“updated hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #33 of 271 Hotels in San Diego
Memphis, Tennessee
“updated hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2014

This hotel is an older hotel that is undergoing renovations over a period of time. It is located downtown so you are in walking distance to 5th avenue restaurants. The down side is that as an older hotel, the walls are thin so you can hear your neighbors. The hotel staff probably needs more training. Everyone was friendly but staff does not communicate with each other. So messages left with the front desk, parking lot, concierge, and house keeping are not shared. If you need something you need to speak to that dept directly.You may or may not get what you want.
We arrived at 11 AM. Rooms were not ready but that was to be expected. We left our bags and returned at 4:00 PM. Rooms were still not ready and no one could tell me why (house keeping would not answer the call from the front desk). I was moved to a different room after waiting a while.
The upside is that rooms were clean and updated nicely including the bathroom. They have new workout machines and a great pool. Got a good rate from Hotels.com. I would tray another place next time if the rates were over 125 a night.

Room Tip: Higher up rooms have a better view
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2014

I'm a french resident in USA and traveling a lot around the country. It was my second time in San Diego and my first time at the Westgate. I booked a deluxe king bedroom. As soon as you arrive you are welcomed by the doorman with a gracious smile and warm "hello". Same at the check in, fast and efficient - even if the receptionist did not answer to my request for having a high floor. I got the 7th, my fav number so i did not insist - The bedroom was spacious and clean with a city view. The bed is very comfortable and the linen are excellent quality. The bathroom was perfectly arranged, with a lot of towels. The bedroom was quite, I never heard my neighbors. The room service is fast and the food is very good. The american breakfast is simple $20 but if you had fruits, pastries.. it goes easily at $50. I had room service dinner as well - the ravioli are delicious. The service is perfect. Same for the pool. You can have out door exercise, I had a lunch there, and as always, it was perfect. The fitness is kind of claustrophobic, located on the low level of the hotel. Rather to your gym at the pool. The lobby is very pleasant and quite, you can have a tea or just enjoy staying here in a large sofa. The Westgate is - according to the concierge - a family owned business and you can definitely feel it. You are a real costumer, not only a room number. The whole staff is absolutely charming, very discreet but always ready to tell you a nice story about the hotel. The building itself is a 1970 tower, but inside it's totally french 17th/18th century. I guess that some of the furniture are original - the desk of the concierge, the mirror with the clock - but I cannot be sure about it. Anyway I HIGHLY recommend the Westgate. and I will return very soon. I would love to live there all year!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
RichardCox, Director of Operations at The Westgate Hotel, responded to this review, February 7, 2014
Dear Luzzien,
Thank you for your kind review! I am so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to welcoming you back to The Westgate Hotel and San Diego.

Please contact me directly before you next trip. We will ensure you are well taken care of and you receive your high floor request for your next stay.

Sarah Gunter
Director of Operations
619-557-3619
Burgas, Bulgaria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2014

Do you know how it feels like to travel across the ocean,go to a foreign land for the first time ever and still feel like you're at home?Add to that,that you're European and everything new you see is different?That's exactly how i felt in the USA.It's been a month since i came back and when i think back i can only consider myself lucky that the first city i visited was San Diego. I was also lucky enough to meet Shradda Carlin - Chief concierge of Westgate Hotel, San Diego. I could never forget this wonderful women,who made the two days I spent in San Diego both unforgettable and incomparable with Vegas,LA,Santa Barbara,San Fransisco etc.She made these two days unique.She was restless and dedicated.Ready to make the guests at the Westgate Hotel feel absolute comfort,and even listen to their problems.I work as a lawyer in Bulgaria.As I stand by my principle I waited a month after I came back from the USA so I could be objective.And i'm now 100% certain that one of the reasons this trip was so amazing is Shradda Carlin - Chief concierge of Westgate Hotel, San Diego.

Austin, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2014

Nice hotel with great location. The rooms are spacious and quite nice. The fitness center was also good, and the Internet is reasonably fast. The only down side is the mandatory resort fee, which I was not aware of before booking. When I was surprised about it, the staff was a bit rude and just said this is "standard in the USA"...

Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Sydney,Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2014

We stayed over NYE and we just loved everything about this hotel! It is across the road from the Westfield shopping centre, the main street with all of the nightlife is 2 blocks away and everything else is within easy walking distance.

The rooms had fast internet and were really clean and comfortable. The running track around the pool on the roof terrace was great and well maintained.

All of the staff at this hotel was so friendly and genuinely seemed to enjoy working here. The hotel had a lovely old charm feel to it and we would highly recommend this to anyone!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2014

I recently had the pleasure of staying at this gorgeous hotel over a weekend night and every aspect of my stay exceeded my expectations(which tend to be very high) From the moment of check in to the minute I checked out I was constantly impressed with the service and the surroundings. One of the brightest aspects of my stay was the incredible Concierge, Ms. Shraddha Carlin. Ms. Carlin was thoughtful, attentive, informative and gracious and these are the hallmarks of great service and of a great Concierge. The Concierge was a shinning star in the hotel and a wonderful ambassador for the Westgate and the city of San Diego, she helped make my stay so memorable.
The room that I stayed in was a stunning one bedroom suite that had panoramic views of the San Diego skyline. The décor was classic with French inspiration and the room offered every amenity that a traveler could wish for. The bathroom was nothing less then true luxury. Deep soaking tub, marble floors, large marble walk in shower, plush towels, great lighting, wonderful amenities and on and on and on. No detail large or small was overlooked in the room.
I had room service that was simply delicious. I also had the chance to visit the new pool and Jacuzzi at the hotel. What a great experience to sit in the Jacuzzi and watch the sunset over downtown San Diego.
I cannot wait to visit this amazing hotel again and experience its beauty and the great service of the Concierge and staff.

Room Tip: Request a high floor with a city view Make sure you ask to speak with The Concierge, Ms. Carlin to...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2014

We stayed at the Westgate Hotel over New Years and we were THRILLED at our decision. The staff were friendly and helpful, the location is within walking distance from the gaslamp district and other attractions. The room was clean, tidy and spacious with fast internet. They had a fantastic running track on top of the roof surrounding the pool and gym area. The hotel had its own unique character that made it perfect for our stay. Highly recommend.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to The Westgate Hotel? Share your experiences!