“Great hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #25 of 271 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Great hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

The us grant is a great hotel I actually got a room here through kayak for 150. Valet Parking is 35 dollars and you can come and go as you please. Staff is very professional and friendly. Hotel is very fancy and welcoming. You couldn't ask for a better location, there is a mall and nearly 200 bars/restaurants all within walking distance. Bed was a bit hard though. I also wish there was a pool or spa. Carpet was a little outdated but I would stay here again in a heartbeat. Overall 5 stars.

• Stayed June 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (380)
  • Arabic first
Boulder, Colorado, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

They couldn't find my reservation, it took 45 min to check it. Whatever, it happens. I get to the room and I pop open my laptop to do some work and guess what? My biggest pet peeve in the world - THEY CHARGE FOR INTERNET??? I guess I didn't realize we are still in the 1990s here. I asked to get comped for internet and they refused.

Charging for internet is the most infuriating thing in the world for me. It's like charging for air.

Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Douglas K, General Manager at The US Grant, responded to this review, July 22, 2012
We are very sorry to hear that your disappointment towards our guest room internet fee has greatly impacted your visit and overall experience.

Our internet fee ensures our guests high-speed, high bandwidth connectivity. For travelers who wish to avail of complimentary wireless internet service, we have this available at our lobby area 24-hours a day.

Information on our internet as well as other services is located in our website to better prepare travelers for their visit. In addition, our Starwood Preferred Guest program rewards our Gold and Platinum members with complimentary high speed internet as part of their benefits. We invite you to join this program so you may enjoy this benefit as well in any Starwood Hotel you choose to stay at.

Douglas R. Korn
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

I've been meaning to write this review forever...ok for a year since my fiance and I stayed here. I loved this hotel. Our room was exceptionally clean, extremely spacious, and we had a wonderful experience overall. There were always fresh, chilled (and free) bottles of water in our room whether we came back mid-day or in the evening. I loved the turn down service. The concierge was great (I wish I remember his name!) and extremely knowledgable. He was probably close to my age, so he catered all of his recommendations to me and knew exactly where to send me for fish tacos. I think the location was great as well. We did end up renting a car for a few days during our stay to explore the areas outside of San Diego.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

My family and I had a terrific time. The US Grant is a fabulous hotel, and the staff took great care of us. I will definitely stay with them again. I give everyone at the US Grant extremely high marks! And the cookies and milk were a wonderful treat!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

Beautiful hotel, very friendly staff, but outdated wifi policy.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
, Manager at The US Grant, responded to this review, July 13, 2012
Greetings Mr. H,

many thanks for your visit to our historic hotel and for taking the time to post this favorable response! Your comments are appreciated and well heard. We recognize that Wifi is something that many rely on in our fast paced world and we work very hard to ensure that we offer superlative service that supports any device that our guest may utilize combined with remarkably strong bandwidth and speed.

Please do come visit us again soon and allow us the opportunity to exceed your expectations on all fronts!

Sincerely, Nathan Davis, Director of Operations
San Francisco, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

I stayed here over the July 4 weekend. The hotel is part of Starwood's Luxury Collection and it is a nice property. However, customer service fell short of my expectations. I have over 500 stays with Starwood and am Lifetime Gold but I should not have more knowledge about what my SPG Gold benefits are than the hotel staff. I spent the better part of an hour haggling over my Gold benefits that were only partially honored. At first, the front desk tried to tell me that the late checkout benefit was not guaranteed -- however, given my experience with the program, I know it is guaranteed at non-resort/conference center properties. Eventually, I had to escalate to SPG customer service to negotiate a later checkout time that fell short of my needs (and what I was entitled to).

For a Luxury Collection property, I truly do expect better. My experience was that the hotel could be so much better if front desk personnel were educated on what elite tiers are eligible for from a benefit/amenity perspective.

Parking is also steep at $30/night but that is not unusual for this level of hotel. Just be aware if you are renting a car. Hotel is conveniently located in the Gaslamp area next to the Westfield Horton Shopping Plaza.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Manchester, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

This hotel far exceeded our expectations for what we paid. It is steeped in history and in refurbishing the grand building they have retained loads of original features and character. The staff were all delightful and most helpful. Rooms were beautiful with lovely bathroom Furnishings exquisite. Location right in the heart of the gasslamp district handy and within walking distance of everywhere. We class ourselves as discerning and the US Grant satisfied our every need. Would defo stay here again and highly recommend it. Have you ever bben in a city and thought 'when I make it, that's where I'm going to stay' - well this is it!!!! Valet parking was 35 dollars a day, we parked just up the road for 15 dollars for 2 days.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
, Manager at The US Grant, responded to this review, July 11, 2012
Greetings Michael,

thank you for exploring our historic hotel! You have listed off some of the greatest assets that our property offers to our guests. These define what we recognize as the culmination of years of perfecting and developing a hospitality cutlure that is firmly rooted in the tradition of THE US GRANT. Clearly this work is not complete but we enjoy celebrating the milestones along the way and will do so with your feedback.

Please come see us again soon and enjoy all the best that San Diego and Sourthern California have to offer!

Sincerely, Nathan Davis, Director of Operations

Been to The US Grant? Share your experiences!