“Victorian Charm , Elegant and Inviting” 5 of 5 stars

The Horton Grand Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   311 Island Ave., San Diego, CA 92101   |
Ranked #83 of 270 Hotels in San Diego
Miami, Florida
“Victorian Charm , Elegant and Inviting”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

This is my third time at this hotel, and it has never disappointed me. The whole decor is charming. Wrought iron furniture in a central brick laden courtyard, fireplaces in every room (or most), old fashioned pull-chain toilets etc; very Victorian and charming. The rooms are not big, and a bit crowded for a king-sized bed, but adequate. The rates are very affordable. Just walk out into the Gas Lamp district to myriads of hotels and bars. The convention Center (I came for our National Convention) was a ten minute walk, no more. The stadium ball park is around the corner, as also a mall. Very Central to everything.
Paula and Shannon at the front desk were always friendly, as also Julian the Bellman.
If you are coming to San Diego for work or pleasure and need a place that is elegant, clean and affordable, look no further.
I'll be back again !

Room Tip: No swimming pool or fitness Center as part of this Hotel.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
HortonGrandTeam, General Manager at The Horton Grand Hotel, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Thank you very much for staying with us three times, and it has been and will continue to be our pleasure to accommodate you. Very glad you enjoy our Victorian decor, and all of our guestrooms and grand rooms have fireplaces as well as heating and cooling systems. So glad you will be back again. We appreciate your kind comments about our staff and have passed them along to them.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
Jacksonville, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

Accomodations at the Hotel were wonderful. The staff was friendly, curteous, and informative. I used Valet Parking and that experience was very good as well. I would recommend the Horton to anyone traveling to San Diego. Thank you for the positive experience.

Room Tip: I suggest requesting a room with an inside balcony for the wonderful atrium view.
Middletown,md.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

I stayed at the Horton Grand during a convention. It was an oasis of rest and renewal during a very busy week.
I love the victorian charm of the old hotel,
the staff were friendly, they welcomed me back after a busy day, and professional. They were able to answer all of my questions and help with the computer.
I enjoyed the quiet sitting area on my floor, I think there is one on every floor.
There is a breautiful courtyard. It is not a chain with everything looking the same. It is quaint, refreshing and restful. I would love to go back to San Diego with my husband for a vacation and I would definitely stay at the Horton Grand.

Santa Maria, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

A great hotel in the old Victorian style. It is located in the heart of San Diego's Gas Lamp District. It is easy walking distance to the convention center and Petco Stadium. Food possibilities in the area are endless. We stayed in a room with a king size bed and a balcony that overlooked the courtyard and a view of the city. The staff was friendly and helpful. I was allowed a late checkout due to the fact that I was working a vender booth at a conference and had to break the booth down at about check-out time. I would not hesitate to book the Horton Grand Hotel again on subsequent visits to San Diego.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the old original portion of the hotel. Rooms facing the courtyard are quieter and...
Durham, North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

The people were great but the hotel it self was old and it had an old musty smell to it. There was no mircowave and no refrigerator. For the amout of money we paid for the room I should not have to rent a microwave for $15.00 a day.

Room Tip: The hold interior needs to be updated and a microwave and a refrigerator needs to be added to each r...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
HortonGrandTeam, General Manager at The Horton Grand Hotel, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Thank you for writing and submitting a guest review of our hotel. While we are happy to learn our people are great and have passed along your comment, we are sorry that your overall experience did not meet your expectations. We have reviewed your total review with our operations team. Every guest room has been renovated in the last 3 years. We do provide a refrigerator and microwave in all of our Grand rooms. We are happy to announce that every guest and Grand room now offers all of the following on a complimentary basis: WiFi, Java One 100% Columbian coffee and tea maker, and two bottles of water daily. We hope you will consider returning to our hotel so we try again to meet or exceed your expectations.
California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

We stayed at the Horton Grand for one evening on March 9th because we were taking part in the San Diego Half Marathon on March 10th. Upon arrival, the hotel was beautiful. Very Victorian-esque. It is located in the Gaslamp District, so it is surrounded by stores, restaurants, pubs, etc. It is walking distance to the Convention Center, the Wharf, and Petco Park. The front desk was very pleasant, letting us know that they would put us in a room facing the courtyard because it should be quieter (being that we needed sleep prior to the race). Well, I think we would have had a nice rest, BUT there is a club that is across the street that had booming music so loud, even my ear plugs and sound machine couldn't drown it out. And due to the time change that evening, the music went until 3AM! I got 2 hours of sleep that evening. I know this isn't something that the hotel has any control over, so I couldn't really complain to them. I just let them know that the club music booming all night was unpleasant. I would love to stay there again, but would never do it on a weekend! The room was so cute. I loved the Victorian-feel and decoration in the room. We had a little balcony that overlooked the patio, which was adorable. There were so many photos, antiques and artifacts from a long-ago era. We walked to Dublin's Irish Pub, which was right around the corner to meet some friends for a drink Saturday evening. We loved that everything was so close to the hotel; we didn't need to get our car from the Valet whenever we wanted to leave the hotel. I would recommend this hotel if you like that old-fashioned feel. As I stated before, we would love to visit again; but not on a weekend if we want to get some rest.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Olympia, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

The Horton Grand Hotel is a one of a kind hotel in the Gaslamp district. It is about 3 blocks from the convention center, and centrally located to shopping, grocery store and resturants and night clubs. It has charm and character. I enjoyed walking through the hotel looking at the antiques and artifacts. The outside and inside look like something reminicent of the New Orleans French Quarter. There is an inside court yard with balconies overlooking it. A great place to have a few quiet moments. There are also balconies that overlook the street, which also have chairs so you can sit and people watch.
My room was very comfortable and roomy as well. The hotel was very clean and tidy. The staff were friendly and very knowlegable about the area and were able to help with directions and suggestions for resturants. I will stay there again on my next trip to San Diego. It doesn't have the uniformity of a chain hotel, which is a refreshing characteristic, but all the professionalism that you would expect. It was also about 100$ cheaper than the hotels a block away. I feel that I got more than my money's worth. NOTE: if you are looking for something close to the convention center, the ones on the end of the convention center are really no closer in walking distance since this one will take you to the center of the convention center, and the ones on the end still require you to walk about 3 blocks to get to the center of the convention center.

Room Tip: The rooms overlooking the courtyard will be quieter than the ones overlooking the street. If you do...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Been to The Horton Grand Hotel? Share your experiences!