“Love this hotel!” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Orange County
“Love this hotel!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2011

In July my daughter and I took a stay-cation at the US Grant in San Diego where every effort was made to ensure we were attended to. When I want to retreat to a place near home where I will be pampered and taken care of, this is the place to which I would return.
Upon arrival the staff at the hotel entrance was swift and courteous as we gathered our things, left the car with the valet, and went to check in. We were met with a warm greeting by guest services who apologized that our room was not yet ready and hoped that we would not mind waiting. Looking around at the lobby we saw it had plenty of comfortable seating, all in an invitingly casual elegant style with contemporary flair; but our receptionist wanted us to be as comfortable as possible so she lead us to the Grant Grill Lounge and told us our drinks and appetizer would be on the house. The opening to our stay was met with an exceptional attitude towards our overall experience, as the lounge staff was equally if not more cordial, hospitable and concerned. I enjoyed their signature Rooftop Garden Tour and my daughter had a signature julep; we shared a cheese and charcuterie platter; everything was perfect.
Our room was a quiet double-double corner room on the eleventh floor with generous space and decor with the same level of understated contemporary elegance throughout the hotel to make us feel welcome. Comfort was in abundance... robes & slippers... a large flat screen TV... complementary water, coffee, and chocolates... a cozy, well lit space to sit and put our feet up... gorgeously appointed and very roomy bathroom... and heaven sent beds! This was relaxation at its five-star finest.
The hotel is across from Horton Plaza, a short walk to Seaport Village, and a short drive to Balboa Park and the zoo. Plenty of dining and nightlife can be found up the street in the Gas Lamp District; but the hotel restaurant, Grant Grill, is so fabulous that if you wanted to "stay home" you'd be completely comfortable and very well taken care of. The lounge offers plenty of comfortable seating for dining and a terrific happy hour menu of small bites (which are plenty large) and affordable first class drinks.
The noon checkout is great! What's even greater is that they extended our checkout another hour while we had lunch at the Grill; we could freshen up after our meal before heading towards home.
If you have an AAA membership, check online at the US Grant website for terrific deals. We got complementary parking and a food and beverage allowance. If you are somewhat flexible as to when you are able to stay at the US Grant, shop for different days at different times because you might find that one of the best rooms is available at nearly a standard room price from time to time. We got a wonderful room at a terrific value, which makes me want to return.

Room Tip: Rooms at the top are much quieter. Corner rooms give lots of light.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (389)
  • Arabic first
Chicago
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2011

The hotel was very nice and had a lot of character. I grew up in Europe and it reminded me of some of the nicer hotels in Europe. Loved the high ceilings and plush pillows, and the furnishings and art were in excellent taste.

I spent 2 years living in a flat in downtown London, so I may be immune to street noise, but I did not notice any excess noise as has been complained about here.

Sadly, the hotel "missed" in my mind.

Our check-in was fantastic, one of the best experiences anywhere in the world, staff was friendly, helpful, fast and polite. When we got to the room, the bathroom was very small, but a very nice room. The first night was terrible, the AC simply would not get the room cold enough and I was miserable, at 11:30 I called down to the desk to have them send me a fan. Half an hour later, still hot and uncomfortable and tired, I called back down asking where the fan was. The front desk did not know the status so I asked for a followup call with more information. That call never came. 15 Minutes later I called down yet again asking for a status, the same situation happened but with a different staff member, I asked for a return call and no call came back. About 15-20 minutes later the fan arrived covered in dust.

With the help of the fan I made it through the night and when I complained in the morning the staff was fantastic about making things right. The manager on duty did an amazing job and put us in an large and incredible suite. She took our number and said she would give us a call when it was ready. After getting the call and coming back, we went up to the room to find someone else's luggage there, and not ours as well as the headboard to the bed on the floor having fallen off the wall. After bringing this up to her she again was very apologetic and said she would get it fixed right away. And that she did.

The room was very nice with 2 large bathrooms one with a fantastic tub. Sadly things were just still off from what I would expect for $300+ a night.

There was what looked like animal droppings in the corner of the window, it may have just been a massive pile of dirt, but neither is expected.

There was a rip in my sheets I noticed the next morning.

When trying to turn on the news in the living room, I noticed only one of the TVs actually worked.

