“Downtown San Diego Hotel” 4 of 5 stars

The Westgate Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1055 Second Ave, San Diego, CA 92101 (Downtown)   |
Ranked #34 of 270 Hotels in San Diego
Phoenix, Arizona
“Downtown San Diego Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

I am giving the Westgate Hotel an Overall rating of 4 stars although there are some things I found rather irritating. Think of the 4 stars as a weighted average on those things I consider very important. They are: Cleanliness, Comfortable Bed and a Friendly, Polite and Helpful Staff. These three categories were a solid 5 stars.

First you should know this is a downtown hotel in a busy city. If the sounds of the city bother you, especially sirens at night then don't stay at any downtown hotels.

There are two charges in addition to your room that you need to know about. There is a $15 dollar a day facility fee they say is for the water and coffee in the room. Parking was $32 dollars per day. If we had known about the $15 a day hotel fee we would have gotten a room down on the water at Hyatt, Marriott or Hilton for not much more that what we were paying.

The Westgate is an upscale hotel that you can feel comfortable in while wearing shorts and floppies.
Although they do serve high tea on Friday, Saturday and Sunday afternoons it still doesn't come across as stuffy.
The rooms are immaculate. The turn down service (they turn on light jazz music too) is a very nice touch.
The staff is friendly and helpful and if it means anything to you, they are without exception while we were there very clean cut from the valet staff to the starched uniformed house keeping staff.

The bathrooms are large, well appointed and spotless. However, had a pocket door for the toilet and shower area and no fan.

We found it somewhat puzzling that our room had a very nice large desk. However there were no electrical outlets to plug our laptop or mobile devices into. Many hotels have lamps that have outlets and no dice on this lamp.

Location wise, the hotel is right across the street from Horton Plaza and there is no shortage of good restaurants within a 5-10 minute walk.

The Historic Gaslamp District is 5 minute walk, the harbor, Little Italy and Balboa Park and Zoo all a 5 to 10 minute drive.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
Riverside, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

Booked our room on Hotwire, so the hotel name was a surprise. Read the information provided by Hotwire carefully, so knew ahead of time that there is a resort fee and parking charge. (For the record, there should be no negative reviews on properties based on resort fees and parking if the properties are located in the downtown region of major cities, this is standard now, and at least this property provides the service to match the charges.)

Check-in was fun because we got to watch all the people who don't read their info argue about parking and resort fees. I must say the employees were unfailingly gracious about it.

The hotel lobby and furnishings were beautiful. I felt like I was in a European hotel.
Then we went to our room. Oh my goodness, so cool. Every two rooms have a separate vestibule so that your room does not open into the hallway. (We heard no noise from the hallway the entire time.) Separate dressing area, with actual drawers to put your bathroom things away (I hate having them sit out.), beautiful soaking tub with shower, 4 chairs in the bedroom, 2 of which were plush armchairs, so we didn't have to argue about who got a "desk chair", walk out balcony with views of the bay and the skyline. Was shocked to read that the hotel was not an old hotel, but was created to provide the "old hotel" experience. Absolutely spot on.

As to noise, it appears that there is some street construction, possibly a trolley stop being created, and if you are on a lower floor, I imagine there would be some noise from that. We were on the 15th floor and I heard maybe 2 sirens the whole weekend, and no construction noise, although they were working. If you have severe issues with noise, you should always inform a hotel ahead of time, so they can accommodate you as best as possible. Then you should also travel with earplugs, because some things are beyond a hotel's control.

We also enjoyed a cheese plate and drinks in the beautiful little bar while listening to some music. breakfast in the dining room (very nice) and room service (fast and yummy). Also the valet parking was super fast in getting our car when needed.

You are within walking distance of the everything in the Gaslamp and more.
We had a wonderful time and our room was perfect!

Room Tip: Higher floors will have less street noise, ask for a room on the bay side for best views.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Huntington Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

I bid on a 4 star hotel in Gaslamp Quater of San Diego. Expected to get a place we usually stay, Hyatt Regency...or something familar. When Westgate accepted our bid, I thought "Oh no, I don't know anything about this hotel." But too late, bid done. So I read reviews. They were horrible! Everything from poor water pressure to broken locks. I was so scared I apologized to my husband in advance for booking us in a crappy hotel. But, read on....

The minute we walked into the lobby all my fears disappeared. I knew I was somewhere special. I've stayed in 4 and 5 star hotels all over the world and this one reminded me of a European art gallery or museum, and not in a musty, dark way. Everywhere I looked there were vases, sculptures, paintings, antique furniture, not to mention the dramatic stairway. The rooms were huge and beautiful. I felt spoiled. They turned down my bed and had robes and a chocolate mint on my pillow! Every member of the staff was beyond friendly, especially Gabriel in the main floor restaurant. And by the way, if the water pressure had been any stronger it would have hurt...almost did as it was. Then there's the food and entertainment...

