“First night of Honeymoon ..” 4 of 5 stars

The Westgate Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1055 Second Ave, San Diego, CA 92101 (Downtown)   |
Ranked #34 of 270 Hotels in San Diego
Southampton, United Kingdom
“First night of Honeymoon ..”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014

A charming hotel centrally located with good facilities and a reasonable to good level of service. Reception staff particularly helpful, Room was clean, tidy and spacious with all room facilities you would expect. A grand hotel if a little dated, but would recommend.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

My family and I reserved 2 rooms and at check in I was snubbed by the front desk employee when I inquired about rooms on the higher levels. I was told the hotel was completely booked before I could even finish my request. He was extremely arrogant and unfriendly. When we checked into our rooms, we noticed immediately the shower and the toilet was flooded with urine and feces. Thankfully and surprisingly we were able to move to another room. This was also after the front desk employee told me the hotel was completely booked.

There's no self park and valet is $32/night. After check out, we dropped off the luggage in my car. The valet attendant walked us to my parked car and I noticed the lights on the dashboard were on and the car was in park. My brand new Prius was left running overnight! When I confronted the valet manager he just gave me a blank stare and asked me what I wanted him to do.

Worst service and experience from beginning to end! This is NOT a four star hotel.

Good luck requesting a room with a better view and be careful when you leave your car with the valet!!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
TheWestgateHotel, General Manager at The Westgate Hotel, responded to this review, July 10, 2014
Dear Cindy B,
Thank you for posting your recent experience here at The Westgate Hotel. Clearly your experience appears very far from the hospitality and service we strive to deliver to every guest every day. I personally apologize to you for this.

Our hotel did experience an issue with plumbing systems during your recent stay; we only became aware of this around the time of your arrival. A problem affected certain rooms within the tower. We did relocate you to a higher floor away from this issue as well as other guests who were unfortunately affected. As with plumbing in our houses or apartments these issues can occur. Having resolved this situation, we continue to maintain an aggressive preventive maintenance program helping to avoid these occurrences whenever possible.

The Westgate Hotel continues to enrich our guests experience with many wonderful new amenities and guest comfort enhancements such as our new lap pool and exercise deck to every room receiving a new bedding package including plush mattress and down filled pillows. I hope you would give the hotel another opportunity to be of service when staying in San Diego; to experience the hotel as so many of our guests have. Creating wonderful memories and relaxing getaways.

Bournemouth
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014 via mobile

Quaint old fashioned hotel, but all the upgrades you need for a lovely relaxing stay. Massive rooms, flat screen tv. Wi- Fi Tea and coffee. Beautiful bathroom, shower etc etc. fine soaps and shampoos.
A little touch ice in the bucket already in your room. Good bar for early aperitifs, nice restaurant some might find a little expensive.
Breakfast a la carte no buffet
Nice windows and views

The only downside and nothing to do with the hotel is the need for the a Emergency services to use their sirens at 3oc in the morning when there is no traffic about.

Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
TheWestgateHotel, General Manager at The Westgate Hotel, responded to this review, July 11, 2014
Dear COYMB,

Thank you very much for writing a review of our hotel. I am very glad you enjoyed your recent stay! The Plaza Bar has been voted one of San Diego’s finest piano lounges. Currently we feature great local talent in the lounge every Friday, Saturday and Monday. In addition, Thursday’s through the summer the Westgate is featuring a poolside Jazz series; another great way to enjoy those aperitifs. We look forward to your next visit.

Cardiff, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

You're greeted by a wonderfully elegant and spacious reception area, the rooms equally so. All the staff were incredibly affable and helpful and the hotel itself is immaculate.

Turn left out of the hotel and you're in the Gaslamp district, a lively and fun area for party-goers and shopper alike, turn right and you'll find a tram stop to take you around the city.

I'm sure only the the most pedantic of guests could find fault with this place, and I'd recommend anyone to try.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Blue133,

Thank you very much for writing a review of our hotel. I am very glad you enjoyed your recent stay! The hotel was designed to rival the Grand Palace hotels of Europe. Inspired by the palace Versailles the lobby contains original works of art and many antiques. The hotels central location provides easy access to all San Diego has to offer including the vibrant Gaslamp Quarter. We look forward to your next visit.

Ashford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2014

The rooms are comfortable, spacious and spotlessly clean.
I found all the staff to be courteous, helpful and approachable.

The best thing that stands out about this hotel is the food! I ordered three lots of room service and it was all exceptionally brilliant.
It was hot in temperature, great quality, appealing to the eye, just enjoyable. Food for all of us when away from home and travelling is a big thing, we all have varying tastes and standards. This hotel is pleasant and again I emphasise all the staff are great.

It's in a great location with a shopping Mall directly across the road and within walking distance of the gas lamp area.

Stayed July 2014
Chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014

We had a wonderful, wonderful, stay at The Westgate Hotel.
It was so lovely that we stayed on an extra three days.
The room was wonderful, the pool felt spa-like and staff wecoming.
I highly recommend the Westgate Hotel.

Room Tip: A high floor is quieter