“OMG!!!!” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #201 of 270 Hotels in San Diego
Sydney, Australia
“OMG!!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2014

Are you people serious I can't believe a health inspector hasn't shut this place down. We travelled here with our 2 yr old son within 10 minutes of being here we decided the cot was not good enough for our son to sleep it. Dead bug in the cot and on our bed we slept on our beach towels. The shower was filthy and we used it with our flip flops on with the first number 2 in the toilet it was blocked and sent my brother in law in search of a tree branch to clear it. Constant traffic noise and people knocking on the door of reception asking "how much for 1hr?" My husband spent most of the night searching online for alternative accommodation there was no way we would spend another night here,,,

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

I decided to book here after reading the good reviews other customers left about this place on tripadvisor but for the first them, TripAdvisor has let me down:

check in July 27th 2014, check out July 28th 2014.

1. booking:I booked Queen room for 1 night 2 days prior to my trip using their official website. the price was $99/night. on the day of my check in, I checked the website again and the price for the same room on the same day was $79 so I called them and asked them for price adjustment , they said "print out the page that shows the new price and bring it on time of check in" which was very weird answer but I printed it out and when I showed it to them they said "sorry we can't do anything about that, it's the policy!!" so were we playing games when I called you and you told me to print out the page and bring it to you?

2. the room: totally different from the pictures they posted on their website. very very small, totally different furniture, no desk, no phone, no chairs, no table, smaller TV, very dirty curtains and windows, terrible outside view, bare cold floor (uncovered), and ugly design and colors. I didn't try to change the room because I know they would let me down again so why bother? I just dropped my suitcase and left the room

3. Breakfast: the 24 hour reception service doesn't know what time the breakfast is but they know that breakfast is at the reception itself so that was enough for me to forget all about the FREE breakfast thing!

4. parking: very limited spots, I had to look for a parking spot outside the motel for over 15 mins until I found the last spot at the Pacific Inn nearby. don't know what other customers did

5. A/C: it worked but tooooooooooooo noisy

6. check out: they didn't even bother to ask if I had a nice stay!

7. Location: the only good thing about the motel, did my best to spend as little time at the motel as possible

so my overall experience with Marina Inn and suites was terrible.for the quality of service and rooms they have, I wouldn't pay more than $20/night

would I recommend it to anyone? definitely not (unless the room was not more than $20/night then maybe!)

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Montreal, Quebec
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

The room was clean and the place was not not so bad, good location too. BUT they take my 50$ deposit on my credit card even we left the room perfectly clean !
Really disappointing , even after talking with the manager by email , nothing !

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Phoenix, Arizona
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

Stayed here for 2 nights after the 4th of July weekend.Room was dirty, we had to run the maid down the next day to get our room cleaned.This was at 2:30 PM. Nowhere to park, people park in front of other people's cars, just a mess.Location is great, however that is all you get here ,location

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
GuestRelationsDept, Public Relations Manager at Marina Inn and Suites, responded to this review, July 25, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this review. We love all feedback because it means an opportunity to grow.

I am a little bit concerned about the comment you made about your room being dirty. We provide a welcome call to all of our guests, why when we called did you not mention the room being dirty and why did you wait until the next day to try and track down a maid? If the room was indeed dirty a simple phone call to the front desk would have solved the problem.

Thank you for mentioning our parking and location. Our parking is free at our location and often busy because of the amount of attractions and things to do at our around our hotel. We love being in the heart of Downtown, San Diego were there are so many great things to do, places to eat and activities to explore.

Again, thank you for taking the time to write this review.

Las vegas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

It is always a nice and a comfy place to go stay in SD, the staff is GREAT!! Always very pleasant and willing to help with your needs and interests..i wish could have stay one day longer! But I will definetely recommend it and I will comeback on my next trip to SD!! Thanks!

• Stayed July 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

It was so nice to see you again and thank you so much for taking the time to acknowledge us on TripAdvisor!

Our staff really appreciate the compliment as they work so hard to provide the best customer service around. We love trying to cater to our every guest need and we love repeat guests.
We can’t wait to see you again, maybe next time you can pick up some free zoo tickets at the front desk or bring some family and friends to enjoy our many amenities!

Hope to see you soon!

Wollongong, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

Definitely value for money. Our flight was delayed from Honolulu so we didn't arrive at the motel till midnight. The staff at the front desk were really friendly and helped with directions to late night cafes and restaurants. This hotel is so close to the airport with free parking I would definitely recommend it for a 1 or 2 night stay.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest.

Thank you so much for taking time out of your day to write such a positive review. We love knowing our guests had a pleasant stay with us.

