“The Westgate Hotel San Diego California” 5 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1055 Second Ave, San Diego, CA 92101 (Downtown)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #33 of 271 Hotels in San Diego
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
“The Westgate Hotel San Diego California”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

Our stay at the Westgate Hotel a few weeks ago was terrific to say the least. On our arrival we were greeted by the hotel front desk staff and in particular Shradda Carlin, the Chief Concierge at the hotel. Shraddha made our stay just that more enjoyable with her outgoing personality and the time she took to help us with our tour bookings, even to the point where she would show us where the bus pick-ups were and where the closest shopping complex was for eateries etc.
She is a marvellous asset to the Westgate Hotel and if and when we return to San Diego, will definitely try to catch up again. Overall a great Hotel to stay at in the Gaslamp Quarter of San Diego.

Room Tip: Our room on the fifth floor had a view towards the convention centre and we had no problems with noi...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
Rhode Island
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

This is one of the finest hotels I have stayed in.

All of the staff go out of their way to be helpful.
The place is extremely clean.

We had breakfast at the hotel. It was excellent!!!! Not super complicated food but not basic either.

I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed September 2012
United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

First off, I never gave anyone a 5 stars before. I am extremely picky and critical. I am in San Diego for 4 months and my company pays for all my hotels (whichever one I choose). So I have been staying at all 4-5 stars hotels and this one is my favorite.

SOPHISTICATED, VINTAGE, ELEGANT & CLASSIC - this hotels makes me feel like I stepped in the past. I asked for the highest floor and the request was granted :).

Its like being in one of those Vanderbilt, Biltmore, or Newport Mansions of the 1900s. I was flabbergasted by my room's view. Being in the 18th floor with a open balcony and the elegant victory drapes and curtain on each side, made me felt like I stepped into the past, yet looking into the future (amazing city view). It was amazing.

The furnitures were beautiful - like being in a museum.

However, I can see why some people dont care for this too much, if they are not into these vintage style. This hotel is very sophisticated, its not a "modern" fast pace typed hotel. Its especially made for people who enjoyed the finer things in life.

I called and booked my reservation with the hotel directly.
-Valet is $32, although high for people from other city, you need to know that this is very reasonable for this area (most of the 4-stars hotels in the downtown/Gaslamp area will charge you $38-$40).
-Resort fee $15, includes internet and water, please don't complain (most hotels around here charges $15 for internet itself and dont even give you water). So just think of it as water and internet + some other stuffs.

I think the reason why most people complained so much about the $32 parking & $15 resort fee is because they got a really low rate on Priceline for a high cost area, so when they got the $32 valet parking and $15 resort fee, they're angered. If they had paid around $200 - $300 outside of Priceline.com, they should know that these fee are actually pretty standard for downtown. If they want to avoid these cost, they could stay like 10-20 miles away. The further away from downtown you are, they cheaper parking it is. Like at Kearny Mesa etc. At Mission Valley (hotel circle) - about 6 miles away from downtown, its about $15/day for parking.

Its right across the street from the Horton mall, an outdoor mall with many nice shops at reasonable price. I heard the horton mall parking is horrible, so I felt very lucky to be parking at my hotel and can easily access the mall. Its literally across the street. (This is from an engineer lady who gone to the mall in a year).

The bathroom has a big square tube, marbled, looks pretty and fancy.
The details in the room are so elegant.
On Saturday night, they have a musician playing live music in the lounge. Very peaceful, classic, and wonderful. I am currently sitting outside the lounge in their beautiful lobby and enjoying the music as I am writing this review.

I already made more reservations for this hotel. I am an Marriott Platinum member, but I rather skip my points and perks, just to be in this hotel. I love this hotel. Feel like a princess.

Room Tip: High floor.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

I'm a local San Diego resident who recently stayed here for three nights while I was between homes. The Westgate is a 4 star property in downtown San Diego (in a fairly good area) that appears to be from another time. Situated in a relatively modern high rise that appears to have been built in the70's the hotel has an EXTREMELY traditional feel inside - think Palace of Versailles. It's like a time warp. The decor is over the top but not completely in a bad or good way. Large crystal chandeliers and antique rugs and furniture abound (all in a dusty haze that makes everything feel old) I think of San Diego as a young, modern city this place definitely stands out style wise (for better or worse) among the other hotels in the area. Overall I liked staying here but I'm still not totally sure why.

