“The San Diego Westgate experience” 4 of 5 stars

The Westgate Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1055 Second Ave, San Diego, CA 92101 (Downtown)   |
Ranked #34 of 270 Hotels in San Diego
Prague, Czech Republic
“The San Diego Westgate experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2014

I stayed in San Diego Westgate for 6 days in May 2014 with a group of 15 people. The level of accomodation and other hotel services reflect what you expect from a 4 star hotel with one exception: consierge. Their consierge lady Shraddha is amazing incredibly polite person. She offered us a help and not only gave us - foreigners from Europe - usefull hints and advices but also managed and administered all of our wishes. She did not limit her duty only on showing the map or finding out the places and activities we asked for but she did not hesitate to make many calls in order to ensure we get what we wanted. She is a person with empathy. I met many concierges before but she is really the one you want to have by your side if you are in troubles.
Jaroslav, Czech Republic

Room Tip: ask for rooms on higher floors - nice view of SD downtown
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

Recently stayed here for a week and really enjoyed our visit. The location is perfect for exploring downtown San Diego. We were able to walk to the mall, Petco Park, Gaslight Village, Seaport Village and The Headquarters. We were also able to visit the zoo via a very short cab ride. There are also many coffee shops (Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf yay!) restaurants (try the Sushi Deli!) and even grocery stores (check out the brand new Jimbo's natural foods!) within walking distance.
As for the hotel itself we really enjoyed the rooftop pool. It was very clean and the water temp was perfect. Maybe empty that used towel hamper once in a while though?
Our room was small but with a small balcony it was very sunny and the amount of light made it feel very airy. The amenities by Gilchrist & Soames not only made our skin smell good but their scent softly perfumed the room which is always nice.
We made use of room service once for lunch and it was timely and adequate. We dined for breakfast in the hotel restaurant and the food was good. The service was slow, but very friendly.
We used the services of the concierge numerous times and found her fantastic. She was friendly and fun and super helpful. Loved her!
Our only minor issue was that it took a long time each day for our room to be serviced by housekeeping.
All in all it was a wonderful week in a great city and our hotel stay was part of what made it special.

Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Washington State
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2014

We ended up staying here due to the conference we were attending being held in this hotel. The hotel is beautiful, with many of the pieces of furniture and artwork in the lobby being imported from France. Everyone on staff was very courteous and professional. One of the issues we often run into in hotels is the A/C in the room. My husband likes it very cool, and in many hotels, the units are these eyesores shoved up under the window that don't cool efficiently, or are horribly loud. Our room in the Westgate had floor-to-ceiling windows. The central A/C was controlled by a small thermostat on the wall and was virtually silent, but dropped the temperature extremely quickly and effectively. The bathrooms are very nice - that antique French feel but with all of the modern amenities. They have a turn-down service every night which was a treat. The only complaint we had - and it's really a minor one - was that they have ice buckets in the room, but no ice machines in the building. You have to call down to the front desk to ask them for ice. It took us 2 phone calls and 20 minutes to get ice, which was a bit frustrating, and then there is the issue of tipping the staff member who brings up the silver ice bucket in his coat and tie. I'd be happy to run get my own ice for free... But in their defense, any time we called down for something, they would at some point soon thereafter call the room to ensure our request had been fulfilled. The prices for the rooms are a bit steep normally, but they were offering a deal due to the length of our stay, so it became fairly reasonable among the nice Gaslamp hotels.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2014

My first time traveling to California was a great experience. San Diego is beautiful and the Westgate Hotel was the best hotel I have personally visited. Everybody is super professional. There are so many personal touches to the hotel. I will not publicize all of the special things that they do for you during your stay, you will have to see for yourself. I became good friends with the Chief Concierge Shraddha Carlin, she took good care of me while I was on my trip. She had so many things to recommend me for my trip and everything she recommended was a great experience. I cannot over emphasize how much my stay at The Westgate Hotel and the helpfulness of Shraddha made my trip so memorable. The pool and food are amazing. The hotel is so beautiful that I could never describe it properly. actually extended my stay and changed flights because I was so pleased with the hotel and service. I felt like I was at home and had a new family there. I recommend everybody go check it out. I will be back soon and I cannot wait.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Carmichael, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2014

I spent a week at this hotel. From the moment the bellboy opened my cab door, I knew this stay was going to be luxurious. The foyer was jaw-dropping beautiful--huge fresh floral arrangements & European antique decor adorned the marble covered area. The reception staff were extremely welcoming & accommodating. The room was extremely spacious & beautiful decor/design. Nightly bed turndown service with Belgium chocolates added such a nice touch. I will be bringing back my family & friends for future SD visits!

Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Sao Paulo, SP
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2014

Located in Downton Civic Center, near the Gaslamp Quarter, San Diego Westgate is a first class hotel.
The reception has a Louis XIV-style decor (or XV?). Rooms with wonderful bathrooms this hotel has heated pool and jacuzzi and fitness center on the third floor.

Close to several shops, troleys and bus stops and hundreds of restaurant and cafes.

Parking is expensive, U $ 8.00 per hour (do not know the daily price) as well as several parking lots nearby.

Special mention to indian style concierge (sorry I forgot her name) who welcomed us beautifully and gave us many tips about San Diego.

All receptionists were very attentive and received us very well.st in Downton Civic Center , near the Gaslamp Quartier Westgate San Diego is a first class hotel.

Green Features: This hotel is concerned about the water and energy issues in California
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Assonet, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2014

Walking into the hotel first of all was breath taking. I stood for a few seconds just taking in the beauty. Upon approaching the front desk we were welcomed by Rocky who was very friendly and gave us a brief history of the hotel. He then introduced us to 'Shraddha Carlin - the Chief Concierge"!!! She went above and beyond to make sure we were able to get to see all that we could in the three days left of our vacation. She made us feel so welcomed and comfortable throughout our stay. She recommended restaurants - wrote out our personal itinerary and placed them in seperate envelopes, dated with maps in each so we didn't have to put any effort into what we were doing - she did it ALL for us!!! Of course, we didn't want to leave but have peace of mind knowing that we will soon return to a newly made family!! The first room we checked into was beautiful - but Shraddha thought we should have another one with a better view. We were moved to a room with the view of the pool - which by the way was refreshing. Infused water and green apples were always available poolside.

Room Tip: I feel no matter where your room is - really doesn't make much of difference. Your taken up by...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to The Westgate Hotel? Share your experiences!