“An Oasis in the City” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #130 of 269 hotels in San Diego
Sacramento
“An Oasis in the City”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2008

We arrived for vacation the week after labor day - as a side note, apparently this is not a busy time for hotels, and it was very peaceful and quiet there. Our room was in the towers, was clean and quiet, and was close to public transportation. The concierge made an excellent recommendation for a dinner dance cruise, saving us some money and providing a much better experience. Customer service was friendly and efficient, and the restuarants were decent. The hotel was prepared for our arrival, made special transportation arrangements for us, and we were able to truly enjoy our stay - one morning I slept in until noon as it was so quiet, and this never happens at hotels for me! I did sense it catered more to business travelers than vacation travelers, however, this does not deter me from returning and may in fact hav enhanced the paceful atmosphere and great customer service. We hope to return next year.

• Liked — Landscaping, peaceful environment
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
TownCountryTerry, Director of E Commerce at Town and Country Resort Hotel, responded to this review, October 5, 2008
Thank you so much for your positive review especially for the wonderful comments on our staff. We pride ourselves on our commitment to guest satisfaction and we are pleased we exceeded your expectations. It sounds as if you had a wonderful time on your vacation and were able to take in numerous city sites. Thank you for choosing the Town and Country. We look forward to your next visit!

2,380 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (454)
OC, CA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2008

Well, I read the reviews before I made my reservation but due to a special circumstance (long story!) I decided to stay here anyway.
I've stayed at motels that are nicer than this hotel. I would not recommend nor go back there again. I paid $179 a night and definitely not worth it by my measures.

• Disliked — Outdated rooms, lack of parking spaces
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
Spokane, WA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2008

I recently stayed at the Town and Country Hotel for a conference, and I absolutely will never willingly set foot here again; in fact, I'm also recommending to my employer that we never schedule another seminar there. I hadn't read any reviews whatsoever about the place before heading there, so I didn't have any preconceived notions about what I would find, other than the pictures on the hotel's website. Needless to say, the hotel is completely unacceptable as a business destination. So, where to begin...

* Accommodations
The room we stayed in was in one of the hotel's two towers, known as the Regency. The hotel was decrepit. Everywhere you look, paint is scraped and chipped, lightbulbs are burnt out (and allowed to stay that way), windows have dirt in the corners, there are dings in the walls and door jambs, and other such problems. Our room itself has obviously not been updated since the late 80's, to include the comforter, which was faded and frayed. The bathroom is lit by two dim bulbs, which is fine, since brighter light would have drawn even more attention to the stained bathtub, yellowed and peeling grout, and rusty hinges on the door. The door itself looks like it has been repeatedly urinated on, as it is streaked yellow.

The air conditioning in our room was so pitiful that we ran it non-stop from the time we arrived to the time we left, and it was never able to bring the room temp below 72º. It was also unable to remove the mugginess from the air. We slept with the window open the first night, but, sad to say, our room faced the San Diego Herald-Tribune loading docks, so at 3:30 AM we were assailed with the crash of tractor-trailers backing up to receive shipments of newspapers. The window stayed closed after that.

The grounds were beautiful, with rose bushes everywhere, and arbors, trellises, and cute little architectural touches in abundance. Of course, many of those touches, such as ornamental scrollwork, were straight from Home Depot and simply glued in place and painted; they were often askew or chipped and peeling. It was the equivalent of adding as much garnish to a dinner plate as possible to try and hide the fact that the main course was only so much boiled shoe-leather.

In addition to everything else, our toilet stopped flushing on the second day. After we called maintenance to fix it, it wouldn't stop flushing. It's feast or famine at the Town & Country. Speaking of famine...

* Food
Business travelers and convention-goers are usually on a time crunch, as they have only so much time to eat and then be back at the next session or class. The food service at the hotel was so slow that a number of us had to skip meals or eat cold cuts from the deli; when you have only an hour and it takes 40 minutes to get just your drinks, there is a problem. The food was also sub-par; the breakfast buffet at the Terrace Cafe is to be avoided at all costs. The food is cold, rubbery, and of a quality well below that of most fast-food places. The ribs at Kelly's Steakhouse were overdone and dried out, as was the BBQ chicken; the only thing worth eating was the appetizer. Charlie's Bar & Grill was agonizingly slow and overpriced; $13 hamburgers and expensive sodas can quickly eat up your per-diem allowance.

* Connectivity
As a business traveler, it is essential to stay connected to the office, and Internet access is a key part of that for anyone operating in the 21st century. Here, too, the Town and Country was a let-down. With no wired access, you are forced to purchase ($3 an hour or $10 for 24 hours) wi-fi access through a vendor called LodgeNet. However, the access was so spotty that I was unable to reliably check email, and had to spend over ninety minutes on the phone with LodgeNet tech support to even get connected.

