“The Horton Grand.....Excellent!!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #88 of 271 Hotels in San Diego
Laguna Hills, California
“The Horton Grand.....Excellent!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

My stay at the Horton Grand with my wife Anna was honestly one of our best hotel experiences ever. The staff was friendly and helpful, the room was clean, comfortable, and overall just very nice. The bed was also super comfortable! We were hoping to see a ghost but did not get the opportunity, at least this time.Breakfast the next morning was moderately priced and very good.
Honestly, the people that are knocking this hotel in some of these reviews are a little ignorant. If you are a business person looking for WiFi and the latest technology, go plug in your computer at Starbuck's or choose a brand-new hotel with the latest gadgets. The Horton was built in 1886 and has been nicely modified for a historic hotel, while still retaining a 19th century feel. It is what it is.....a very well maintained historic hotel. We will definitely be going back again soon!

Room Tip: Every room is a good room.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
Phoenix, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

The owner of this hotel must be a Scrooge. This was the end of December with temps in the 40-50's and the corridors and lobby were frigid. Unable to turn the heat up in the room and gas fireplace was on a timer but did not work. Room itself was fine although the bathroom was a little small. Great location but our room faced the street and was very noisy late at night. Be aware that parking is $26/night additional and good luck finding any on-street parking in Gaslamp Qtr.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
HortonGrandTeam, General Manager at The Horton Grand Hotel, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
We appreciate your taking the time to write a review of our hotel. San Diego is usually not cold for as long as it has been. However, we apologize for the temperature in your room and inoperative gas fireplace and have reviewed those with our operations team so they can correct both problems. We are very sorry that you did not have the warmth you deserved in your room. Hope you will consider returning to our hotel to experience a much more enjoyable stay.
Virginia Beach, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

The Horton Grand Hotel was lovely. However, the friendliness of the staff was lacking. Out of the 5 different front desk staff persons I came into contact with, NONE were friendly. In fact, they were down right rude! The TV had minimal reception. No internet. No micro/fridge in room. No ice to be found. There was a fireplace in the room, as advertised, but it was only 'for show'. The hotel itself was gorgeous and comfortable and right within the Gaslamp Quarter and an easy walk to the Convention Center. If the staff had been friendly, I would stay again. I can deal with no ice, no internet, no micro/fridge; but I can't deal with rudeness! Based on my experience, I would not stay here again

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
HortonGrandTeam, General Manager at The Horton Grand Hotel, responded to this review, December 29, 2012
We thank you for taking your time to complete a guest review of our hotel and for staying with us. We are very sorry for the very unacceptable service friendliness provided by our staff. We have reviewed your comments and friendliness expectations with our service providers. We hope you will reconsider giving us another opportunity to accommodate you. We recently installed new flat screen televisions in every room. Maintanance has been notified to inspect our televisions and take corrective action on the one in your room. Internet is provided for an hourly and daily fee. Ice is located on the 2nd and 4th floors, we are sorry you were not aware of this. Every room has a gas fireplace and that does emit some heat and is relaxing to sit by and for viewing.
Minneapolis
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

Horton's Grand is in easy walking distance to the San Diego Convention Center and all the attractions of the Gaslamp Quarter, yet feels "off the beaten path", is quiet, and (my favorite part) many rooms have a small balcony overlooking a brick courtyard of ficus trees. The staff was friendly, welcoming, and helpful. The gas fireplace in the room was romantic, but as there isn't a glass front panel, this wouldn't be good for kids. As an independent hotel, it has character and doesn't feel cold and sterile as larger hotels can be. It doesn't have one of those features those sterile hotels do offer, however: coffee maker in the room. But coffee is available at the front desk. I note this only as an FYI, not because it would prevent me from choosing this hotel again. On the contrary: I've made a note to stay here whenever I return to San Diego. Two thumbs up!

Room Tip: request a room with a balcony overlooking the courtyard. 4th floor balconies are above the courtyard...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Urbana, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

I am sure any words I type will be inadequate to describe my experience here. This is indeed a grand hotel; it is architecturally interesting and beautiful, it is filled with lovely antiques and old photos, and it is quiet and peaceful. There are fireplaces i every room (gas). There are beautiful antique pieces in the public areas, as well as in the rooms. The furniture that is not antique is fitting to the time period and beautiful as well. Our room opened onto a courtyard and had a little balcony. In the courtyard were trees adorned with strings of white lights and tables and chairs. We were lucky enough to meet the owner and her family. One night, there was entertainment in the bar (piano and singing) and after enjoying a drink and the music, we were invited on a tour of the hotel. The owner and her family were gracious and lovely people. The staff were extremely kind, friendly and helpful. The location (heart of the Gaslamp Quarter) is perfect. The next time I am in San Diego, I will most certainly stay here. In fact, I may just plan a trip to San Diego for the sole reason of staying here!

Room Tip: Rooms that open onto the courtyard offer a lovely place to sit in the mornings and evenings. The ro...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
City
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

Enjoyed my stay. Hotel staff was extremely pleasant, and helpful.
2 things that should be changed: since hotel doesn't have 24hr room service, or even a 24hr store/eatary, rooms should contain microfridges. No place to store food, and unable to purchase food onsite--not to efficient.

Room Tip: Corner rooms are the best
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

I stayed in this hotel during a conference which took place at the Convention Center.
What I enjoyed the most:
- located (1) at the heart of Gas Lamp quarter but (2) in a quiet place (3) within short walking distance to the Convention Center and (4) harbor which is a great place for a run. In my view it would be difficult to beat this.
- very beautiful and atmospheric building and interior. All my friends (not only me) who came to visit where impressed.
- very clean room with all things I needed. Easy to control temperature. Very comfortable mattress. I asked for a quiet room and it was quiet.
- the staff is very polite and responsive. Conversation was nice and informative. They understood and appreciated all my or my friend's needs and problems and reacted adequately to help us. One example: I missed my delivery which had been delivered when I was already in London. The re-shipment was organized by the staff at the optimal lowest but reliable cost.
- plenty placed to eat nicely (just to mention fresh catch tuna). Just 5 min walk.

My general feeling: comfort, convenience, reliability and confidence. The latter two are not so often in my experience.
I'll not waste time to look for another hotel when I'm back to San Diego next time.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo

Been to The Horton Grand Hotel? Share your experiences!