“A gem in the gaslamp district” 4 of 5 stars

Special Price
Special Offer Save 15%!
Ranked #88 of 271 Hotels in San Diego
San Antonio TX
“A gem in the gaslamp district”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012

I travel to San Diego every summer to attend an international conference and I have stayed in many different hotels throughout the years. Every year I was always attracted to The Horton Grand Hotel for its historic look. Finally, I was able to stay a whole week and it did not disappoint. The charm is not only on the outside, but in the lobby, staircase (brought piece by piece from Austria) and the rooms as well.
I was given one of the 2nd floor rooms with a small balcony facing 4th street. Despite the noise level at night (which management informed me at the time of check-in) I truly enjoyed the "old feel" of the small room (which includes a working fireplace!).
The hotel is in an idea location: close to the convention center, a block away from 5th street and a couple of blocks away from the mall (Horton Plaza).

Room Tip: If you need quiet to sleep, request a room overlooking the inner courtyard.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

Stayed at the Horton Grand for 3 nights while attending a convention. The location was fantastic, short walk to the Convention Center, there's a Starbucks and a 24-hour Subway within 2 blocks...really convenient. And you're right there for the action of the Gas Lamp District - perfect for going out to dinner and drinks after a long day at the conference! The room was really clean and comfy, antique decor has lots of character, and cool how they hide the TV behind mirrors above the fireplace. Yes, a fireplace in the room! Obviously didn't need it, but it was a cool feature. And whatever reviews or reports you read about the hotel being "haunted" - don't let that detour you from a comfortable and pleasant stay!! I had no clue about any of that when I booked, found out my 2nd night from someone at the conference, still had 3 soundless, solid nights of sleep :-)

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Lambertville, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2012

There was a mix up when I arrived at the Horton Grand Hotel in San Diego. Our company travel agent had mistakenly booked me for one night in July but I arrived in June. No problem. The folks at the front desk couldn't have been nicer or more helpful. They had a room for me and set me up while we chatted pleasantly. And even though I arrived well before 12pm/noon they had a clean room ready for me to drop my luggage, quickly freshen up and be off to my first business meeting.

I encountered difficulty connecting to the outsourced wireless IT service, even after dialing their tech support in the (702) area code, but easily used my iPhone to access the web, email, etc.
The 26" TV rather than a flat screen was no hardship, nor was the 1/2 length table top ironing board. I travel quite a bit and found these differences a pleasant change and charming differentiator from mega chain hotels like the Hyatts, Marriotts, Loews, etc...

The architecture, interior layout & decor is antique and charming, functional but not pretentious. The center staircase is lit by a top floor skylight, a great feature! My room was nicely furnished with golden oak pieces and brass trimmed lighting fixtures.

I particularly loved the golden oak water tank above the toilet with brass down pipe & pull chain. That took me back to my boyhood living in a 4th floor walk-up in Brooklyn.

Just off 4th Avenue in the heart of the Gaslamp the Horton Grand is conveniently located.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

It has the perfect location for touring and partying at night, is literally infront of a bar and is really close to starbucks too. I think is perfect for every type of person

• Stayed May 2012
San Diego
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2012

This, our 3rd stay was absolutely awsome. We opted to try one of the outside balcony rooms for the first time, and it was as promised. Do NOT stay in one of these rooms if you are expecting to cloisture yourself in a nice quiet cacoon (although one of the garden area balconies will give you that option quite well). It was loud, noisy and extremely fun as the night club across the street drew crowds of party revelors until 3 or 4 in the morning. Although you could barely hear the beat of the music, the night was busy with the sounds of throngs of pedicabs and cabbies dropping off more of the 'beautiful' people, reminicient of New Orleans at Mardi Gras with happy dancers and partiers. While I would hate to hear it for a full week, the Fri and Sat night crowds kept my wife and I busy just "people watching" on our deck overlooking the party while enjoying a nice glass of wine. We were well forewarned of the noise factor and anyone who still takes the rooms has no reason to complain. The rest of the hotel? Well described by many others, nice antique rooms, quaint furnishings, and (contrary to some of the other reviews) my wife and I have found that most hotel employees are just as friendly to you as you are to them, and the Horton was no exception. Great friendly service, and they now have room service! (can't rate it as I didn't use it, but it is nice to know its there!) A definite place to stay if you want something different!

Room Tip: Balcony rooms over the garden area are quiet, while the outside balcony rooms enjoy activity and vie...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Munroe Falls, OH
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2012

Was in San Diego for a seminar and stayed at this lovely, charming hotel. Beautiful, quaint rooms which are decorated in vintage style ( with a working fireplace) and are plenty big enough for the average traveler. Staff is friendly and helpful. The entire hotel was clean and fresh with interesting pictures and antiques through out the common areas. The convention center is a pleasant, short walk from the hotel. Also, it is very close to shopping and nice restaurants. I did not hear a peep of out door noise. A great value compared to the big, chain hotels. Would 110% recommend to others and will definitely stay there again on my next visit.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Los Angeles, Ca
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2012

This was our second stay at the Grand Horton, we stayed here because we booked with daily save. Although we missed the cut off date they were able to accomodate us and give us some credit on regular priced stay. We truly appreciated this and are thankful to Shannon for that. The rooms are clean and the decor fits the age of the hotel. The location is the best and walking distance to everything, for those reasons I would tell anyone to stay here.

What I did not appreciate was the valet worker named Julian who had the most unhelpful attitude. At check in time, I was alone so I asked Julian if there would be a problem in retrieving all the luggage from the car at a later time, he asked me where is the guys Im supposed to be with and went on to say that he will be busy later so I should take them now. I was fine with that and asked if I can use the bellman cart and he told me I can just leave the stuff at the front desk and come back down for the rest. I just ended up taking all the stuff by myself and for some reason I still tipped him.

The next morning was cold and we were headed out for breakfast and I asked Julian if I could get my sweater, he asked for my blue ticket, which we left upstairs and explained that we needed that in order to get my sweater. I told him, that I dont want the car just my sweater, but he seemed too wrapped up in flipping the pages of a magazine to care and Emma the front desk clerk didn't care either. So I decided to just deal with the cold.

So here we come to check out time and this couple in front of us forgot their precious blue ticket and guess what? Julian was happy to help them! He asked for their room number and car and sprinted out like a champ. I was livid! He could help them but not me???? I don't know if it is a race issue, the guy is hispanic and so am I, the couple he was helping out were white. I do not understand and I do not get it. This dynamic duo Emma and Julian make a quite a pair, she never stepped up to help me out when I was in need of a sweater and I tipped her too!

Just to think, I stopped at the bank to get $30.00 in dollar bills for tipping and I didn't end up using them as much as I thought I would.

Other than that, stay here for the location and the hotel despite an unhelpful valet worker. I want to end positively....Emma was kind enough to let me check in at 12:45PM instead of 3:00 PM and there is a great valet worker here named Sam :)

Room Tip: The balcony rooms are charming!
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Horton Grand Hotel? Share your experiences!