“A nice little hotel with a great location” 4 of 5 stars

Marina Inn and Suites
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   1943 Pacific Highway, San Diego, CA 92101   |
Ranked #210 of 271 Hotels in San Diego
Riverside, California
“A nice little hotel with a great location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2010

As many have said, this is a small, older hotel, but maintained nicely. We were greeted by Andrew who was very friendly with a welcoming sense of humor. He was very good about answering our questions and making sure we got everything that we needed.

We were given room 207 which was tucked in the back hallway on the second floor. I've had the "tucked away" room in other hotels and have found that they do not always represent what other rooms are like, they are more like an afterthought or an attempt to get one more unit out of a former storage room. This room was decidely better than that.

Room 207 is a King bed, "smoking" room. I say "smoking" in parentheses, because it is actually labled as a non-smoking room and had no ashtrays when we checked in. When we questioned it, we were told that it really was a smoking room and we were given ashtrays. I've had that happen a lot at other hotels so I mention it as a caveat to travelers who insist on a completely non-smoking room.

The room was smallish, but very clean and appointed with a sizeable TV, end tables and a table and two chairs. The view was of the wall of the property next door, but I think that was a benefit to reduce the noise of the nearby train tracks. We are not really all that sensitive to noise and found no problem with the train or airport noise.

Parking is kind of limited so I wouldn't want to check in too late on a busy weekend. The hotel will suggest off-site parking, but I think it's safer to park at the hotel.

The only thing that I questioned was a little note in the bathroom that advised guests to use the red washcloth to remove makeup "to avoid additional charges". Apparently they are concerned about stained white wash cloths. I've never seen anything like this in any hotel and thought it was kind of strange. I use white wash cloths at home and find that any detergent works well to remove makeup stains on towels. The motel also assesses a $50 security charge which they refund when you check out. Not sure what that's for - perhaps it has something to do with the notice in the room advising that customers will be charged for anything that turns up missing. The notice actually lists the prices for what they will charge. I initially thought that was a little odd and sort of unfriendly, but I guess it can be a major problem if you're running a little motel. No harm, no foul really.

The location is really the best asset of this property. It's an easy walk to the restaurants and attractions of Little Italy and also the Trolley station. If you are staying over the weekend, do not miss the Saturday farmers market on Date Street in Littly Italy. Amazing!

Overall, we had a very good stay and would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2010

This hotel is a very basic, inexpensive hotel so I was not expecting a lot. It is a good place to stay if you need to crash for a few days without the frills.

Pros: The bed was comfy and the pillows were fluffy, staff was very friendly and helpful, it was within walking distance to the train as well as other places (gaslamp, midway, conference center), room was clean, free wireless

Cons: Breakfast was very basic (oatmeal, coffee, boxes of cereal, hardboiled eggs, juice/milk), it was near a busy and loud (during the day) intersection, it was close enough to the airport to hear the planes coming and going.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
Trois-Rivieres, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2010

On aug. 11 they lost our reservation and they send us on Vagabond inn on circle street
at 300 ft. of the freeway 8 . in a room of the 80's dirty and noisy its a shame.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo
Yuma, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2010

We stayed here for a Dodgers-Padres Game. Loved the location, within walking distance to many attractions. Continental Breakfast, Very Clean Rooms, Very friendly and helpul staff specially from the front desk (John!). We now have a special place to stay on our next trip to San Diego.Thanks for making us feel like home! Go Dodgers!!!!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Los Angeles
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2010

Came down with the wife for the last day of ComicCon. I found the people behind the desk very helpful. Especially John. I'd forgotten my ComicCon tickets so he suggested I email him the link so he could print them out for me. He was also very attentive and caught that one of the tickets I emailed him didn't have a barcode (which I needed), so I resent it to him and he printed it out again. The room was clean. And the location was great, being only a couple of minutes walk from the Harbor Front. This is essentially a small, two story motel, not a hotel, but it's a good one. It has your basic amenities, HBO, wi-fi, and a bare-bones continental breakfast - wrapped muffins, fruit, cereal and porridge, plus coffee and orange juice. The room was expensive, but it was ComicCon and every jacks up their prices for it. And it was actually the cheapest one I could find on Hotwire. So no complaints.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2010

There is nothing under $200 available for the week of Comic Con (7/21-7/25) in San Diego, we were pleasantly surprise to find this hotel with a kids' suite (bunk beds in a separate room) under $200 per night. Having two queen beds and a separate bunk bed was great for our sleeping comfort!
The hotel location was just right close to all the public transportation (trolley, Amtrak) and one block from the Comic Con bus route, which saves us rental car and parking money. You can hear the trains at times, especially when Amtrak honks its horn. However, we see it as a trade off of convenience and we would rather have the convenience. So overall, it was not a problem for us.
I read the reviews by other customers beforehand and remembered John was mentioned as the most friendly staff member. Indeed, he was the one greeted us when we check-in and every morning. He made us feel right at home.
The continental breakfast was sufficient for us to do a "brunch", there were muffins, coffee, OJ, milk, cereal etc., the best was the hard boiled egg. It was served at their very compacted lobby area, but everything was clean and well-presented.
Probably the only thing I would comment is the newly painted kid's suite still has the paint smell, and it could become bothersome if you have the window closed. If you do not open all windows (3) in the room, sometimes the ventillation gets bad.
This is not a Marriott or Hilton (can't even get in this week, or at $400 a night), however, very much a true-to-value stay for our travel. Will recommend for stay.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
Boise, Idaho
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2010

This motel is located minutes from downtown and the gaslamp quarter, and seconds from little italy. The rates were reasonable, and the rooms were clean, but it was the service that stood out for us. Emily at the front desk was very helpful in recommending a place for us to dine that evening, and my husband and I ended up having a lovely and romantic first night in San Diego.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Marina Inn and Suites? Share your experiences!