“Beautiful surroundings, rooms were just decent.” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Bed & Breakfast Package
Ranked #158 of 271 Hotels in San Diego
California
“Beautiful surroundings, rooms were just decent.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2009

I will first start by saying that this hotel wasn't all that bad. I personally would not stay there again just because I don't like the old style decor, and would much rather prefer the modern design, however that's just me.

The staff was excellent and extremely helpful with everything I needed, check in was a complete breeze although I was extremely dissappointed that with as many parking spots as this hotel has they still charge for parking.. But it is San Diego and a lot of places outside of the downtown area are starting to charge now. They do have patrolled access gates however in and out so that does add a little security.

The first room i was given was called a garden room which sounded nice, it wasn't in one of the large towers so I figured it would have beautiful sceanary and would be very quite. Quite the opposite actually, my scenary outside my window was of an ugly fence and I could hear everything going on outside my room. The worst thing about it though was when i opened the door I actually laughed at how small the room was, basically it was just barely large enough for the bed and the television, which was horribly small also. The bathroom was like a matchbox. I called the front desk and told them I wanted a room that was a little larger and they were quick to accomodate, they placed me in one of the towers on the ground floor so I had a patio. They even sent a bellman to my garden room to deliver my new room keys, he even offered to give us a ride to the new room. Once again excellent service. When i opened the door to the new room I was given I was pleasantly suprised. The bathroom was extremely large, with a second sink and vanity area. The bed was huge and the room itself was rather large, with built-in AC so it was never noisey when it was ran. The television also got much larger to with the new room.

So my recommendation to anyone preparing to stay at this hotel is to tell the staff members that you would like a room in one of the two main towers, those rooms do not serve to disappoint, and while I was on the ground floor with many rooms above me I was not disturbed my noise at all. Everything was great, the bed was even really comfortable. Just keep in mind that since this is an older hotel the rooms have older style decors.

They did maintain their grounds very well however and all the surroundings were great.

• Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (523)
Fitchburg, MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2009

Not much to say about the resort other than the fact I don't like having to pay for internet service in the room with the cost per night.

Melody @ Kelly's was a great waitress. Funny, sarcastic (as we started with the sarcasm) and just made our Sunday night dinner a topic of conversation for half the night.

Hope to see her again next year!

Dave from Fitchburg, MA who was hangin' with the Aussies!

• Stayed May 2009
Montana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2009

Great location! Rooms very large and had space to invite friends over to "hang -out"! Was late for check in but they kept my room without me having to call! Pool area clean and a great treat! Freeway close but you do not know it by how quiet the hotel is! Staff will help locate points of interest to go to! I am a quilter and they found close shop for me!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2009

We stayed at the Town and Country resort while in San Diego for the National School Board convention a couple times now and absolutely LOVE this place!!!  They have the best restaurants, the most gorgeous flowers and grounds, and their rooms are so quaint!!  We will always stay at this resort when we come to San Diego!!!  Pati Muklevicz at the Trellis restaurant was extremely accomodating when she heard we were in a hurry to catch a flight!

US
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2009

This trip was to visit family in the San Diego area. My sister works at one of the hotel restaurants. She was my tour guide and as we walked around the grounds to get familiar with the layout I was delighted to see so many roses full of color and Healthy. Lucky for my to be there at the height of the blooming season.
The room was very clean, it was quiet and I was very comfortable staying there.

Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
Ventura, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2009

This hotel was a recommended pick for a business conference.

I looked at the web site and decided to sign up for Town and Country Resort’s Preferred Corporate Program. I travel to San Diego several times per year and thought the web site looked nice and am always willing to try something new.

The area is well known to me, having stayed across the street ( really freeway) several times at the Sheraton and the Marriott.

I was surprised when a rep. from the hotel called me and regarding the Preferred Club. The woman indicated the “club” wasn’t offered for “convention people.” Should have been my first clue.

