“Not Recommended” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #210 of 271 Hotels in San Diego
San Diego, California
“Not Recommended”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2005

Our room was in serious need of renovation, had a strong stench of smoke even though it was a no smoking room, burns in the curtains and TV screen, and black mold almost covering the entire bathroom floor, extreemly tight parking, and train crossing nearby.

• Stayed May 2005

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2005

I made a reservation on Jan. 15, 2005 to stay one night on Jan. 27. The website quoted one price, the hotel called me back and wanted to charge me an extra $10 for the same room. I received a confirmation e-mail for Jan. 27 for what the website quoted as the price. I cancelled the reservation on Jan. 18. I looked at my credit card bill and noticed a charge to the Marina Inn & Suites on Feb. 28, 2005. I called and spoke to the owners and they insisted that I had a reservation on Feb. 27! I had no proof of this reservation, and they will not help me out! I'm cancelling my credit card. This establishment is very untrustworthy and practices very shady business deals.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2005

As a visitor from Europe I've never seen a dump like this before. Outsmoked rooms, forgotten underware of the last run away guest in the closet, and a rude, cheating porter who rips you off your money ($145 a night)
people beware, there are better and cheaper places to stay in SD.
If you are suicidal this is the place to be, Noisy from the front by heavy trucks and from the back by amtrack (blow the whistle boy).
Tear this place down please
(I moved over to the Bristol hotel after the second night -- it was 3 stars better and cheaper)

• Stayed December 2003, traveled on business
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2004

If you are looking for a mold-smelling bathroom (an attempted paint job to cover it up on the bathroom ceiling), a large rusty ring aroung the bathtub drain, dingy white towels, a bathroom door that has to be slammed in order to close it, a desk chair that will fall apart when sat in, claims to have free phone calls which was advertised on their website, however, I was charged $0.50 per call, then this is it. I would NEVER recommend this establishment to anyone!!!

3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2004

Stayed for 1 week, good service and good location at a great price. Some noice from trains and street traffic. Close to marina, downtown, busses and trains.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2004

Booked through this website cos of the wonderfull rate, of 50 bucks for a night. Was cheapest available room in that area. The rooms are average, but great location, and cofee in the morning was a plus. Need more work. Other hotels on the same block were selling at 90 dollars or up, so i guess it wasnt a bad bargain if you wanna save a few bucks on the room and spend it on some other stuff. Housekeeping was above average. i spent 3 days and will go back if they give me the same good price.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2004

Had to call and make reservations - woke up person that answered the phone at the front desk at 11pm! He would not take my reservation, told me to call back in the AM and hung up on me! When I called back - he did not answer the phone. Hello are we NOT operating a business or WHAT! I might also mention that I am a tour operator and would never ever suggest to my clients this piece of trash property. Steer clear of this extremely rude and unprofessional motel!

Been to Marina Inn and Suites? Share your experiences!