“Historical Gem!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #35 of 270 Hotels in San Diego
Salt Lake City, Utah
“Historical Gem!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2011

Loved our stay here. There is such a rich history to this hotel. From an outside appearance, the contemporary lines make it seem more of an office building in the downtown lamp district of San Diego. However, step into the ornate lobby and you are transported back to Europe hundreds of years ago!

The location is great and the hotel is clean and well-maintained. Rooms are designed to look antiquated with touches of richlieu furniture. Not my style really but it fits the hotel. Mattresses could be replaced as it wasn't the most comfortable hotel bed I've ever had. Bathrooms too could use some updating.

No real complaints. I would stay here again. If you're into history, read up on the property before staying. Also - explore the ballroom level at night. It is pretty creepy and ghostlike :)

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
Houston TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2011

We stayed at the Westgate in October. It is a beautiful hotel with spacious, clean rooms just blocks from the historic Gas Lamp District. Our room had a small balcony, (room to stand) but it was nice to be able to open the large sliding glass door. It is one block from a wonderful shopping area with stores like Macy's and Nordstrom's, yet near plenty of boutique restaurants and unique shops in the Gas Lamp District.
My husband had a business conference near the Convention Center, which is within walking distance (six blocks give or take). There are plenty of hotels near the Convention Center, which is also located on the waterfront, but if you want to stay away from the tourist areas, but still be close enough to visit the sites, then this hotel is perfect. Also, the ride to and from the airport is painless, which we really appreciate when rushed to catch a flight.

Room Tip: The water views are few and squeezed between other buildings, but I don't think we paid extra, s...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Los Angeles, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2011

I won this hotel on Priceline, for a Saturday night stay (11/5) I got a GREAT rate, a fantastic deal compared to the retail value. I was a little apprehensive after reading some of the reviews here. It's actually a pretty good hotel. You have to understand the decor is just.. well... tacky, and European, looks like my Grandmother's house haha. Even if they drastically updated, it would still be ugly, it is just the style. It actually seemed fairly updated to me, they had iPhone clock radios and flat screen TV's. It had everything I would expect in a 4 star hotel. It's kind of like it just irked me.. I would rather the clean, plain stylings of a normal hotel.

After I won the room I called to see if I could get 2 beds, because we had 3 guests. The gentleman on the phone said Priceline rooms were only King rooms, so I was a little frustrated but he said if there are any double rooms available we could probably have one (if not we could pay $20 for a rollaway). So, at check in not only did we get 2 double beds on the 15th floor, but an amazing view of downtown! The room was clean, again it's just tacky. I kinda liked having the old fashioned "electronic key" that looked like a key! The room was very large so was the bathroom and vanity.

My only major complaint with this hotel was the fees. I honestly felt nickel-and-dimed. I paid $32 to park, then a $15 resort fee when I didn't utilize any "resort" services (and there was no water bottles in our room till they came and turned down our beds), we barely used the internet (and would have done without it had it not been "free"), didn't use the gym or anything. Then I thought I might have to pay for the rollaway on top of everything. The fees ended up being more than 1/2 what I actually paid for the room. I guess that is what you get in Downtown. But it was frustrating since we were on a budget.

Overall a good stay. The staff was friendly. Wonderful location, the shortest walk to hang out in Gaslamp and at Horton Plaza, this is by far the best location of any hotel I've stayed at in Downtown San Diego. Overall I would recommend it.. but I'd honestly prefer a boring Westin.

