“Great value for money” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Vagabond Inn - San Diego Airport Marina

You added Vagabond Inn - San Diego Airport Marina to your Saves list
Vagabond Inn - San Diego Airport Marina
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1325 Scott Street, San Diego, CA 92106 (Formerly Vagabond Inn San Diego (Point Loma))   |
Ranked #116 of 271 Hotels in San Diego
Norway
“Great value for money”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2009

Great location. Point Loma is an excellent place to stay if you're in San Diego. A bit off track regarding the tram, however europeeans who love a bit of a walk should love this place. The room was clean although a bit smelly. Nothing you would care about after 10 minutes. Very friendly and helpful staff, free coffee all day. Not that big of an breakfast however enough to get started in the morning. We had a room with a window to the restaurant and the harbour next to the hotel, however we did not experience any noise what so ever. Also plenty of free wireless with several hotspots that cover the hotel.

I absolutely loved it and consider the price it is well worth the money.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2009

Great location next to the airport, although it is in front of a restaurant that closes at 6:30pm and a bar that seems to be pretty noisy.

The front desk staff was friendly and efficient.

The continental breakfast consists of pastries and some coffee.

Parking is free which is nice.

The room was clean, OK. The bathroom had no fan and a window that overlooked the outside hallway. I did not see an elevator to go up to the room but only stairs.

There were cigarette holes in the blanket, a microwave and mini-bar.

All in all, if you are looking for very basic accommodation, a motel, then this is the place to go.

• Stayed July 2009
Vancouver
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2009

I've averaged 45 stays per year at the Point Loma Vagabond Inn for the past 3 years and have come to love this value gem in San Diego. The front staff are extremely hospitable and courteous, the rooms impeccably clean, comfortable and utterly serviceable. Close to airport, great walks and restaurants. The pool is warm and clean. The neighbourhood is a busy location, and the fishing industry starts early, so earplugs are useful if you plan to sleep in.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
Corvallis, Oregon
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2009

I had searched for value accommodations in the San Diego area and chose this one primarily for the positive reviews. I reserved a double room plenty in advance of our stay. We arrived at about 9:00pm, and I went to the front desk to check in. The check-in process seemed to take longer than I would have expected, and finally the gentleman at the desk asked if we would be willing to upgrade to a room with a king bed, pull-out couch, and kitchenette. I agreed, we got the keys, and we went to the room. I opened the door and found the bed unmade, towels on the floor, and trash from the previous people on the table. Obviously, the room had not been cleaned.
I told the man at the desk and asked if we could just get the room we originally had reserved. He said they didn't have one because their last double had broken down (I suspect it had already been given away.) He then said he would get housekeeping to come clean the room if we could wait just a while.
We left for about 20 minutes and then returned to find the room at least looking clean, but I had a bad feeling about a quick clean job that late at night. In addition, the room had a very musty odor to it every time we returned to it.
At check-out I was asked, "How was your stay?" So I told the above story, but the person at the desk just said, "Oh."
The bottom line was we didn't get the room we asked for, the room we got was not ready and was prepared hastily, the room had a musty odor, and we received no offer of compensation for our inconvenience. Based on these reasons, I would probably not stay at this property again.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
Carson City, Nevada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2009

My husband and I travel to San Diego quite often and are pretty familiar with the area. We considered all options from the Sheraton Hotel and Marina, Holiday Inn, Embassy Suites, Bay Club hotel, to the Super 8. We don’t spend much time in the room so we are mostly concerned with location, cleanliness, and value/price. Yes, there are times where I would pay for incredible views, hot tub, spa features and an elegant room but not all the time since we do travel a lot. On earlier trips, we drove by the Vagabond Inn while it was getting updated/refurbished and wondered how the rooms looked. We decided to book a couple of nights and see what we thought and ended up extending our stay there.
What did I like?
The room was clean.
The bed was comfortable.
Refrigerator and microwave in room.
Coffee maker in room.
Great location.
NO parking fees (which can really add up). These fees can be hidden charges at the other hotels and you won’t be told at check-in.
Manager on site who is friendly and on top of any problems you may have
Staff friendly
Continental Breakfast (fruits and pastries)
Free Internet

What did I not like?
People in nonsmoking rooms smoke outside their room which some of that smoke can get into your room when you open your door.
Hole in our bedspread. If I would have been picky, I know this would have been changed out ASAP due to the manager being very accommodating.

Overall, great value for price.
I will stay there again.
Have already recommended this place to friends.
Also, we stayed on the first floor near the office/pool. Not sure if all rooms have been updated but I am pretty sure they have been.

-Miguel's Restaurant is just a block away - excellent Mexican food
-Point Loma Seafoods is right behind the hotel. Great smoked fish and other seafood.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
vagabondinnpl, General Manager at Vagabond Inn - San Diego Airport Marina, responded to this review, June 29, 2009
Thank you for reviewing our hotel we look forward in serving you in the future.
REAL-E-REAL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2009

We liked the Vagabond very much!

The Vagabond is a nice little inexpensive place to stay while checking out San Diego attractions. I was drawn to it by some reviews I'd read, the location and the price.

The staff is easy going and friendly. The room was clean, beds were comfortable. Our room had a desk, T.V., refrigerator, microwave, coffee maker and free wi-fi.

The free breakfast consisted of coffee, fruit, muffins and pastries. Coffee was always available in the lobby.

There isn't an on site laundry. There's a coin op laundry about four or five small blocks away but it was closed while we were there. I drove less than 2 miles to another coin laundry called Ocean Breeze Wash & Dry. Its address is 4745 Point Loma Ave, San Diego, 92107. It was very nice and I folded my clothes while looking out at the ocean. I was there at around 9 am on a Saturday morning and had no trouble getting machines.

One thing that I though would be a good reason for staying at the Vagabond was the Fish Market next door where you can get fresh sandwiches, tacos, crab cakes etc.. I was less than impressed by the food and the prices were very high.

We had a fabulous dinner at Filippis Pizza Grotto (address 1747 India St, San Diego, CA 92101). Filippis is in Little Italy, about 4 miles from the Vagabond.

Other things that are next door is a Whale Watching boat trip company and fishing trip service company. I wish we'd had time for those.

I'm sure I'll be visiting this Vagabond Inn again.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
Thank you for being our guest and for taking the time to review our hotel. See you next time.
Las Vegas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2009

OK, so this isn't the Waldorf Astoria...it's not supposed to be. But the location is PERFECT for anyone heading out on one of the vessels at the Landings right there practically in the parking lot!

The rooms were clean, roomy and just perfect for the night! If you're heading out do do some deep sea fishing from H&M Landing...this is the place to be!

I had called after making my reservation to change it to a handicapped room, as I had to bring my daughter at the last minute, and they were very accomodating. The hadicapp room was perfect for us!

• Stayed January 2009, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to review our location I hope we can serve you again in the near future.

Been to Vagabond Inn - San Diego Airport Marina? Share your experiences!