“Delighted to say that it was as nice as its picture!” 4 of 5 stars

Free Meatball Trio!
Ranked #49 of 270 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersGold level
White Plains, New York
“Delighted to say that it was as nice as its picture!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2014

The Lafayette exceeded my expectations. The lobby was not only beautiful and inviting it was large and functional with lots of comfortable seating. The staff was very friendly and super helpful. It was the start of Restaurant Week and the desk clerk even offered to make calls for me to check menus and availability. Although the room was not large it was very well appointed, very clean and had everything that I needed. The bathroom was equipped with high end toiletries and plenty of plush towels. There is an outdoor pool and garden sized chess and checker sets in the courtyard. A very pleasant surprise was the gourmet quality of the breakfast that I enjoyed at the restaurant. The seating is indoors or out with a complimentary newspaper available. There is secure parking included for free. Great value in every respect!

Room Tip: Request a room on a higher floor in the back for less noise.
Green Features: I think it is great that the lights are motion sensitive and that the client has the option to participate in helping the environment by re-using towels. The notes are a helpful reminder.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Ronan O, Front Office Supervisor at The Lafayette Hotel, Swim Club & Bungalows, responded to this review, February 1, 2014
Dolores P,

Thank you very much for the exceptional and extremely thorough reflection of your stay with us at the Lafayette Hotel. It is our aim to exceed every guests expectations when they stay with us, and I was very happy to have seen that we were able to realize those aims during your stay. Restaurant Week is a great time to come and visit us as there are over 180 eateries that offer deals or special menus throughout the week. Again thank you for mentioning all of the amenties you enjoyed as well as the tip for our future guests in regards to their rooms. Please feel free to contact me the next time you make it out to San Diego.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (190)
Bloomsbury, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2014

I chose this hotel because it was 3 minutes from my son's apartment in North Park, looked wonderful online and was very reasonable. I was not disappointed. We had a terrific visit. The hotel was lovely! We stayed in the Suze suite - 2 adults and 2 teens - so having 2 full baths was a must. The suite was perfect - clean, roomy and a TV/bath in each room. The hotel lobby was gorgeous. Ronan at the front desk was a pleasure!
I would highly recommend and plan on returning!

Green Features: Hotel provides reminders about not having sheets/towels changed daily.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Thank you Theresa W. for all of your positive comments about your stay! I am pleased that everything worked out with the location in relation to your son's house as well as with our Suze Suite for your family. I will make sure to pass along your kind words to all of the Lafayette staff and sincerely hope you will be returning soon to visit your son (and us!). Please feel free to contact me when you solidify any dates and I will make sure your next stay is as perfect as the last.
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2014

I'm just getting around to my review considering I stayed there for NYE. The party was amazing. The staff was great!! Sydney and Margarita were so friendly and amazing considering they were working while a huge party was going on, I just wanted to thank them for being so great! The entire staff was great! I saw the maintenance guys walking around and they were friendly and smiling, I loved the positive attitudes there!
My room was lovely! Although I didn't spend as much time in there as I would have liked but I plan on going back during spring break.
Everyone at the bar was fantastic! Either everyone at the Lafayette gets paid amazingly well or it is just a great place to work at! Whatever it is, we received great service! I read some of the other reviews, I don't know who helped them, but it sure wasn't the staff who was there on New Years Eve.

Room Tip: I would stay by the pool, opening the french doors early in the morning, the san diego breeze and su...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Josh L, General Manager at The Lafayette Hotel, Swim Club & Bungalows, responded to this review, January 15, 2014
On behalf of our hotel team, I would like to thank you for choosing the Lafayette Hotel Swim Club & Bungalows for your New Years' Eve celebration and hotel accommodations. I have proudly shared your experience with our hotel team. Your positive energy and commentary truly helps our team continue on the path to success and future development. Our commitment is to continuously improve on our guest overall experience. Feel free to reach out to me directly if I can update you on any future events at the Lafayette Hotel. Thanks again for choosing to stay with us.
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2014

Having read all of the previous reviews this hotel was what I was expecting.
The pool ares is nice and was quiet when I was there (December though) I would say the only thing I was disappointed in was the bedroom, I was not spending a lot of time in my room so it was not that important really but it was not that big as I had expected.
I would probably stay again though

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for choosing to stay at the Lafayette Hotel Swim Club & Bungalows! Our team is so appreciative of your comments and feedback regarding your stay at our hotel. There are various room types at the property and I understand that you did not have the chance to experience our larger more popular rooms during your stay. I'd like to recommend our Suze Suites or even our Bungalow Rooms during your next visit to San Diego. These two room types tend to have great value and also have the added space which can be forty to sixty percent larger than our standard rooms. If I can help with any future reservations, please feel free to reach out to me directly. Thanks again for sharing your experience at the Lafayette Hotel.
Lorca, Spain
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014 via mobile

We stayed four nights in the main block, it was value for money and we loved the pool and it's environs. The hotel is well located for the Hillcrest area of town and Balboa Park. The whole history of the place is the real draw here, Bob Hope was the first guest and Johnny Weismuler designed the Olympic size pool.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
South Bend, Indiana
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

1,very bad telephone service, no person answering for long time, holding long and the answer is "I do not know, you can call ###"
2,if you want change the room from one-bed to two beds, you need pay extra money, but if the other way, no money return!!
3, Constructions around the hotel
4, The sound insulation of the walls are terrible, you can hear the talking very clear from the next room.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Josh L, General Manager at The Lafayette Hotel, Swim Club & Bungalows, responded to this review, January 7, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review the Lafayette Hotel. After thoroughly reviewing your comments, it is clear that we did not meet your expectations. Phone service is an extremely important task of our Guest Services team and I apologize for any inconvenience regarding our lack of communication. Our team is committed to ensuring we implement a better strategy for responding to our loyal guests, especially during extremely stressful and challenging times for our staff. As the City's temporary construction improvements come to a close, noise will be reduced and will continue to get better as projects are fully finished. Our staff have taken a more proactive approach in notifying our guests of any road construction upon arrival. The hotel also offers siesta kits complimentary to our guests, and upon request. If I can help with any future requests or address any added concerns, I will be available at your convenience. Thank you for choosing the Lafayette Hotel.
South Bend, Indiana
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

When my friend upgraded her reservation from 1 king bed room to 2 queen bed room, she was charged for extra money. However, when we changed our booking from 2 queen bed room to 1 king bed room, the price rate was still the same. The phone service is unsatisfactory, and lacks patience. In late night, we cannot sleep well, since the talks from the next room were clearly heard.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Greetings,
Thank you for choosing to stay at the Lafayette Hotel Swim Club & Bungalows for your recent trip to San Diego. After reviewing your comments, I understand that we did not meet the expectations that you deserve as a hotel guest. I can see how you were frustrated with the room type and I truly apologize for any inconveniences. Our intention is to always accommodate every guest request. I have shared your comments with the proper Guest Service team members and Managers to ensure that we properly handle these types of requests better in the future. If you would like to further discuss, I invite you to call me directly at 619-780-0359. Thank you so much for taking the time to review your experience at the Lafayette Hotel.

Been to The Lafayette Hotel, Swim Club & Bungalows? Share your experiences!