“Super Charming!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #85 of 270 Hotels in San Diego
Baltimore, Maryland
“Super Charming!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

My husband and I stayed at the Horton 2/15-2/19 and loved it! The hotel is super charming and though parts of it are old in age, everything is in beautifully restored condition and has all your modern conveniences. We had a balcony room on the 4th floor and it was a fantastic view of the gaslamp! I've been raving about the place since we checked in. They were doing some minor renovations/maintenance while we were there, but it was done so quickly and discreetly that I was actually impressed! Housekeeping was wonderful as well and we didn't have to ask for a thing over the 4 days we were there. Definitely stay here!

• Stayed February 2015, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

I LOVE this hotel. The décor, rooms, fireplaces in the rooms, balcony choices, architecture and location. Everything in The Horton Grand was exquisite and pristine and the front desk customer service was above and beyond. Also grab a bite in their on site restaurant as the service there was excellent!

Make sure to tour the hotel as there is so much beauty to see and ask them which elevator to get on so you can see the glass enclosed rooms from days gone by. Stay here and walk to anywhere in downtown San Diego!

Room Tip: If you like city living, ask for the room with the balcony.
Jacksonville, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

This hotel has a lot of good qualities and overall I would recommend it to friends and family traveling to San Diego. We had a king bedroom with balcony and fireplace. For my husband and I it was a very comfortable size and the bathroom was a good size as well. I love anything with a good history, and the Horton Grand had just that! It was very charming but also clean and update with the necessities (for the most part). The staff was very friendly and I have nothing but positive things to say about them.
The downside: our room overlooked the courtyard and so was on the front side of the hotel. We stayed Wednesday-Saturday night and my sleep was disrupted Friday and Saturday by the nightclub next door, Club Fluxx. I called the front desk and they offered ear plugs, but luckily I was able to fall asleep again without them. The water pressure in our shower was sad, but I figured it was due to environmental consciousness and reduced water flow shower heads....however, both rooms occupied by my other family members had much better water flow. We didn't inquire about it, but maybe that is something that could have been fixed. Lastly, my only wish was that our room had a mini-fridge for left over food and cold drinks in the morning (but again, a minor setback). We would definitely stay at the Horton Grand again, but would request a different room.

Room Tip: Try and get a room on the top floor (4th) to reduce sound of overhead traffic and on the backside of...
  • Stayed February 2015, traveled with friends
Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

This vintage hotel is tucked appropriately in San Diego's Gaslamp Quarter. The carved woodwork, high ceilings, and antique furnishings all embraced the charm of yesteryear. The rooms were cozy and very clean. The fireplace added to the homey feel of the room. I loved that it was on a timer so I didn't have to worry about turning it off!

There are many inviting "living rooms" & sitting areas throughout the hotel to have a leisurely chat with friends or just snuggle up with a good book. You can also sit outside on your own balcony which overlooks a charming courtyard.

It was quite fitting that the bathroom should house a wooden Victorian-style, chain-pull toilet and an antique drawer/shelf instead of a medicine cabinet. Plus the hotel room boasted of an armoire instead of a closet! All of this was so late-1800s style. (Ride the elevator and see more old room scenes on the way!)

If you do the Haunted Tour through the district, it starts with historic tales right there at this hotel.
Loved it all! The experience was an unexpected delight.

Room Tip: Get a room overlooking the courtyard; very pretty & avoided street noise. I would, however, avoi...
  • Stayed January 2015, traveled on business
San Antonio, TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

We spent a whole week of our recent trip to San Diego at the Horton Grand Hotel and enjoyed it very much. We wanted a quiet room so they placed us on the top floor in front in the middle in a charming room with a fireplace, high ceilings and a colorful bay window with stained glass. Convenient to everything, especially public transportation and good restaurants, it was a wonderful refuge right on the edge of the San Diego nightlife.

• Stayed January 2015, traveled as a couple
Sacramento, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Get a room with a balcony!! With the San Diego nightlife being so amazing in the Gaslamp area, you can watch it happen and enjoy the beautiful weather. I will stay here again, again, and again! It is so centrally located to everything! Petco Park, the beach, Gaslamp District restaurants, and nightlife scene.

Room Tip: 223 was amazing for a couple or solo traveler!
Sterling Heights, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Spent several days in early February at this hotel for DistribuTECH. The hotel has fantastic character. If I was here on vacation, I would have loved it. However, I was trying to conduct business during off hours from the trade show and there was no internet except for 4am Tuesday. Any other time, there was no connectivity. For a hotel recommended for attendees for DistribuTECH, this was not acceptable. Any time, we complained and there were three of us staying there - the response was sorry we are working on it. I lost a lot of productivity. So for business, I say no. But for pleasure, I guess it would be satisfactory even though even people on vacation insist on internet.

• Stayed February 2015, traveled on business

Been to The Horton Grand Hotel? Share your experiences!