“Loved this Hotel” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersGold level
Yuma, Arizona
“Loved this Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2009

We had two rooms at this hotel, the hotel gave us one room facing the marina and the other room across the hall faced the bay. Both views were fantastic. The rooms were very spacious and had a nautical theme. All of the staff treated us like we were royalty. We were only there for one night, but I will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (767)
  • Polish first
San Diego, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2009

I've stayed at this Sheraton a few other times all in the Marina Tower, after a large charity event I coordinated in May of 2007 and again in May of 2008. The first room I stayed in was a Marina tower deluxe room with a great view of the marina. That was my favorite of the 3 I have been in, especially after the long night before. It was great sitting out on the balcony with a cup of coffee.

Stay 2 was a also a deluxe room, and just as nice, although the view of the parking lot wasn't as nice as that of the marina. If you are staying for leisure, I recommend paying the extra for a marina view. I think it's worth it.

During stay 3, we were given a club room, but ironically I enjoyed the deluxe rooms better. We originally reserved a king deluxe, but upon arrival were told we were upgraded to a club room. However, they gave us a double bed room. I just think it's strange having an extra, empty bed there. They must have been remodeling as well, which I hadn't seen any signs of in my previous stays. They were redoing the wallpaper on the floor we were on, which is fine, but there weren't any "pardon our mess signs" or taped off areas, so it just looked a little shabby, unlike the rest of the hotel.
We did get a chance to have breakfast in the club lounge and that was fantastic. The lounge is beautiful and the breakfast was nice, albeit it being a hyped up continental breakfast.

Overall, I've been pretty happy with Sheraton hotels. I recommend getting room service and ordering their seafood melt sandwhich. mmmm. This particular hotel has great catering and an executive chef, and I have been pleased with the large scale events I have held there as well. The staff are very courteous and attentive. Oh, and it's GREAT having a starbucks in the hotel as well. :)

I'm hoping next time I have a chance to enjoy the hotel's other amenities.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled on business
SSDHotelManagement, Manager at The Sheraton San Diego Hotel & Marina, responded to this review, May 11, 2009
Dear Guest,

We read your review and wanted to thank you for your comments. Your feedback is always important to us, and we really appreciate your continued loyalty to The Sheraton San Diego.

Kindest regards,
Edmonton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2009

I stayed overnight at the Sheraton Bay Tower (the smaller Sheraton) which is about a 7 minute walk from the Sheraton Marina. I took the convenient shuttle from the airport which was literally just a 5 min drive to the hotel. The shuttle runs approx every 25 mins. I stayed in room 917, which was a King size room with a large balcony. The room had a pleasant nautical theme with reds, blues and white. The bed was very comfy with white paneling around the bed. The room was outfitted with a sofa and armchair, a table/desk with two cushioned chairs. The minibar was one of those annoying electronic sensor types.

There were small touches; grey marble counter tops in the bathroom and leather pulls on the dresser drawers that gave the room a luxurious feel. The balcony looked over the Navy base across the water with downtown San Diego in the distance.

The only problem I had with the hotel was that I could hear the toilet flushing from the rooms above and beside mine, granted the toilets had a powerful flush.

I noticed a large number of airline crew were staying at the hotel. This was my first time at a Sheraton and I would say it’s comparable to a Hilton but not as nice a Hyatt (which I normally stay). I did enjoy the in-room Starbucks coffee and tea selection. Although I did not try, the hotel did not seem accessible by public transport. I took a quick $12 cab ride to San Diego downtown.

Overall, I enjoyed the stay and would recommend this hotel to everyone.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled solo
Sheffield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2009

We flew in from the UK to LAX then drove down to San Diego, it took about 23 hours so we weren't impressed when the check-in guy told us we were not going to be in the main building but had to go to the Bay Towers (we had lots of luggage and very tired kids at 4 and 12), but it was the first time I'd booked on Hotwire so wasn't sure what to expect at $90 a night, he told us we had a nice room on the 12th floor with a good view so we repacked the car and drove the short drive to the correct building, we headed striaght for the elevator and were a little surprised to not see a button marked "12", just 1 thru 11 and "P" which we imagined to stand for parking, but we pressed it anyway and were astonished the doors opened on the penthouse level and our "room with a good view" turned out to be the Sunset Suite with a private roof terrace that was even bigger than the room. We could not fault the hotel in anyway, the staff were friendly and enormously helpful and the pool and fitness room were excellent, and all for 90 dollars a night, congratulations Sheraton and god bless Hotwire...

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
SSDHotelManagement, Manager at The Sheraton San Diego Hotel & Marina, responded to this review, April 25, 2009
Dear Guest,

I read your review and am very glad to hear that you had a great experience with us. Thank you for your positive comments regarding our staff and the hotel facilities, and I do hope that we will be able to welcome you back again soon.

Kindest regards,
McPherson, Kansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2009

All the action, including the fancy pool, the restaurants, the bar, the starbucks, the concierge are in the main hotel. If you are bringing kids or want a lively scene, you must get into the Marina side.
300 yards away is the bay side, which is quiet. Small pool, small fitness room, small gift shop, small lobby, no crowds. I personally liked being able to work out or swim by myself, but it is a matter of personal preference. (And it is not that big of a deal to walk to the main hotel, esp. in San Diego weather.)

The food in Quinn's, the hotel bar and pub, was outstanding.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
Elk Grove, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2009

We stayed 2 nights at the Sheraton overlooking the harbor. Nice room. We booked on Priceline & maybe that's why we were next to the remote elevator. Only one of the two main elevators was working so the remote was much more active than usual, but it wasn't too bad. Our room did have a great view and the staff, particularly the parking valets were very friendly & helpful. Parking is $20/day or $28/day valet. We chose valet and only tipped once when we left ($20, he seemed happy, I hope they pool).

Redondo Beach, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2009

I spent 4 nights at this hotel as part of Comic Con 2007 (Comic Con is a citywide conference which pretty much sells out every hotel room in the San Diego area.)

Upon arrival parking was relatively easy to find as it is adjacent to the hotel BUT the parking lot was full, so once we found a parking spot, we went through the nearest hotel entrance we could find and it was a very long TIRING walk to the front desk. The front desk staff was very courteous and cordial and check-in was speedy.

We were checked into a room in the Marina Tower (the main tower) and we were VERY disappointed. We had requested a room with a King bed but were checked into one with two beds instead. The room was very basic and it was quite noisy, as well. IF we had stayed in this room for the duration of our stay, I would have been thoroughly dissapointed.

The following morning we received a call from the Front Desk stating that if we desired we could move to a room in the Bay Tower. We packed up our things, drove to the other Tower (it IS necessary to drive between the Towers...too far to walk) and boy, were we pleased. The Bay tower has quite the resort feel to it and it is adjacent to the Marina (not sure about the Marina Tower as our room there faced the main street) The lobby was very elegantly decorated and the rooms were very large and cozy and were decorated in a tasteful nautical theme. It was much quieter in this Tower and the vibe was much more laid-back than it was at the main tower. They should be two different hotels!!

My advice: Stay at the Bay Tower unless you are there overnight on a layover and only care about the bed...
Also for those attending Comic-Con, this hotel is located at a very good location. The Comic-Con trolly makes pickups right outside the main entrance, and the Comic-
Con room rate was very reasonable, as well.
All in all, I would stay here again (but only in the Bay Tower!! :) )

• Stayed July 2007, traveled on business

Been to The Sheraton San Diego Hotel & Marina? Share your experiences!