“Well-restored historic hotel” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
San Francisco, California
“Well-restored historic hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

Some "historic " hotels are just old funky and musty -not the US Grant. Built 102 years by the son of president Grant, this hotel was extensively renovated two years ago. I heard they spent $60M, which sounds like a heck of a lot of money. I don't know whether that's the right amount, but I can see that every nook and cranny has been redone.

The decor is unique. The rooms large. Great room rate. The service great. We had one dinner in "The Grill" and it was great too. Great location...how many more greats can I give this place???

US Great...I mean Grant

• Stayed August 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (410)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
Glendale, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2012

Took our two year old daughter to San Diego to hang out and do kid's stuff. We wanted her to experience the right way to go on vacation ( no issues, no pressure, and no hassle). When we pulled in, the Valet Staff was very welcoming and genuinely friendly. They opened the car doors for us and unloaded our bags in no time and took us directly to check in. The hotel lobby was immaculate that I just have to take pictures of it. The guy at the counter, Dorian, was very nice and accommodating to our needs. Our room had a feeling of luxury. The gentleman who brought up our luggage noticed that we have our little daughter with us so he arranged for a refrigerator to be sent to our room without us asking for it.
Everytime we head out for the day, the Valet Staff would ask us if we need help with directions and even recommended places to eat around town. When we go back at the end of the day, our room is freshly made and best of all, our daughter would happily climb on the bed because there were chocolates waiting for her on top of the pillows.
One time, I have to charge my camera battery but I left it in the car. I called down and they brought it up in few minutes and even asked me if I needed a charger.
One night, we ran out of milk and instead of walking 2 blocks to go to the store, they gave us more than enough to last till the morning. This is what I call Superv Service. Thank you guys.

Room Tip: Upper Floors are great.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Seattle, WA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

Stayed 2 nights and was impressed by the "Great Gatsby-like" lobby, staff, and rooms. The beds were very comfortable with luxury linens - didn't want to get out of bed. Slightly larger room provided a larger bathroom as well. Had breakfast in the restaurant both mornings and the food was terrific.

The hotel is across from the outdoor shopping mall on one side, and entrance to the Gas Lamp district on the other; which is convenient location. The city streets in that area are typical dirty city with a range of business folks, homeless, and hipsters that come out at night. However inside the property it feels like you're not within the dirty city.

Down side is that there are no views, windows look onto other building or down streets. So the drapes are drawn for both ambiance and privacy in the rooms. And there may be street noise as it most cities - just put the fan on low for white noise when you sleep.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
manchester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

Admittedly this is the first time I've stayed in a 5* hotel but I was very impressed. Customer service was outstanding and the refurbishment means the whole hotel is immaculate. Gym with complimentary water, valet parking (a bit pricey but totally worth it), very friendly staff- faultless stay!!

• Stayed July 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

We recently had a great visit to the U.S. Grant in San Diego. It was half business and half a family trip. The staff was very nice and friendly to our children. The restaurant is also very nice and has a great happy hour. Overnight parking is a little expensive but typical for downtown San Diego. Happy travels!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
london
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012

I found the US Grant good, but not great.

They make a great play of their history - to be honest I found this a little over the top, but fair play, its a historic building in San Diego with a storied history.

First of all: the great - the staff were as as warm, courteous, accommodating and welcoming as anywhere I've stayed (which to be fair, is a very long list). Stephen on front desk was particularly helpful as were others.

The rooms are well appointed. I stayed in a couple of different rooms, a standard room and later, was upgraded to a landmark suite. Great showers, slightly fussy washbasins, thick robes etc. But dig a little deeper under the surface of those luxuriously appointed rooms and you will find issues. Lots of broken curtain rings, and the bed I had in 208 had a partly concealed metal bar sticking out under the valance - I found this out when I cracked my shin against it rather painfully the first evening in there. Little things like this do take a little away from the overall impression of luxury. If you're going to sell a hotel on such an image, then details matter. Beds shouldn't be in that condition.

I think room choice is important. While the amenities are of a high standard, there are areas of the hotel that are better than others. The suites I saw were either located below an incredibly noisy kitchen generator that I was told ran from 5am to 11pm at night (another legacy of an old building - rooms ending in 06 have this problem in particular) or were tucked away in a corner by an elevator with limited natural light and on one side, literally a view of another wall, 10 feet away.

In fairness to the hotel they were almost at capacity and I would imagine there are plenty of rooms and suites with better views, less depressing ambience and less noise. Nonetheless, take care in your choice, and if you're not happy, ask to see another room as they vary dramatically.

Generally speaking the lighting is also very gloomy, which isn't helped by the general dark brown colour scheme of the communal areas. There is also a rather unusual vaguely musty smell in the air. No doubt another quirky legacy of an old building! The hotel is also popular with pigeons who made it their business to land on my window ledge most days.

The room service breakfast was fantastic, in keeping with the generally very high service levels. Wi-fi was adequate, no huge issues. The fitness centre was below par however. Tucked away in (another) gloomy corner of the maze like lower lobby it had no windows, limited air conditioning and very limited equipment. For a five star hotel this was definitely below par.

So in conclusion, great personal service - I cant remember a single occasion where I was not addressed by my name - some luxurious touches but the curiously depressing ambience, lack of light and 'quirky' room layouts may not be to everyone's taste. Would I stay here again? I'm honestly not sure. I checked into the W, just a few blocks away right after my stay at the Grant and its a very contrasting experience and to be fair, sells itself on different qualities. Its not all great either, but definitely highlights that to stay at the US Grant is a mixed experience for a luxury hotel.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012

The US Grant is a beautiful hotel with an interesting history associated with it, has a European ambiance, and has a great location in San Diego. As a foodie, I appreciated their seasonal cocktail list and impressive selection of wine. Their lounge has the best Charcuterie I have ever had! Make sure to have lunch or dinner at their restaurant, food is top quality. In addition to great food, you will enjoy the US Grant's rooms...they are spacious, beds are comfortable, and bathrooms have Remede shampoo and shower gel. Lastly, the staff are very attentive, professional, and knowledgeable. I am certain that guests from all around the world feel at home in this historic hotel. I did. Cannot wait to return!

Room Tip: Superior rooms have a better view
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to The US Grant? Share your experiences!