While we stayed there we ate 3 times at the onsite restaurant and I will say I was very impressed.
The breakfast was very possibly the best I have had in my life, both the french toast and the waffles are to die for. The Juice was fresh and with a large variety, over all I am very very happy with the breakfast.

Dinner was OK - the service was impeccable, absolutely top notch, and their staff made us feel special and welcomed. Both of us ordered steak, she ordered the $38 one and I ordered the $48 one. Now I am a steak snob, and her steak was fantastic, cooked perfectly and packed with flavor. My steak was mediocre at best, not what I would consider to be fine dining in any respect.

When I brought it up, they offered to recook the steak, but I declined - I ended up eating less than half of it. (which is not like me)

All in All, this seemed very much like a $150/night hotel, not a $300+/night hotel. I love the charm, but next time will stick with the other Starwood properties in town.

Room Tip: Room 1104 was very nice.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
TheUSgrant, Director of Operations at The US Grant, responded to this review, September 20, 2011
Dear Jordan J,

Please accept our heartfelt apologies for the series of issues you experienced during your stay. It is rare that our services and methods are not evocative of the grandeur and refinement of our environment.

We are greatly humbled by your comments and shall use the points you mentioned to provide re-training in the areas concerned and act on details that have affected the value of your stay. We shall contact you separately to discuss this matter further.

Thank you for your gift of feedback.

Tom Scaramellino
Chester Springs, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2011

Stayed for 5 nights for combo biz and pleasure trip. Everyone was so friendly and customer-focused, especially during 12-hour blackout when staff provided continuous stream of sandwiches, beverages, chips, bagels, etc. in lobby at no charge and always with a smile. Amazing service! Hats off to Mr. Korn and Harry Siebert and their staff - well done! US Grant is now my SD home away from home! Thank you!

Room Tip: Interior courtyard was very quiet
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2011

I booked into the U.S. Grant for 2 nights (Fri and Sat) on the Labor Day weekend in September 2011.

The hotel is really well appointed, and the standard room was spacious and luxurious, with a comfortable bed. The staff (particularly the valet parking staff) was friendly and welcoming, more so than I've experienced in other hotels of a similar standard.

However, the drawback and the lingering memory was 2 nights of awful sleep, due to the noise from the streets outside: the windows block out nothing and sirens and party-goers seemed to be on the go all night. Additionally, there was plenty of noise from the corridor that wasn't blocked out.

All in all, the lack of sleep left me feeling poorly for 2 days. Given the price range of the U.S. Grant, this was a side effect I wasn't expecting. Overall, disappointing.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else if you want a good night's sleep!
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
Dear Traveller_Europe_78,

We are very sorry to hear about your unpleasant experience during your most recent visit to our historic property. Unfortunately due to our location downtown, some areas of the hotel are close to establishments whose noise levels we do not have control of. However, you may be pleased to know that there are rooms in our hotel that are in a quieter location. If you will give us another opportunity to serve you better and provide you with more comfortable accommodations, we would be delighted to reserve a quiet room for you on your next visit. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly so we may prepare for your arrival.

Tom Scaramellino
Director of Operations
Roseville, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2011

The single night we spent at the US Grant just happened to be the night of the huge power outage that left most of So Cal and parts of Arizona in the dark - literally. The hotel was prepared. They had backup generators so there was some light in the lobby. Extra staff showed up including management just to take care of guests. They kept the hotel secure, they fed us endlessly - for free - since all restaurants were closed and made everyone as comfortable as possible. I am positive if we were in a lesser hotel we would not have been treated so well. We will always be grateful that we had such a lovely and safe place to stay during such a stressful event. We highly recommend the US Grant.

Room Tip: Corner rooms have great viewes, are larger and sunny
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

My family and I had the pleasure of staying in the U.S. Grant Hotel while in San Diego this year. The rooms were beautiful, immaculate, and comfortable. The staff was especially friendly and helpful.

The location was very convenient to restuarants, shopping, and within walking distance to the waterfront. All in all, it was wonderful and I highly recommend this property.

Thank you! Ruth Lichtenfeld
Mobile, AL

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

The US Grant is in a great location, its a beautiful and elegant historical place, the down side of that is there is no pool.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo

Been to The US Grant? Share your experiences!