Room Tip: See if you can get one facing Horton Plaza, on a high floor, beautiful view.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Fountain Valley, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011

I stayed at the Westgate through Hotwire and before I got there I had read reviews and knew I would have to pay an additional $15 a day fee for water, internet etc. I was pretty upset about that until I got to the hotel. Our room was beautiful and large. There were two bottles of water and a bucket full of ice waiting for us in our room. We had a refridgerator with four more bottles of water in it. The water actually came in handy and I was glad I had it. There was a small coffe maker in the bathroom area with coffee and tea. I made use of that also. The bathroom was very large and the shower pressure was amazing! Our room was very clean. The location was great, easy walking to gaslamp or the waterfront. In the evening they had a nice trio playing music in the bar. All in all we had a very enjoyable stay at the Westgate and I would go back again.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Darlington, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2011

check in was fine, although the lady clerk seemed to think that i was doing her a favour by staying at the hotel but no big problem really. i asked for a quiet room and had also telephoned a few days before to request the same but when i got out of the elavator my room was right in front of me so i went straight back down and told her again what i wanted she then gave me another room which was only next door to the original room, Hmm was she listening ? but i decided to at least have a look. to enter the room your first enter a small lobby which is shared with the next room so the elevator noise was not an issue. The room itself is of a good size, very clean and had good quality furniture. The biggest let down is the bathroom !!! I last stayed at this hotel about 12 years ago and the bathroom has not changed who in their right mind puts strip lighting in the bathroom, the shower has a massive step up into it and twice i stubbed my toe getting in and out, not the best. however the shower had enough water pressure which can sometimes be an issue. I did not visit the hotel restaurant so i cannot comment on that but I did have room service a couple of times and the food and service where excellent. The door men were all very friendly and helpfull. Please be aware that there are some renovations being carried out in a part of the hotel and although i was on the top floor the noise at times was terrible this started at around 8.00 am and finished around 4.00pm. All in in a nice hotel but not the best that i have ever stayed in but not the worst either. Would I stay again ? not sure I would look elsewhere first.

Room Tip: check if renovations are being done if so the rear of the hotel would be a better idea
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
Pasadena, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2011

This hotel is old, old, old. Here on a business trip, none of the others were bothered by the time-capsule feel, but I was.

This is not to say it's not nice, or wasn't nice at one point. It really is a garage-kept old lady's car--almost as good as new but obviously not modern in any stretch. They do have flat-screen tvs, DVD players and refrigerators, but that's about it.

The rooms are huge, and it is a full-service hotel. Facilitates fee for gym, wifi and water/coffee is $15. Parking is $30/day.

NO FITTED SHEETS--which means that the flat sheet won't cover the mattress, which means that your feet are sleeping where everyone else's feet have been. Super gross! And the beds are hard.

I wouldn't stay here again, but it is a great location, and it is the biggest hotel room I've ever been in for the price. And again, the other three on my trip didn't find it to be as old as I did.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
TheGrandAmerica, Employee at The Westgate Hotel, responded to this review, October 28, 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your comments regarding your stay. I was very happy to read that you enjoyed our services and location.

The hotel is designed to emulate the classic places of Europe. Our public spaces are filled with original works of art and hand crafted furnishings from the 18th and 19th century. These treasures have been meticulously maintained through the years to be enjoyed by our guests.

In our ongoing efforts to continue to modernize our offerings we recently announced plans to add 37,000 square foot fitness center featuring 200 pieces of cardio and circuit training equipment, three workout studios and a full service spa and sport therapy clinic. Additionally a junior Olympic size lap pool will be located on our roof deck, complete with lounge areas and outdoor work out studios.

We hope you will stay with us on your next visit.

Richard Cox
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2011

Recently my wife and I stayed for 4 days at the Westgate Hotel in the Gaslamp. I did not specifically select the Westgate, but we stayed there through Hotwire (and we received a great rate).

THE GOOD:
Fantastic location.
Rooms have sliding glass doors to the outside that make for nice views and breezes.
Good rates (through Hotwire)

THE NOT SO GOOD (not actually bad)
The hotel is very dated. Examples include the dated room furniture, the dining area, and the 'bar.' I use quotations, because you have to see it. Once we stopped by and there were 3 senior couples, and one was having tea. Nothing wrong with that, but it was Friday night.

Also, no pool, and what they call a gym is a few stationary bikes and a little more.

HOT TIP:
They have a whole deck area with chairs, and when we asked the front desk, they said there was no such thing. There is, and it has a fountain, and we were the only ones out there.

Room Tip: Try to get a room as high up as possible, away from the elevator.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to The Westgate Hotel? Share your experiences!