* Staff
The front-office staff were professional to the point of being brusque, but I only had to deal with them rarely. The waitstaff at Kelly's were utterly clueless, even to the point of failing to unlock the front door on time (we had to go in through the lounge and then tell them that the door was still locked). The waitstaff at Charlie's were arrogant and ignorant of the needs of the customers.

The only two places I found excellent staff were at the Trellises restaurant and the in the housekeeping staff. At Trellises, both Angelica and Jesus, and a third gentleman whose name I didn't catch, were charming and responsive, and the food was excellent. As for the housekeeping staff, they did an excellent job with what they had to work with, and our housekeeper took extra special care with my boys' stuffed animals and even hung our wet swimsuits back up after having cleaned the bathroom.

* Conclusions
Overall, the front-line staff are doing the best they can in the absence of involved and commited top management, which may either be uninterested or incapable of improving the place. The Town and Country has the feeling of a sinking cruise liner; the band is still playing, but the ship is getting lower and lower in the water, and it is only a matter of time before it slips beneath the waves. Unless it is saved by a rescuer with an infusion of cash and competence, the Town and Country does not have much longer to live. I have already sent a note to our central education office (of a government agency with 160,000 employees) asking them to avoid scheduling us at this hotel in the future.

• Liked — Location, greenery, certain staff members
  • Disliked — Pretty much everything else. I've been at roach motels that were better.
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. Please accept our sincere apologies for the numerous problems you encountered during your stay with us. It was disappointing to read your comments. Since your review is so extensive and since I am not aware of the room that you occupied during your stay could you please contact Ms. Susanna Weber our Guest Relations Manager at 1-800-242-6527 and she will be happy to address your comments. In the meantime I have passed your comments on to all the department managers especially the manger of Trellises where your comments on some of our staff members were so positive. Also as a side note we are in the process of renovating the Regency Tower rooms at this time. Please know that we do value your business and hope you will allow us another opportunity to be of service to you.
Bay Area, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2008

Stayed here as part of the San Diego Comic Con room block. A pretty standard hotel stay. Nothing major to complain about. Check-in took about 10 minutes. Parked in the rear lot, which was closer to where our room was. Parking fee was normal (we're from San Francisco Bay Area so we're used to paying for parking rather than expecting it to be free). Hotel room was small and very dated decor (country style) but for us it was just a place to sleep and rest so we didn't much mind the decor. Common walls between rooms are very thin though and if you have neighbors it can definitely be an issue.

The location is convenient to the San Diego Trolley and buses plus a mall as well. We took advantage of the trolley location to get to Downtown San Diego and it was pretty convenient.

Checkout as a bit weird though. We attempted to checkout via the television system and it told us that we couldn't check out through that until 11:10 a.m., which is 10 minutes beyond the actual check out time. We ended up driving back up to the lobby and checking out there. The line was 5 or 6 people deep so it took about 15 minutes. All told, driving back to the front and waiting in line probably used up 20 to 25 minutes that we could saved had the television checkout been working properly.

Overall minor quibbles though. The convenient location for us definitely was a plus in an otherwise average hotel stay.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
TownCountryTerry, Director of e Commerce at Town and Country Resort Hotel, responded to this review, October 5, 2008
Thank you for your comments. Please know that we do read all of our comment cards whether they are on line or written. I agree with you that one of the best features of our hotel is our convenient, central location with the addition of the trolley stop on property and Fashion Valley mall located directly behind us. I am sorry that you encountered a problem with our remote check-out and that the check out process took longer than should have. The problem with remote check out has been corrected and we have committed to more guest service agents at our desk to insure we exceed your expectations at check-out. Thank you for your business and your comments. We look forward to seeing you next year during Comic-Con.
Cincinnati
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2008

Stayed here with a previous conference a few years back--even staying on the company's dime, I would absolutely not recommend this "resort" (?). See reasons below:

Check-in debacle:
Checked in at 10 p.m. with two young children to find out that they didn't have "a room with a bed" available for us until the following day. Yes, folks, there are indeed hotel rooms without beds?!?!? Not to mention that the room had been reserved for nearly two months, so what happened to our room? Okay, whatever...the kids and I are tired from being in planes and airports for the past 6 hours. Have to wait for the only bellhop in the place (yes, only one on a busy Saturday night and the place was hopping). He takes a large group off to their room--we can't walk to ours w/ our bags and a brass luggage cart because the staff "can't allow guests to use them" (oddly enough, they stay chained up to posts around the property). So we wait, and wait...and wait some more. The 6 minutes slowly turned into 25 minutes :( Ugh...tired, grumpy kids...

Make it to the bed-less hotel room (via golf cart because it's all of a 2-minute ride and all) and they have a portable cot/bed delivered. There is a pullout sofa bed in the room, but it's so paper thin and uncomfortable that we are forced to actually rearrange heavy furniture in this room so that my youngest can sleep on two overstuffed chairs that are facing each other. Sigh...