If you have the opportunity, the Sunday Brunch is a must. The very best I've seen in terms of offerings and atmosphere (every kind of seafood imaginable). Even the little restaurant where we ate breakfast was fantastic and affordable. There's a cute little bar on the main floor where live music is played. Didn't care for the trio playing, but still a beautiful setting.

The hotel is walking distance to tons of great restaurants and live music. My husband grew up in San Diego so we go to Gaslamp Quarter often. If you haven't been there or to other large cities then you may be put off by the homeless, the prices, the crowds. However, if that's the case this probably isn't the place for you. But if you love staying in a beautiful hotel that is a destination in it's self, having a choice of just about any ethnic food from Italian to Indian, and walking to all sorts of attractions from marina's to baseball park, to a navy ship...this is the place for you. Ignore any negative reviews you read, I can only think that they are from competitors. Relax and get ready to be pampered in a goregous setting!

Really the only negatives I can think of are 1. that darn resort fee. We didn't use any of the amenities we were charged for, but had no option to decline. Unfortunately most large hotels are doing this, so unless we, as consumers unite against it, I don't know what we can do about it. And, 2. the bed was a bit hard for my taste, but most hotel beds are...except Hyatt and Hilton.

Anyway, if you bid on priceline and aren't familar with the hotel, relax, you'll love it!

Room Tip: I imagine all rooms are equally beautiful. Being in the middle of a city environment, if you open t...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

The Westgate is a lovely hotel with public spaces filled with beautiful antiques. The sleeping rooms are spacious with comfortable beds and up to date bathrooms. If you're headed to Balboa park, it's a 5 minute drive and a short stroll to the Gaslamp district. The front desk folks were helpful and welcoming. I thought the room rate was a good value but be warned that parking is $32/day and the hotel adds a "use fee" of $15/day whether you use the hotel facilities or not. Even so, the Westgate hotel is now my hotel of choice in San Diego.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Los Angeles
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2012

We booked this hotel and it showed high reviews. The decore was nice, European, decent rooms. But the service was horrible. We called a few times to see if we could reserve a fridge for babyfood. Told we could not its first come first serve basis. We also asked how we could heat babyfood, they said please just bring to the kitchen no problem. We get there, ask for a fridge and they say yes we have one but its $20 extra. We called 3 times about reserving one, and no one mentioned that it was $20 extra. so the girl at front said okay we won't charge you. Then we called kitchen to heat babyfood - they could not. Everyone there had different answers for everything. Also there is a $15 fee just because, and $35 per night parking. When we went to check out - they tried to charge us again for fridge, we explained and the front desk woman basically did not believe us. It took her much time and effort to decide not to charge us the $20 which was already taken off bill. Not friendly at all either. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone based on service. you can stay elsewhere for same price and get far far better service and not be nickle and dimed for every request. Also not sound proof at all. we were on 15th floor and a skate boarder was out for 3 horus from 3am til 5am and it was very loud even on 15th floor!!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
, Employee at The Westgate Hotel, responded to this review, July 13, 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for sharing your recent experience with us. I was disappointed to learn that your experience was less than exceptional. Rest assured I will share your remarks with the staff and management in an effort to improve our services where possible. I would like the opportunity to speak with you in person regarding your recent stay please feel free to contact me directly at 619-557-3610.

Richard Cox
Ocala, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012 via mobile

We travel a lot with our kids all over the country and have stayed in many, many hotels. I have never been in a hotel with the ambiance this hotel has. It reminds me of the mansions in Newport, RI. It wasn't stuffy though, it all felt very warm and inviting. We came in a mess from hiking and skateboarding all day and we weren't made to feel like we were way out of our league. My kids were blown away, they could not stop gushing about how beautiful the hotel is and they are jaded from years of travel. Nothing really impresses them anymore.
The people who checked us in and out had a very calming demeanor.
The only negatives were the parking $32 (parking is really tough in that part of he city though) and the resort fee $15. I hate resort fees at any hotel, I just think its gouging. The other problem is the construction right outside our window. They started wih jack hammers at 7 o'clock, not cool. The carpets are a bit worn but I think it just added to the charm and warmth of the place.
One thing I have never seen that they had that I loved was an entryway that you had to pass through that gave a sound buffer to the hallway. Brilliant!

• Stayed July 2012
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012 via mobile

This iconic hotel is perfectly located just far enough from the gaslamp to avoid the noise, but close enough for an easy stroll into it.
Afternoon tea is wonderful, and the brunch offering is above par.

• Stayed June 2012

Been to The Westgate Hotel? Share your experiences!