Thank you for mentioning how wonderful out staff is. I personally think they are the best around! Great customer service is a standard at all of our hotels.

Thank you also for mentioning how wonderful our locations is. We are located near so many convenient traveling systems such as the airport, the harbor, the trolley station and the bus systems that getting anywhere is in San Diego is so easy!

Our location right next to Little Italy also provides excellent food at all hours of the day with virtually any type of food you may wish to eat!

Again, thank you for taking the time. Your opinion is always valued.

Katelyn Bishop
Phoenix, Arizona
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

LISTEN AND LISTEN GOOD. There are only two kinds of people who stay at the Marina Inn and Suites: those who don't know any better and those who've been tricked by sites like Travelocity. I fell in the latter category.

This past Fourth of July weekend, my husband and I booked a two-night stay at a hotel through Travelocity's mystery deals for our San Diego trip. The way this feature works is that you book first, then find out where you're going. And we poor, unfortunate souls ended up being sent to the Marina Inn and Suites. Once the name was revealed, we quickly did research and realized that there were many negative remarks from consumers. Since our payment of $356.68 was non-refundable, our trip was sealed.

Even though we were uncomfortable with the place upon arrival, we tried to make the best of it until we encountered a ROACH making a journey across the carpet! I have the pictures to prove it! We wanted to leave immediately. We were beyond disgusted because we know where there's one roach, there are many. And roaches say a lot about a place. In our many travels, we have never paid money to share a room with such vile creatures. We reported the roach incident to the front desk and they came to spray Boric acid in the room because we wanted to have peace of mind. Now, whatever was in that bottle looked more like soap and water!!!

The only good thing about staying at this MOTEL was knowing that our day was packed with activities and we didn't have to stay in it for long. This place is nothing but false advertisement. Their pictures are a lie from He**. It's nothing like an Inn or a Suite. I know some Yelpers claim, "you get what you paid for" but I expect better even if I only handed over a dollar. I won't bore you with more negative details but in a nutshell, the place is a dump. It's dirty and old. I took a shower with sandals on and never let my feet touch the carpet. You can visibly see the smear of dirt on the curtains. And the room did not come with an iron nor an ironing board. Yeh, yeh, yeh, parking is free but it's so limited. And yes, your pets stay for $20 a night and the location is somewhat prime, but it's not worth your dime nor your time.

Upon check out, we had to take the time to shake down our clothes and belongings to make sure we weren't taking any uninvited guests back home with us. Though we did some cool activities while in San Diego, the roach incident is unforgettable. Moving forward, I will not use Travelocity for future travels cause I can't believe they sent us there! Surely they do their research! Talk about their slogan, "go and smell the roses." It was more like, "go and smell the roaches."

My husband and I are by no means hotel snobs, but after this experience we won't stay anywhere unless it's four-stars and up. We will pay the extra buck or two to have a clean, comfortable stay.

--------------------------------------------------­-------------
NOTE: This message is for any response from Marina's personnel. Unless you intend to make this right, do not attempt to write a reply. From reading responses to other posts, I find them empty and tiresome.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest,

First of all I would like to take this moment to thank you for writing your review. We appreciate any and all opportunity for growth within our company and hospitality service.

I would like to also take this time to address some of your concerns. As an extra precaution for our guests we pay $400.00 a month for a pest control service who comes twice a month. We call it our preventative services to ensure that we do not nor will we ever have bug problems at our location. However, it is summer and small insects seek cool places too. My concern is that, though you claim to have pictures you never showed us. Despite all this we tried our best to help ease your mind, which included getting a hold of our pest control vendor and asking for a bottle of Boric Acid to be sprayed immediately into your room.

If you further had an issue with the way we tried to help you and with the product we used, why did you then not ask to switch rooms? When we provided a welcome call, as we do all of our guests, there was no mention of dirty curtains, no mention of a desire to change rooms, or any other comments that even gave us a hint that you were unhappy about your stay.

I want to thank you for mentioning positives about our hotel, such as our $20 pet policy and our location. We too think San Diego is a wonderful and convenient place to vacation with so many great attractions nearby by like Seawolrd, The San Diego Zoo, and The Star of India.

Lastly, I am also a little upset about your “NOTE” regarding our reviews. It is my duty as Public Relations Manager to respond to every, single, review written about the hotels that I work for. I personally take the time to read each review and respond to the compliments and concerns addressed. I find that your comment that you find my responses “empty and tiresome” upsetting because, just like the Marina Inn and Suites, I do everything I can to make guests happy before and after they stay.

Again, I thank you for taking the time to voice your opinion.

Regards,
Public Relations Manager

Been to Marina Inn and Suites? Share your experiences!