Paid $35 for two kids' buffets and 1 adult buffet for breakfast the next morning since we were all starving from our travels. The food was below par, although the service was great. I found this to be true throughout the stay. The maids and waitstaff were courteous and friendly, while the "professional" staff up front could learn some customer service lessons from these hardworking folks! Honestly!!!!

To add insult to injury, I make it over to the supposed state-of-the-art workout facility (I can't vouch for this because I didn't actually go into it OR see anyone using it at any point in passing by) on the grounds inside of the day spa (also, not busy) to be greeted by the less-than-enthusiastic desk person by, "Oh, are you staying here with a conference?" I reply with, "Well, yes I am." Then: "Oh, they must have forgotten to tell you about the fee for use: $8/day." WHAT??? I'm paying $14 per day to park, ungodly markup on ho-hum food, overpriced (not to mention old and run-down furnishings in the) room, and now I'm nickle-and-dimed to workout??? I immediately left, of course, only to watch another fellow walk in and right back out. Who pays to use a treadmill at a hotel? I'm sure the Vagabond Inn around the corner has a free workout facility.

In the end, I'm sure the management will kindly thank me for my feedback and apologetically promise to look into the issues I raised (as you've probably read in the other 150+ previous reviews). But, it's obvious to anyone and everyone reading these that the management is NOT willing to follow through with this because the same complaints would not be consistently arising. Okay, management, let's here a real game plan on turning this place around?!?!?!

All in all, save your money and stay somewhere else on Hotel Circle. Everything in this area is convenient and accessible, not just the Town & Country. Believe me...I gave it a second chance and will NOT make it a third!

• Liked — Convenience is the only thing going for ya
  • Disliked — Overpriced everything (pay to workout, pay for internet, pay for parking, and overpriced bad food
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2008

So I am sitting here in the Town & Country resort room that was booked for me by my company. I have to say that the grounds are amazing, beautiful, and well taken care of. I wish the rooms were as well taken care of as the rooms. The rooms are outdated, old, and need some TLC.

The arm chair i'm sitting in is lumpy, and old. So is the bed I had last night. LUMPY and OLD. You guys need new beds. Every high-end hotel or even budget hotels are getting new beds these days. Even the Comfort Inns and Quality Inns.

For me, if the bed is great, than the room itself is not so important. But, since the bed is bad, I look to other things inside the room to off-set the bad bed. This doesn't seem to be happening. :-( Furniture is old and worn out. Towels, small, and not very thirsty.

TV is old, and needs more channels. Bravo, etc...

Room is NOT private at all, I am facing the parking lot with sheer curtains. You can totally see in at night. Not good for changing clothes or just after a shower. I don't like closed windows, or cover windows, so this is a problem. I asked them for a more private room, but they said that they didn't have any other rooms, and that it would be better to call the next day. I haven't called yet because I'm kind of settled here already, but would still entertain something else. I asked the desk clerk last night to make a note of it, but NO ONE called me today to see if I still wanted to change. I justed to work in hotels, and if we had a note like that, we would have called them to see if they wanted to change rooms, accommodated them, and sold their old room to someone else. I did ask for a nicer room when we checked in. I was educated on types of rooms from their website, and saw one I liked. But was told the one I wanted wasn't in a good place... Well, I am looking at 20 cars out my window right at this very moment. Is that good? I think it could be better. PLUS it's loud. People constantly walk by talking, yelling, or just making noise as they walk. Not very relaxing.

I am surprised at the spa/gym. They charge for those. $10/day for the gym and NO AMMENITIES. or $25 for 3 day. I was told too, that 3 day gym "membership" with sauna, hot tub, and steam was $65... OUTRAGEOUS! These things should be included with the gym price - regardless. There's an advertisement in the rooms for the Spa and gym - sounds and reads like hot tub, steam, sauna should be included. No mention of PRICE or daily fees on the card in the room. UGH! And you wonder why there's no one there...

This place has 5 or so restaurants. I went to one last night, the Terrace. Food is diner-y. That's okay, it was 10pm when I checked in last night. Haven't been to any of the others yet. I'll follow up with more later if I can.

Oh, the windows don't reall open either. they are just louvered on the outside and windows on the inside. Not much flow through with those. Could use another window. or windows that OPEN. Speaking of open windows, the A/C is horrible! Doesn't really work. Works similar to a swamp cooler. Kinda cools, but not really.

Anyway, I'm in room 3250. If you decide to stay here, just beware of the noise in this room... VERY NOISY.

Thanks!

