“Great stay!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #81 of 270 Hotels in San Diego
Olympia, Washington
“Great stay!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

The Horton Grand Hotel is a one of a kind hotel in the Gaslamp district. It is about 3 blocks from the convention center, and centrally located to shopping, grocery store and resturants and night clubs. It has charm and character. I enjoyed walking through the hotel looking at the antiques and artifacts. The outside and inside look like something reminicent of the New Orleans French Quarter. There is an inside court yard with balconies overlooking it. A great place to have a few quiet moments. There are also balconies that overlook the street, which also have chairs so you can sit and people watch.
My room was very comfortable and roomy as well. The hotel was very clean and tidy. The staff were friendly and very knowlegable about the area and were able to help with directions and suggestions for resturants. I will stay there again on my next trip to San Diego. It doesn't have the uniformity of a chain hotel, which is a refreshing characteristic, but all the professionalism that you would expect. It was also about 100$ cheaper than the hotels a block away. I feel that I got more than my money's worth. NOTE: if you are looking for something close to the convention center, the ones on the end of the convention center are really no closer in walking distance since this one will take you to the center of the convention center, and the ones on the end still require you to walk about 3 blocks to get to the center of the convention center.

Room Tip: The rooms overlooking the courtyard will be quieter than the ones overlooking the street. If you do...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
Dallas, Texas, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

We stayed at the Horton Grand from 3/1 through 3/7/2013. The personnel were delightful. The room was very comfortable. The extra sink and counter in the room made sharing the bathroom much more workable. It would have been nice to have open restaurants available, but I hear that that amenity is imminent. I can imagine the enjoyment of a cocktail in the courtyard. Special thanks to to Paula Ellis and Shannon Rice for their courtesy and to Greg for stepping in to help solve a "business office" problem. I would certainly both stay there again and recommend it to friends.

Room Tip: if you're a stair walker ... get a room on the "upstairs lobby" ...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
HortonGrandTeam, General Manager at The Horton Grand Hotel, responded to this review, March 14, 2013
We are thankful for your taking time to write a review of our Gaslamp District hotel, and for your decision to stay with us. We are delighted for mentioning some of our team members, and have passed along your kind remarks to them. We appreciate your staying with us again and recommending us to your friends. We offer daily breakfast and lunch in our Cheese Shop Restaurant. Our Palace Bar is open Friday and Saturday evenings, and occasionally other evenings of the week. We are considering serving drinks in our courtyard. We are within easy and short walking distance of 100 restaurants for dinner, bars, and night clubs. Also, now available for our hotel guests are complimentary WiFi, two bottles of water daily, and Java 100% Columbian coffee and tea maker.
Collegeville, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

The Grand Horton in San Diego is a very charming place located in the middle of the Gaslamp Quarter, just a few blocks from the convention center.
We found it to be unique, picturesque and fun. It lacks a few amenities, like a work-out area, but more than makes up for it with ambiance. The Victorian style one-of-a-kind rooms are much more pleasant than your basic cookie-cutter room.
The staff are friendly and courteous. The restaurant is really good.

Go. Enjoy yourself.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
HortonGrandTeam, General Manager at The Horton Grand Hotel, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
We appreciate your taking time to submit a guest review of our hotel. Thank you for staying with us. We are so pleased you consider our hotel to be charming and fun. Very pleased you consider our staff to be friendly and courteous. Thank you for your suggestion about a work out room. We are seriously considering adding one as an amenity. Hope you will return soon.
Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

After a two week cruise through the Panama Canal, the 8 of us traveling together checked into the Horton Grand Hotel. My step cousin who lives in San Diego suggested the hotel to us. It is a smaller hotel and charming in every way. It was also convenient to everything. Many good restaurants in the neighborhood. My husband was having back issues and needed a wheelchair. The hotel had one and loaned it to us, so our stay in San Diego went smoothly thanks to their accommodating our last minute need. I highly recommend the hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
windsor
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

I booked this hotel because I prefer places like this that have personality vs the usual hotel. I didn't realize how lovely it would be with all the gorgeous antiques. I found it amazing that a place with as much character as this was right in the gaslight area and so close to the convention center. The hotel staff was always pleasant and very helpful and the restaurant staff were very efficient and cordial as well. Would definitely stay again if the opportunity arose.

Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

Chose this for my first visit to San Diego, was not disappointed. Nice rooms, everything was clean and the setting quaint. Staff was very friendly and helpful. Liked very much being able to walk around to the restaurants, theaters and convention center.
Wish they would have had in room safes, my only complaint.

Hopkinton, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

I travel about 150 days a year...so I am in and out of hotels all the time. Let me first say this place is very different from you cookie cutter marriots and hiltons.

The hotel has a very homie vibe and is kept very well. My room was very nice with a deck that over-looked the tree filled courtyard in the middle of the property. The bed was very comfortable and the room was very spacious!

This hotel was a little cheaper than the rest as far as room rates but is just about 5min walk from the convention center which was key for my stay! Also, the gaslight district is right there which makes it easy to find a place for a bite to eat and some local color.

All of the employees at this place were very polite, courteous, super helpful and always greeting me with a smile on there face! The cheese shop was a great place to grab breakfast and lunch! Everyone there was very friendly and awesome.

Paula and Shannon at the front desk were so friendly...they were willing to help me out with anything they could and made coming and going from the hotel pleasurable!

All I can say is the personable vibe I got from this whole establishment made me feel like I was at home with friends! This is key for me seeing as though I travel alot.

DEF STAY HERE!!!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
We very much appreciate your extensive review of our hotel. We are thrilled to read your thoughts. Paula and Shannon are very thankful for your comments. Thank you very much for staying with us and hope to see you again soon.

Been to The Horton Grand Hotel? Share your experiences!