Here are my impressions:

PROS:

- Service - The staff was really great here and this is a place where the "software" (i.e. employees, etc.) is better than the "hardware". You get the feel they work hard to keep up with the place. Valets were EXCELLENT and so was front desk staff. I had to be moved due to a plumbing problem and they handled it extremely well. They had a bellman, and housekeeper who did an instant turn down in the new room within 5 minutes of the call. Room service was also EXCELLENT.

CONS:

- "Worn" feeling - Even though I found the hotel is very consistent in it's design (which is over the top traditional) it felt worn and threadbare. Especially in the parking garage area where there is a barber shop and gym. You could see the old storefronts that were boarded up and inside are cubicles, etc. The main lobby also felt dusty (even though I'm sure it was in fact very clean.) The furnishings just look worn, and colors desaturated.

- Bedspread -The "worn" feeling extends to a good degree to the guest rooms. It's 2012 and this hotel STILL uses an old heavy (and honestly gross) floral bedspread. I pulled it off the bed immediately and it weighed a ton. Worse, is the thing smelled like mothballs and made the pillows / bedding smell the same way. I sent my pillows back to housekeeping after taking a whiff. Seriously the hotel needs to ditch the bedspreads immediately.

- Rooms - the rooms are large and spacious but a little of worn. Some of the wallpaper is starting to peel a bit and the countertops/faucets have seen their better days. Still not too bad and everything was clean - it just appears it's getting to be time for a renovation.

- Room "Lobbies" - I have never seen this before in a hotel. Every two rooms (except suites) shared a separate lobby secured by a separate door. Kind of a mini lobby between the elevator lobby. Really unique and kind of odd. I think the idea was to protect the rooms from the noise of the main hallways. The problem is that you can totally hear the other guest open their door and then the mini lobby door - I think it's worse than no mini lobby at all. Nothing the hotel could do at this point but really odd and one of those things that gives this place character.

- Hidden fees - the hotel charges the obligatory daily "amenity fee" (I think it's $15) and an expensive parking (I believe $32/day) rate. Keep in mind you are looking at an additional $48 over whatever rate you book. The hotel kindly waived my amenity fee after a plumbing incident.

- In Room Refrigerator. For some reason there is a mini-bar "cooler" that is not a "refrigerator". This is unacceptable. It will cool a can of soda but not keep milk or dairy items at a safe temperature. They put a note on the unit to warn me.

- Power outlets - It's 2012. There should be an outlet near the desk area to plug in a laptop. There were none and the closest was on another wall behind a desk. In most hotels, there is an outlet built into the desk lamp. This was the case in both rooms I was in.

Despite the quirks, I would still recommend this hotel. It's really is unique. I get the feeling that the staff does the best it can to keep up with this place despite it's age. That said, to whoever owns this place, it's 2012, please get rid of the old, dusty floral bedspreads!

Room Tip: Some rooms have odd shaped bathroom area but all basic rooms seem to be large. Also some decent vie...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Huntington Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

Exceptional service, beautiful hotel, what's not to like?

Our plans were to attend a Padres baseball game one day, and visit the San Diego Zoo the next day. The perfect hotel would have been in the lower Gaslamp District within a block or two of Petco Park since we had a car and could easily drive to the zoo. Feeling pretty confident that I could get a 4-star hotel on the cheap by using Priceline, I threw out my $99.00/night bid.

When we ended up at The Westgate, I have to admit I was disappointed. First of all, it was in "uptown" Gaslamp meaning a 12 block walk to the ballpark. Secondly, even the Gaslamp District was three blocks away. Then I started to do some research and realized how good this hotel could be.

My impressions got even better when we arrived at 1:00 pm, well ahead of check-in. The valet greeted us at the door and promptly took our car. The reception quickly informed us a room was available, and started the reservation request without hesitation. We asked about a high room in this 19 story hotel knowing that as Priceline customers, it would probably be denied. Shock, it was not. But we were told they did not currently have any room available that fit that description but assured there would be a room on the 16th floor if we wanted to return in two hours. We accepted that offer.