Tyler

• Liked — grounds
  • Disliked — old room decor - smell musty and old furniture.
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
TownCountryTerry, Director of E-Commerce at Town and Country Resort Hotel, responded to this review, September 30, 2008
at the Town and Country are amazing. We could not agree with you more. Our property is situated on 32 acres of lush landscaping with three pools, 2500 blooming rose bushes and 2000 palm trees. Since you did mention your room number I have sent that along with a copy of your comments to our Director of Hotel Operations so that he may actually inspect that specific room and make corrections as needed. Thank you for bringing any problems to our attention, we appreciate it very much.

We offer to our guests a full service fitness center with state of the art equipment along with a day spa. It appears you were misquoted on the price the cost is $10.00 per day or $25.00 for three days. This includes the use of the locker rooms, dry & wet sauna
and whirpool along with the fitness center.

I apologize that you were not contacted the next day for a room change even if there was not another room available. Additional follow up would have been appropriate in your situation. Please accept our sincere apologizes if your stay did not meet your expectations
I do hope that the next time your travels bring you to San Diego that you will give us a second and choose to stay with us again.

If you have a moment please contact Ms. Susanna Weber our Guest Relations Manager at 1-800-242-6527 and she will be happy to address your comments more specifically.
San Francisco, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2008

My son and I just returned from our trip to San Diego CA. The reason for the trip was to visit San Diego State University which he will be attending next year as a freshman. We stayed at Town and Country Resort Hotel for 3 days recommended by the AAA, and here's my review;

1) Checking-in to the Town and Country hotel was a nightmare! There were no/limited temporary parking spaces for hotel guests. The only parking lot that was available was blocked in and was for the paying customers only. Just as other hotel guests trying to find someplace to park their car, we were driving around and around in circles looking for open spots anywhere on the side of the building since there were no parking on the street. We ended up parking on the the driveway for hotel delivery truck. Many of the cars were double parked and drivers were fighting over an illegal parking space. It was a total pandemonium with and cars traveling in both directions on this narrow corridor in front of the entrance with either driver wanting to budge.

2) As expected there were long lines with people waiting to check-in (That resembles airport check-in) with lines curved around several times in front of lobby. The line was moving very slow due to only half of the front counter were open/manned and some of the guests were frustrated and cranky. After the mayhem outside the hotel fighting over a parking spot who could blame them. After about 20 minutes of waiting it was my turn. When I heard "Next in line" I stepped up to the counter. The customer service person behind the desk must be having a bad day by the way she moved about the behind the counter and from the way she handled my paperwork. When I mentioned to her about the parking situation/experience, she seemed unsympathetic.

3) After first night of stay, a maid left a (One liter bottle of water) in our room that says $2.50 if the seal is broken. This is not a complimentary bottle of water mind you. Anyway, I wasn't dying of thirst so we left that bottle of water alone. Later on that evening we ordered an In-room dining service; two small plate of something called California fruit palette and (Although there were no bottle water listed on their menu) 4 bottles of water. After the food delivery guy who banged on our front door continuously until we opened the door, as if we didn't hear after the first bang, we received our tray of food. The total bill came to whopping $70.00 dollars!! When I read the itemized receipt, to my surprise $5.00 per 20 oz bottle water X 4 = $20.00! I should've just opened the one liter bottle of water that was sitting on the desk for just $2.50. I don't get it.

When I asked the person working at the front desk how do you justify charging $5.00 for 20 0z bottle of water from the kitchen and then you leave one liter bottle in the room for $2.50? He had a very puzzled look on his face but gave me no answer.

4) If you like bugs there were plenty of that in our room. Our room guest consist of: one "Earwig" bug in our sink to greet us and two pretty good size spiders crawling around our ceiling doing tricks. Bugs don't bother us, however, something to watch for in your room if you have family members who are afraid of the bugs.

5) I've traveled all over the United States and stayed in many of the major hotel chains, and Town and Country hotel is our first that we have stayed that charges parking fee.

When our son attends San Diego State University next year to play football we will be visiting San Diego often, however, Town and Country will NOT be on our list of hotel we would want to stay. Overall, Town and Country experience is at the bottom.

• Liked — Resturant
  • Disliked — Price
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
TownCountryTerry, Terry Sobkowiak; Director of E-Commerce at Town and Country Resort Hotel, responded to this review, September 24, 2008
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. Please accept our sincere apologies for the numerous problems you encountered during your stay with us. Your comments were sent to our Front Office Manager, Director of Operations and our Chief Operating Officer.
I do know that the weekend you stayed with us was one of the busiest of the summer; however, it is not an excuse for the poor service you felt you were offered.
We pride ourselves on being committed to guest satisfaction and it seems we failed you during your stay.
If you have a moment please contact Ms. Susanna Weber our Guest Relations Manager at 1-800-242-6527 and she will be happy to address your comments. In the meantime rest assured that corrective measures have been taken with those departments involved and we hope that when your son plays against SDSU you will reconsider and stay with us again.

Been to Town and Country Resort Hotel? Share your experiences!