“The Perfect Place to Stay!” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Bed & Breakfast Package
Ranked #159 of 271 Hotels in San Diego
San Diego, California
“The Perfect Place to Stay!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2012

As a resident of Norh San Diego County we were looking for a great place to stay near the San Diego concert venue at SDSU and so I thought of the Town and Country Resort since it is so perfectly situated at the trolly stop where you can walk across a footbridge and take the trolly anywhere you want to go in San Diego!! But once we got to the hotel we wanted to just stay there and enjoy the beautiful lanscaping, pool and restaurants! The room was very spacious and staff was amazing! When we checked in and mentioned we were attending Van Halen that night we had the whole staff wanting to come along with us:-)! Thanks Town and Country Resort for being the perfect place to say for so many reasons!!

Room Tip: Rooms in the back building with a balcony overlooking the pool were great!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
, Manager at Town and Country Resort & Convention Center, responded to this review, June 25, 2012
I hope you enjoyed the Van Halen concert at SDSU! As you mentioned, the trolley right behind our property really makes it easy to get around San Diego and especially get you to the campus. We look forward to your next visit.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (523)
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2012

Don't even bother!

This place has technology issues, cleanliness issues, and charges their guests for 'extras'...ding.

Cleanliness: dishes were left outside my room and were there when I arrived; they were still there, ants, bugs, and everything, when I left.

Technology: the rooms at the Town & Country are up-to-date for 1999 Zenith CRT televisions.

This is a motor court style hotel that is located near the intersection of major freeways...why would they charge you 'extra' to park your car; that's what the hotel was originally designed for. Wi-Fi is also extra because why would teachers and professors traveling to San Diego for an educational conference expect to have free Wi-Fi included in their room costs ...by the way the Comfort Inn & Suites includes free Wi-Fi, parking, and hot breakfast ... most of the hotels around the Town & Country have free parking and Wi-Fi.

Discrimination: the hotel charges different rates to different guests based upon whether you booked through hotwire, http://hotels.com, AAA, or their own website. My colleagues paid $73 per night, which included parking and Wi-Fi, I paid $104 through the Town & Country website ...this was their 'summer sale' price and included a discount for AAA it did not include parking and Wi-Fi, which means my room cost $47 more per night for the same room as my colleague.

If you book a room here don't pay over $75 per night, which should include parking and Wi-Fi in a package deal through hotwire or http://hotels.com.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to post your review, we are sorry that you were so dissatisfied. We are in the process of updating all our hotel rooms, which includes new televisions. Regarding the different rates, this is standard practice in all hotels, we are sorry that you felt discriminated against, this was certainly not our intent. Should you wish to discuss your stay personally with someone, please contact our COO directly. Thank you.
Redlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2012

I came to San Diego to visit my mom and didn't have a reservation. I showed up at the desk and "Trisha"? was extremely accommodating. She told me no problem in getting me in and checked me in to a wonderful room. The Town and Country was very close to my mom's house so that was also nice - I even treated her to lunch in the restaurant with the patio and roses. It was a little pricey, but really good food. I will stay here again.

Room Tip: It's right off the freeway and easy to find because of all the palm trees
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
We are so pleased that you gave us a try! We look forward to hosting you again when you next come for a visit to see your mother and also look forward to having you at Trellises Garden Grille for a meal again. Thanks for posting your comments.
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2012

I had the chance to stay at the Town & Country resort in early May. It was such a nice change of pace from the typical meetings & conventions hotels I normally stay in. The surroundings and landscaping really made me feel like I've arrived in California and it was almost like stepping back in time to another era - in a good way! My room was at the towers and it was clean, big and comfortable. All of the staff were very attentive and helpful. Town & Country was a great place to come back to after the end of a long work day and helped you relax from the time you set foot on property.

Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your very nice posting! We appreciate your taking the time and hope that we have the opportunity to serve you again in the future.
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2012

Beautiful grounds, multiple restaurants, comfortable, spacious, clean rooms and friendly staff made my stay with Town and Country Resort Hotel easy and pleasant. The main restaurant has an excellent selection of entrees and the quality/taste of the food was delicious. Although I was unable to take advantage of the several pools throughout the resort due to my limited free time, they certainly looked clean and inviting.
The resort is also located across from one of the largest shopping malls in the vacinity.
I would not hesitate to recommend this property for business or pleasure. Enjoy!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your comments and for recommending our property to others for both business and pleasure. I hope that you return soon so that you can actually enjoy one of our 3 swimming pools and relax a bit. Again, thanks.
Columbia, South Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2012

Located on a large chunk of land between the interstate and a Mall, this is an interesting place. It is a little rough around the edges in places but has a lot to like and I would far rather stay here than a chain hotel anytime. The impression I had was of a property that had been allowed to run down and is now being brought back to life. The roughness seems more towards the rear of the property where you will find a lot of chipped paint and dirty looking concrete walkways, but there is also a very- much- in- evidence spruce up program under way. There was nothing objectional - just little things. I was like seeing a well dressed man wearing a pair of run down shoes. On the plus side, it is very reasonably priced and everyone on staff that I met was extremely friendly and helpful.
The property has a mixture of accommodation styles ranging from garden cottages to a nine story outside corridor cement block tower that is straight out of the 1970’s Holiday Inn design book. I booked a room in the tower as it was closest to the convention center, and it was ok, clean and well furnished with a balcony overlooking a swimming pool and gardens. One minor discontent is that the curtains were not light blocking and the exterior lighting from the hotel facade was fairly bright going to sleep. They were in the process of renovating a significant number of rooms on my floor and perhaps this will be addressed. Several garden style rooms had open doors as I walked around, and the ones I saw looked to be furnished about the same as my room in the tower. The advantage of the garden rooms is that the gardens are truly spectacular, meandering between the buildings, set with fountains and gazebos and lots of little nooks to rest and read a book. Most of the room blocks in the gardens area have very deep porch style roofs extending well away from the front of the building so you could never describe any of the rooms a sunny, but if you are visiting in the depths of summer that is probably a good thing.
It pays to ask a lot of questions about the room you are getting when you make a booking. ‘Without a view’ probably means you have a blank wall a few feet from your window. Some of the garden units face parking areas, while others have a large garden with gazebos and large swatches of lawn. Pool side accommodations may mean minimum privacy as people walk by, or it could bring you a private patio with mature plantings surrounding and great privacy. Ask a lot of questions.
The on-site food is good, with Trellises being favored over the Irish pub in my book. There are also several good restaurants in the Fashion Valley Mall, a two minute walk from the back of the property.
Parking and internet are separate charges, although they do offer a bundle package that gets you both for $14.95 per night.
Also, it is worth checking discount hotel sites if you are planning to stay here. I met several people who had booked rooms through a discounter and were paying up to $50.00 below the convention rate I was booked at.
I would not hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. We appreciate your taking the time to really point out different things. As you mentioned, a lot will be addressed with our renovation which is currently underway. We look forward to having you with us again.
Midway, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2012

Everything about the resort is great. the grounds are immaculate. The rooms are very comfortable. The BEST eggs benedict are at Trellises restaurant. It is located in the heart of the property. We were fortunate to be served by Pati Muklevicz. She's been there for as long as I can remember. She has a way of making everyone feel like a local and not a tourist. Next time you're in San Diego, stop by and see Pati at Trellises. And no, I do not work for the restaurant or resort. I just know the BEST eggs benedict when I taste them.

Richard Wira

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Barbara W, Manager at Town and Country Resort & Convention Center, responded to this review, June 13, 2012
Thank you so much for your very nice comments about the resort’s rooms and grounds, and the eggs Benedict that we serve in Trellises by our very special server Pati. We appreciate your taking the time to let us and others know where they can find the best eggs Benedict in town. We look forward to serving you again.

Been to Town and Country Resort & Convention Center? Share your experiences!