“Westgate” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #36 of 270 Hotels in San Diego
Georgia
“Westgate”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2011

Agree with the other reviewer. The hidden $15.00 a day fee for "complimentary internet, 2 bottles of water and a newspaper" could not be opted out of. How is this "complimentary"? Check in was fast and friendly and my daughter and I were given a room with two beds at no extra charge, so that was a positive. The lobby is breath taking and quite pretty, and our room was very clean. Conveniently located to Horton Plaza and the Gaslamp District.

Stayed May 2011
lkarimiSanDiego, General Manager at The Westgate Hotel, responded to this review, May 26, 2011
Dear Guest,

I was very disappointed to learn of your displeasure. I sincerely apologize. The management and staff are grateful for the opportunity to provide exceptional services and products to our valued guests.

The Westgate Hotels fee structure is in place for all hotel guests, regardless of the method used to reserve your accommodations. Our fees for services are competitive for the downtown market. A complete list of services and fees associated is available on our hotel website as well as all merchant partners. I am sorry if our guest services department used the word complimentary when describing the hotels services. The fee that you have mentioned includes many services. In room Wi-Fi and Ethernet HSI, 24 Hour access to the fitness center via your guest room key, 24 access to our business lounge for computer access and limited printing services, and local and domestic long distance telephone as well as remote printing from your lap top or tablet for delivery to your guest room. The hotel also provides in room coffee service along with chilled spring water.

The hotel does offer public Wi-Fi in our public spaces.

Richard Cox

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
Newport Beach, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2011 via mobile

Got the hotel from Hotwire so we didn't know the exact hotel before booking. Valet fee is $32 overnight and they charge a mandatory $15 fee for Internet, coffee, and newspaper. We used none.

Hotel was very formal but felt old and tired. The room was actually very large and the bathroom was spacious.

If I had paid the going rate online ($179+) and the $48 total for valet/Internet it would have been more disappointing. But we paid $110 so that made it feel better.

For the money, find a newer hotel downtown like the Westin.

• Stayed May 2011
Dear Guest,

The Westgate Hotel’s fee structure is in place for all hotel guests, regardless of the method used to reserve your accommodations. Our fees for services are competitive for the downtown market. A complete list of services and fees associated is available on our hotel website as well as all merchant partners.

The hotel is modeled after the Palace Versailles and adorned with many authentic works of art as well as antique furnishing. Continuing to be true to the hotels original design we have continued the look and feel of this classic setting through managed renovations.

Richard Cox
New York, NY, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2011

Pros first, cons last.

We booked this hotel through Priceline for a spectacularly low price relative to what Expedia was asking (approx. 1/3). When we got there, we were quickly checked in and experienced nothing but positive and friendly service. The hotel lobby is old world, gilded and worthy of a movie set. My fiance and I took engagement photos in the lobby and the second floor ballrooms and hallways. I would not be exaggerating by stating that the hallways on the second floor look palatial, with china cabinets and porcelain statues and vases on pedestals.

Our rooms were very well appointed, although the carpets are a bit dated. Nonetheless, everything was very clean and daily maid service was perfect. Messages were left for us when we had our "privacy" sign out, turn down service included filling the ice bucket, it couldn't have been more perfect. We heard the next door neighbors literally and figuratively "banging" but otherwise very well insulated from room and street noise.

There is a small, but well-appointed gym, but no pool.

The location is excellent. Less than 2 miles from the airport and right next to the Horton mall one block away. 7-eleven next door as well for snacks and drinks. One issue though, San Diego downtown is a bit sketchy - there are a lot of homeless and bail bonds places right around the corner from 4-5 star hotels like this and the US Grant. We asked the concierge if walking to Little Italy was possible (at 10 pm) and she cheerfully said yes. After 3 blocks, we had to turn back and get the car. The streets became rough and dark with underpasses and highway crossings. I wouldn't do it and she shouldn't have given us the advice.

Now for the bad part - and this is big. Parking now costs $32 per day! And there is no street parking at all in the area (for over 30 minutes). Much of San Diego downtown is like this so you have no choice but to pay.

Next, there is now a Mandatory, HIDDEN $15 room fee! This is over and above your Priceline total. So if you think all you're paying is the Priceline total, you are WRONG! Add $15 to it. The attendant told us that this was a new policy and that it covered wireless internet, 2 bottles of water a day, and a newspaper. We could not opt out of it. This is flat out wrong. People use priceline in order to pre-pay and get a total and fixed cost. What's to stop a hotel from charging $50 extra per night when you show up??? Even if you book this hotel directly from their website, you may miss this extra $15 charge.

Al in all, I tolerated the extra fee and parking charges because the hotel was exquisitely elegant. Plus, we had great service and beautiful engagement photos. If I had paid full price, the ratings would have dipped.

Room Tip: Use Priceline, but beware the extra $15 fee.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Menlo Park, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2011

I loved my stay at this hotel. I wish I could pack this hotel in my suitcase and take it everywhere I go. My first impression was that the lobby was beautiful. The service was friendly and wonderful. The room was spacious, clean, and nicely furnished. Easy wireless connection. Lots of lighting on the desk so I could work. Nice deck with sliding door. The mattress and pillows were soooo comfortable. Room service for breakfast was prompt, hot and absolutely delicious. I will definitely stay here again whenever I visit San Diego.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Ottawa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2011

