“A wonderful change!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #59 of 270 hotels in San Diego
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
“A wonderful change!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2014

We stayed at the Westgate Hotel over New Years and we were THRILLED at our decision. The staff were friendly and helpful, the location is within walking distance from the gaslamp district and other attractions. The room was clean, tidy and spacious with fast internet. They had a fantastic running track on top of the roof surrounding the pool and gym area. The hotel had its own unique character that made it perfect for our stay. Highly recommend.

524 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2014

When we were staying at this gorgeous hotel we had a problem in one of the shopping malls and since no one could help us our amazing concierge shraddha carlin came and helped us with the problem we had i just want to say how amazing and kind she was during our stay at the hotel thank you so much for helping us shreddha carlin

• Stayed December 2013
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2014

San Diego has so many good hotels in or near the Gaslight District it is hard to find a bad one. I travel to San Diego 7 or 8 times a year and have for 3 years now so I have probably stayed at all or most all the 4+ star ones. I am never disappointed in a stay at the Westgate.

It is unique. almost all of the others feature the upscale glass and chrome look typical of hotels today. This is a throwback style and the elegance is everywhere. While not my favorite hotel in San Diego if I were planning a nice memorable romantic weekend with a significant other, it would be at the very top of the list.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
San Diego
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2014

Went to a party in downtown San Diego and decided to grab a hotel room for one night on Hotwire so that I wouldn't have to drive.

Ended up getting the Westgate Hotel, which is older but well-maintained and still somewhat elegant, in an old school sort of way.

Service was outstanding and the staff was very professional and polite. The front desk agent upgraded us to room 1496 on the 14th floor which had a great city and partial bay view and was surprisingly large. This room was clean, comfortable and quiet.

Only slight negatives were parking, which is expensive (I didn't have to pay it though, as I have downtown parking already), and a $15 "facilities fee". At least, that fee did include internet access via wi-fi, which normally costs extra. It also includes bottled water in your room.

The location is outstanding. Just across the street from the Horton Plaza shopping center and a short walk to the Gaslamp District (and 2 blocks from my office, for what it's worth). Cruise ship terminal is maybe 10 blocks away, so it's also close, but a cab might be better for those with bags.

I enjoyed my brief stay at the Westgate. The price was very fair for a hotel of this quality. Comfort and service were top notch. It comes highly recommended!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view on a higher floor.
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2014

A beautiful hotel in a great location. The rooms are huge, and very well priced. The staff were very attentive and friendly all the time, and the hotel had nice touches like 4 free bottles of water every day, and a turn down service at night. The hotel is beautiful and really well maintained, and there are literally taxis waiting right outside to take you wherever you wish to go. A great experience, a wonderful hotel, it was so worth it.

New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2014

We recently had business in downtown San Diego and chose the Westgate. We enjoyed our stay. The staff is very accommodating and helpful. The rooms are clean and comfortable. The heated pool is terrific. We misplaced a T-shirt and alerted housekeeping - when we got home, we had a Fedex package from the hotel with the T-shirt in it. Only requests would be that they lower the parking fee of $32 per night and only replace sheets and towels when requested by guests as a more environmentally friendly policy. Of course it would be nice to have breakfast included, which it wasn't. Our overall experience was excellent.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Belfast
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014

I really, really, loved this hotel. For a start it's decorated in a classic style, frankly it's like something out of the Sound of Music but it's individual and distinct rather than impersonal and modern. I found the staff excellent, courteous and helpful and I really enjoyed a swim on the rooftop pool. I'd to check out after 1 day as I was attending a business conference in another hotel but I wish I hadn't. The only reason I haven't given it 5 stars is because of the additional service charge of $15 for internet access which I felt was a little underhand and not in keeping with my experience and style of the place. I think it helped that I obtained a room at a discount via an internet booker but if you are going to San Diego, stay her, it will help make your trip. Thoroughly recommended.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

Been to The Westgate Hotel? Share your experiences!