“Wonderful, Wonderful, Stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #26 of 273 Hotels in San Diego
Chicago
“Wonderful, Wonderful, Stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014

We had a wonderful, wonderful, stay at The Westgate Hotel.
It was so lovely that we stayed on an extra three days.
The room was wonderful, the pool felt spa-like and staff wecoming.
I highly recommend the Westgate Hotel.

Room Tip: A high floor is quieter
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (169)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

Spent 4 night on the 06/17/14 on wesgate hotel with my friend it was nice,we liked the hotel and the location was great. The staff was nice sepacily shraddha carlin.
She was really helpful. I will go back again

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Downey, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014

The valet parking attendants were very friendly and well mannered. The lobby is small but beautiful with a few chandeliers and nice staircase. The front desk personal was friendly.

All the employees are not in a uniform but rather in very nice attire. Every employee we encountered made some sort of small talk with myself and my 12 year old daughter. I felt welcomed after a good day in SD.

The rooms are not directly visible from the hallways. You have to go through a small hallway to get to each room which adds more privacy and eliminated the noise. It felt very private. My room was on the 11th floor and it had a great view of the city.

The room had a powder room, large mirror, robes, and the actual bathroom was separate from the dual sink area.

The room itself had a full size desk, outlets all around and comfy beds. The balcony opened wide so you could walk out and overlook the pool. The AC can be controlled in your room and isn't noisy or too cold/hot.

The workout room is available and nice!

Chocolates were left on the pillow and the staff came by to fill the ice bucket.

Room service was a little late with our breakfast but it was good. The gentleman who brought our food was kind and verified our order. I forgot to order coffee and he brought it right away.

The only negative was the small TV. I think it was 20 inches?? Not sure but definitely was not proportionate to the room.

I would go back and recommend it for a couple or anyone that enjoys nice stays.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2014

My husband and I stayed for 3 nights in June. From the moment we drove up to hotel, the staff was always there to help make our stay very enjoyable!! Our room was even better than expected. It surpassed all expectations!! This hotel made sure all the little extras were provided to make the stay over the top! We will be back.

• Stayed June 2014
Central, NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

Spent 4 nights last week and loved the hotel.
Great old world charm.. Crown molding, pocket doors, vintage furniture.. reminded me of the Palmer House in Chicago or an old European hotel but with all the modern conveniences.
GREAT rate and excellent staff. would stay there every time i go to SD.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2014

The service at this hotel surpasses any I've ever encountered. Breakfast is amazing. Music in the lounge or rooftop is a very nice touch. Facilities are tasteful and immaculate. If you are going to San Diego, this is definitely the place to stay.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Ras Al Khaimah, United Arab Emirates
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2014

I stayed at the Westgate for a week attending a conference. I think the hotel might be fine if one is on holiday but in terms of staying there for a business trip it’s a big “No.”

For starters I reserved a 2 double bed room and when I arrived the day before everyone was coming into town the front desk clerk acted as if it was someone else’s job to give me the correct room. I was put into a king sized room which wasn’t going to work as I had a conference roommate. When I asked him if the following day I could be moved when my roommate arrived he was totally non-committal and told me I would just have to check back in the morning around 11:00am. Then he told me ”we are totally booked this week!.” Couldn’t seem to give a care in the world about this important requirement and reservation booking. Yes, I know they were booked as I was one of the conference attendees and I had made my reservation in the first few days after our block opened at the Westgate and again I was there before everyone else – so if not me – who was getting a double room? Luckily my roommate got comped another room and even better for her it was at another hotel – the Palomar, she loved it.

Next, oh how to write this well there was a live cockroach in my bed. Yes, that’s right. I called downstairs and they did send a very nice and shocked housekeeper who changed my sheets upon request and removed the carcass. I understand this is possible and I shouldn’t over play it but still it was gross and I was on high alert in the room after that. And in all the world hotels I have stayed at – it has never ever happened before. The manager called the next day to apologize, which I appreciated. And there were no other bugs during my stay.

Then my room was on the side where there was a make shift homeless meeting spot. There were blood curdling screams the first night. I kept waking up and going to the window. This continued all week. It was hard as I developed the cold/flu and I desperately needed to sleep to make my conference activities each morning. The homeless people fighting and screaming at odd hours of the night were not helpful and the screaming was so jarring. Its one of the things I most remember about my room. And I know the hotel can do nothing about this issue. But it is something to be aware of if you need to sleep and then wake up early and produce in a meeting.

I ordered a lot of room service…tons because I was so sick and on at least three times they forget items. I had to keep checking and then calling room service to come back with what I had ordered.

On my last night I went back to the room at about 3:45 pm totally exhausted from being sick and working at a conference and my room was not made up. I had to call housekeeping and wait while someone made up my room. And really at 3:45 pm…when I had been gone since early morning – well….I think that was unacceptable.

The final kicker however was when I went to check out. I asked for a stamp to mail my mom a card for her birthday. They couldn’t sell me a stamp because they didn’t keep them. What hotel doesn’t have book of stamps at reception!? So they couldn’t take my card and as I was flying out of the country, it was really disappointing. This type of grand dame old hotel always has stamps. It’s part of the customer service they are supposed to offer – but not at the Westgate.
I was very disappointed by my stay and kept kicking myself for wanting a character type hotel. I should have stayed at The W.

On the positive side, the hotel is very lovely and grand with a beautiful staircase in the lobby. The breakfast is fabulous and under $20. The rooms are spacious and they have vanity areas which I love. There was a wedding in the hotel and it was decorated so beautifully. A wedding here would probably be so memorable. One of the bellmen was the nicest young man and he really tried to help me. If I hadn't need to work and I was vacationing I think the hotel would have worked just fine.

Room Tip: Make sure you request a quiet side of the hotel.
Green Features: Not good. I kept hanging my towel so that the maid would not take it and wash it and everyday she took and washed it.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
RichardCox, Director of Operations at The Westgate Hotel, responded to this review, June 9, 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I am very sorry to hear that your stay was less than exceptional. I can assure you that your remarks will be shared with the staff and management team to improve our services where possible. I would like the opportunity to speak with you in person regarding your recent stay, please feel free to contact me at 619-557-3619.

Sarah Gunter