We booked this hotel on Expedia and while I had some trepidation, they were fortunately overcome by "she who must be obeyed". The hotel staff was friendly and could not do more to help direct us, or to answer any questions. The lobby is large, full of the scent of fresh cut flowers, and provides several areas that can be used for visiting and discreet conversation. The valet service is the 1st that I have ever encountered that I would have used for my private car-bright clean underground facility that allows drop off and pick-up in a friendly, unhurried environment.
The room was clean and well appointed with a flat screen TV and very comfortable beds. The bathroom with its seperate toilet and bath area was ideal.
I would sugest that the Westgate is an adult's hotel. I am sure that children are welcome, and there were several at the hotel when we were there, but the ambiance in the lobby with beautiful music playing and the early French decore throughout might not be the ideal place for young people.
We enjoyed the bar and the evening live music, I was happy and amazed that they had a whisky that, I had never even heard of, a wonderful Japanese single malt, but they went well out of their way to locate it elsewhere when I lamented the less than steller single malts at the bar.
Looking forward to a return stay at the Westgate.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Carmel, IN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2011

I had some very polarizing thoughts about this hotel after my recent stay. There was good, there was horrible, and there was the cavalry! First the good:
-Beautiful and very large rooms with ornate decor, bathroom fixtures and architecture.
-Free wi-fi (a pleasant surprise for a full-service hotel)
-Very good, albeit over-priced restaurant and bar.
-Gorgeous lobby area and friendly staff.
-Mini-balconies on all rooms, with good tv's and air-conditioners
-Starbucks coffee complimentary, plus free bottled water, turndown service and mints each night.
-Excellent central location near Horton Plaza and about 6 blocks from the harbor.
-Lovely and private 3rd floor sun terrace available to all guests, complete with decorative fountains, tables and chaise lounges.

Now, the BAD!!!
-Over-priced parking (about $30 nightly)
-No coffee-maker in room (free coffee is in lounge)
-Mini-safe has to be purchased to be used.
-2nd night of my 3-night stay was completely sleepless and scary, as a group of completely drunk "soccer riot" types blasted into their rooms next to us screaming at 11 pm, then left. They then returned in the midst of a FORTY MINUTE free-for-all physical fight at 3 a.m. People being thrown against walls, language that would make Bobby Knight blush and apologize,...you get the idea!! I was actually too scared to call for help, as I thought they'd figure out it was me that called and be waiting to beat me up in the hallway, NO JOKE!!!

THE CAVALRY!!!
-The Westgate earned my complete and total respect the next morning. After apologizing profusely, they assured me that something would be done to rectify the situation for my daughter and me. Later that afternoon, they bumped us to a top floor, SPECTACULAR suite!! Gorgeous harbor views, etc. Further, they gave us 2 free unlimited room service breakfasts (priced at about $25 EACH), moved our luggage for us,....and fined the losers in the room next to us $250 for the disturbance and damage done to the room by smoking in it!! (haha idiots!!). I probably received 7 or 8 very sincere apologies, when only 1 or 2 were necessary. It made me think I really mattered to them and that the staff truly cared about the hotel's reputation and the public perception such an event could stain. Out of a terrible situation, I give them a hearty and heartfelt thumbs-up for the way they made things right.

This hotel isn't for everybody, as it's a tiny bit pretentious (the facility, NOT the people) and has no pool for kids. However, it's a place I'd enthusiastically stay again without hesitation!

Room Tip: Ask for harbor side view on higher floors
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
St. John's, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2011

Booked The Westgate via Priceline, got a very good price and wasn't sure what to expect for well under $100/night. Have seen some bad reviews of the hotel here. Arrived in San Diego at the conclusion of a 10 day cruise, debarked from the shop very early. I didn't expect my room to be ready but went to the hotel anyway (can't walk around town with luggage). Met by a bell hop who took my luggage to the front desk. They checked and discovered not to my surprise that they didn't have mt room available, the very pleasant woman on the front desk suggest I leave my luggage, and call back around lunch time and they should be able to get me in. I left my luggage and walked back downtown looking for something to do, I decided to take a hop on, hop off style city tour, purchased tickets for that, as well as the zoo and Midway. Spent the day exploring, returned to the hotel at about 3ish, again very pleasant front desk staff. Given my room key, and offered help to get my luggage to my room.

From the exterior the hotel is like any other, but once you walk in, you are transported to another time and place, it is one of the most beautiful lobbies I have encountered in a long time. There are ample elevators resulting in Little waiting to get to or from your room. My room was on the 5th floor, it was very nice. Once off the elevator, you are greeted by a set of double doors that lead to two rooms, one of which was mine. An electronic key grants access to the hallway and your room.

My room was very large, a french balcony offered a somewhat limited view of downtown. The room was well equipped with TV (older tube type, not a flat screen) DVD player, clock radio with ipod dock, desk, chair and bed. It also had at least 3 phones, one next to the bed on a night table, a second on the desk and a third next to the sink. The hotel offer free wifi access as well. Off the main bedroom was a large bathroom area containing a lengthy vanity, and sink along with nice bath products, creams, shampoos and soap. Off of that room was a walk in closet, with double doors, and a sliding door led to an inner bathroom with toilet facilities and a large shower/bath combination.

The room was very clean, but slightly dated by worn carpet. The room was cleaned in the morning, and in the evening there was a turn-down service, where the comfort and extra pillows were stored, chocolate left on the pillow, and a personalized forecast was left on the night stand, free bottle water and ice was also supplied at this time.

The hotel made me feel special, I had planned to attend high tea, but didn't feel that my attire suited the occasion, young women were there in the bright colourful dresses and flowery hats. The hotel is very classy.

As I had already mentioned the carpet was worn, the only other downside was street noise. San Diego has a busy railway downtown and the noise can be disturbing. As in many big cities, sirens can be heard much of the night, a fire station is just a little over a block away. Also there was a protest one morning across the street that woke me. THe rooms are not well insulated for sound from the outside, but given the quality of this hotel, these are minor issues.

Room Tip: A higher floor
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled solo

Been to The Westgate Hotel? Share your experiences!