The top of 5th St. and 6th St. is three blocks away (the hotel is between 2nd & 3rd). We passed a Yardhouse Restaurant and went to The Beer Company to have a cocktail, watch some sports and while away our two hours. When we returned sure enough, we were given our keys to the 16th floor room and up we went. (Note the bell man was even very pleasant about offering the option of taking our bags up for us or we could do it ourselves. I hate pushy bell men).

The room was big by most hotel standards. There was a small balcony off the room which you could access. The linens were first rate. My only complaint was there was a not a convenient bedside reading lamp. The lamps on either side of the bed were, at least initially, activated by the switch as you walk in the room. Other than that, beautiful ornate desk overlooking the city. A cushy easy chair in the corner. A flat screen TV in a large credenza. Lots of rooms to put a couple of suitcases.

The bathroom was pleasantly large. There was a marble tiled shower (no tub) and a single sink on a large counter. Behind the bathroom was a walk-in closet with bathrobes for the guests. The water pressure was, in my opinion, one of the best I have had in a hotel in a while not toned down by a water regulating shower head. Pure bliss.

Where there might be issues for some is the lack of dining options in the hotel. There is an all-day dining area but it is upscale and intimidating in that it doesn't list prices.
The bar is also obscure existing in the far corner off the lobby, and we only found it when we specifically asked where it was so we could have a night cap. There were four bar stools, a couple of low tables. That was it. While we had a wonderful conversation with the young bartenderess there, not exactly the place for an afternoon cocktail (it doesn't open until 4:30 pm, and it closes at midnight) or meeting your friends.

Of course there are plenty of eating options right outside the hotel. A couple blocks away is the entire Gaslamp District with its variety of food. Across the street is Horton Plaza, an urban shopping mall with chair restaurant sites and two (2) Starbucks just to make sure you can get your caffeine fix.

Existing as it does in a quadrant of hotels (Westin and U.S. Grant are nearly next door) finding transportation is such as taxis and a the trolley is easy. In fact the trolley runs on the east side of the hotel taking you just about everywhere you would want to go. The downside to the trolley side, however, if that it faces Town Hall where a large group of homeless people bed down for the night in view of the hotel. It is unfortunate that there isn't a better spot for them.

Finally, let me again reaffirm the exceptional service. From the valet to the bell hop to the bartenderess to the concierge to the security person who acknowledged us both nights and asked us how our day went, the staff at the Westgate Hotel was exceptional. My wife and I have stayed at a number of hotels in San Diego over the years but she was very specific about saying she would come back here in the future because of the service, size of the rooms and overall feel. Might I add that the price was right and there was no stigma attached to how we booked the room. Bravo Westgate!

Room Tip: The hotel is square so depending on which side you are on determines the quality of the view. We loo...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

I recently had the opportunity to stay at the Westgate hotel. Directly across from Horton Plaza and next door to the Grant hotel. The rooms are huge and come with a refrigerator. Private, clean and very nice. Did not try the restaurant because so many inexpensive places to eat in the Horton Plaza area. But drinks are expensive if you don't do the happy hour which has half price appetizers and drinks but when you order a drink- they really give you a Drink! and appertizers were wonderful. Warm cookies in the evening too.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

Just got back from a tour of Cali which started off in San Diego. We had no preference as to where we stayed, so we used Priceline and ended up at the Westgate in Downtown. I read reviews prior to arrival and knew about the parking fees and the extra $15 daily charge....these charges were also reviewed with me during check-in.

Location is great, walkable to Starbucks which came in handy in the morning. The lobby was a bit outdated but with some charm....it's probably the look they are going for. We really liked the double doors that separated our room from the hallway....we absolutely never heard any noise from the halls. Loved the bottles of water in the room. Room was large and home-ish....also really liked the extensive cabinets, drawers, and counter space in bathroom. Like someone previously stated, definitely wish there was a small trash can in this vanity area....I kept dragging the one from next to the toilet into this room, but the housekeeper kept putting it back next to the toilet.

Valet is expensive, but comparable to the rest of the hotels in the city I believe. I wish there was a self park option, because tipping valet everytime we got our car started to add up....also noticed the valet looking at their tips as soon as we gave it to them....kinda awkward.

We didn't use the gym, room service, restaurant, bar, or any other services from this hotel because we were out touring the city. Overall, we enjoyed our stay and would consider coming again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a higher floor....we were on the fourth floor and had a lot of street noise that w...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Westgate Hotel? Share your experiences!