I arrived on a Sunday afternoon and found the outside of the hotel to be clean and well kept with a “country village” type atmosphere. There was plenty of parking . Inside the Lobby , a line of about 15 people were waiting to check in, there were 2 front desks clerks.

A booth for “VIPS” was in the middle of the Lobby , with another clerk talking with a fourth clerk. Neither of these people assisted with what I thought to be quite a long line of travelers waiting to check in. It took 25 minutes to get thru the line.

Hotel $ 147.00 a night
Internet Fee $10.00 a day
Parking fee $ 14.00 a day
Fitness Center $10.00 a day
Local calls $ 2.50 each
Occupancy Tax $ 15.44 a day
Change in reservation $50.00

Ok still with me.. Did I mention upon check -in a young person with a back pack sign-ined with an $85 dollar a night rate ..

My first room was in the 3300 building, this hotel must have a thousand rooms. It looks like a few 50 year old country motels , with a high tower and a some random buildings. It is quaint, the flowers are nice and there are cute streets and welll …

So I get to the two story building, no elevators. But its all good, I don’t need one. The hallways are inside and dark, first floor is filled with students -the doors are open and its LOUD. A woman is screaming at them to hurry up. ( oh no I’m thinking)

My room is on the second floor. A well dressed older European couple and I offer wary looks. I open the door to the worst MUSTY - OLD carpet smell. The carpet is blue and probably really old , the fabric on the bedspread thread worn. The smell is overwhelming. I phone the front desk. Oh she says , yes some “people complain about that building “

Back to the front desk , back in line and a new key. < I did hear one woman exclaim to another about her four poster bed in the room - I was hopeful) My next room is set at the end of the property . There is an alley way leading to somewhere near the freeway which I can hear very plainly. The out side is kinda funky cute, well worn white paint cute terrace of flowers. I can do funky , even thread worn if its clean..

Inside the room with two double beds smells like old unwashed clothes. Gross. The carpet is really stained , a white chalking smear is on one of the bed covers. A glass on a plastic tray is shining sticky. The fabric lampshades are whiteish grey and dusty. There is a dead bug enclosed in the picture frame directly over the bed. Looks like a tic. I pull back the covers and a black curly hair is laying on the sheet. The other bed looks clean so I fold away the cover and wash my hands. I wish I would have had my camera.

On a happy note the bathroom is clean. Except for the wall next to the toilet where there are some dried brown drips. I’m thinking a spray bottle of cleaner , paper towels and buying some sheets will get me thru the week.

In the middle of the night I hear the freeway and the guy next door snoring. Ho hum .

I have read the reviews of this place and maybe if you are a VIP , there are better rooms. The Town and Country is a dump as far as I am concerned. Do not stay here if you can help it. If you book rooms for someone - do them a favor and book somewhere else.

Right across the street are the Hilton, residence inn , Sheraton , double tree ..

I will never recommened this place to anyone. In fact I suggest they stay away. The management is fooling themselves if they think business such as this will carry them thru. I spend about 60 nights a year in hotels and this is the worst i have ever seen.

ca
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2009

my biggest complaint about this hotel is with the internet service. they charge if you want internet access in your hotel room, but this is not at all worth it. the service has gone down both mornings i have been here, and there is barely a signal during most of the day - worse than dial-up. it was impossible to even check my email in my room. they have free internet at the restaurants at the hotel and you are probably better off using that. if you do have problems with the internet, you should complain to the front desk. i was told that 'they do not know that the internet is bad because no one ever complains about it'

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
TownCountryTerry, Director of E-Commerce at Town and Country Resort & Convention Center, responded to this review, July 6, 2009
Thank you very much for staying with us and for voicing your displeasure with our internet provider. First of all I do apologize that the internet service at the hotel was less than ideal. We are in fact aware of the poor service of our current internet provider and we are in the process of switching to a new provider. This process should be completed by mid August. Thank you again for staying with us at the Town and Country. On your next trip to San Diego this situation will have been corrected.

Been to Town and Country Resort & Convention Center? Share your experiences!