

Thank you, Nathan Davis, Director of Operations
ORD
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

This is a lovely property in the near Gas Lamp area of San Diego. The suite was expansive, nicely furnished, but needed more light at night in the bedroom. Bathroom had no tub, but a large stall shower was perfect. Plush towels. What kept me from giving this a five-star rating was inconsistently of service (two of four nights, turndown service was missed), need to call everyday for proper newspaper delivery, need to call for my shoes sent for an overnite shine. The service in the breakfast room was great on the other hand! Food in the a grill at dinner was 4+ but not tops. On a busy Sunday when I was departing, only one available bellman for luggage needs, and he was helping someone else!

Room Tip: 10th floor suites are beautiful!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Been to The US Grant? Share your experiences!