“Yatch baby” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #129 of 270 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersGold level
“Yatch baby”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2014

To see the marina close by was really nice. Room is small. Bathroom petite. Nice pools. Lobby was very nice. I like the shuttle. On the expensive side. Close to every thing, zoo, seaword, balboa park. Parking is a killer $24 a night.. So put them high heels & have fun in town!

Stayed August 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (819)
  • Polish first
Denver
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2014

Great trip nice room with great view. Friendly staff. Would definitely stay again, and bring the family too.

Only issue was there was virtually no water pressure - took forever to take a shower. Could have been the high floor, but I kinda dreaded trying to get shampoo out my hair - and I'm a man with short hair.

Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2014

This hotel - apart from a very convenient airport shuttle which is just minutes away -it is very close to the marina and most famous seaport village ( which also has shuttles ) . the hotel gives a vey resort like feel even though it is in the heart of the city .

we got early check ( a big plus for families travelling with young children ) . The breakfast was very nice and hotel staff very warm . We also got a room with a great view of the marina !

This is also very close to sea world !!

Room Tip: Ask for the marina view. They are lovely .
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Valencia, Spain
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2014

We want to stay at this hotel for one week. At our arrival Rudy, yes I think this was his name, opened my door and asked me if I need a Bellwagon. As I confirmed he shows me signing to one corner where they are. I took one and I moved my luggage to it. After Rudy asked me if I want valet parking or self parking. As we have traveled about 5000 miles in the last three weeks of our 25000$ vacations, we just want to relax and don't move the car so I decided to use the self parking. After my response Rudy lost all his interes in us. I take the car and I park it at the parking nearby.
When I come back Rudy informed me that I can't park there because the first 4 lines are reserved for Valet parking. I go again back to the car, a little disgussed as he could have told me that before. I park the car in the fifth line, counting them again to make sure I parked this time in the right place. After coming back another clerk tells me I can't park there because this is reserved for valet parking. I told him that Rudy has told me that only the four first lines are valet parking signing on Rudy who is next to us. In this moment Rudy shout at me like nowone has ever shout that I have to take the car inmediately from this parking. I really have stayed in many hotels in my life but this roudy should never work in touch with clients. We will change this hotel asap because I really haven't to stand this.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
AustinGubrud, Manager at The Sheraton San Diego Hotel & Marina, responded to this review, August 22, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review and for your recent stay. We are disappointed to hear your experience at our hotel was less than satisfactory.

It is never our intention to misrepresent our facilities and we apologize for the inconvenience you experienced. We are deeply disappointed to hear that you did not receive the high level of service that we are known for. Your comments will be forwarded to the appropriate leadership and addressed immediately.

Thank you for your review and we hope to welcome you back for another opportunity to demonstrate the potential of our hotel.

Buffalo
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2014

Stayed at this property for six days while attending a conference of hospitality educators being held at this hotel. The hotel offers beautiful views of San Diego Harbor and Marinas and offers two pleasant swimming pools, a nicely equipped work out facility, and plenty of great meeting space. It is conveniently located across the street from San Diego International Airport and offers complementary shuttle to and from the airport every 30 minutes or less.

My guestroom was on the 9th floor of the Marina Tower overlooking the airport and the San Diego Skyline. No complaints with the guestroom, though the "Sweet Sleeper Bed" was not the most comfortable, but acceptable.

In the six days of my occupancy, I experienced five (5) service failures that should never have occurred:

Service Failure 1 (Day 1): I arrived alone on a Monday evening at 9pm with a rental car that I had used to travel from Los Angeles. I pulled in front of the hotel's Marina Tower entrance to drop off my suitcase with the doorman so I could go return my rental car to an agency three miles away. This process took me 15 minutes as the doorman kept insisting I "surrender my car keys to him". He would not listen to me and just take the bag out of the trunk and give me a claim check so I could leave and later reclaim the bag. Finally, after I unloaded the bag and repeated for the fifth time what I was trying to accomplish he grabbed the bag and stormed off in a huff to inside the hotel. He returned and never spoke to me. Five minutes later a bellman came out with a claim check in his hand confused as to who he was supposed to see. I stood there waiting...and waiting. Finally the bellman approached me, but at the same time the Valet Manager told me I needed to move my vehicle, he did not like where it was standing, though that is where the doorman originally directed me to wait with the vehicle. Why does it take 3 employees, 15 minutes, and me getting upset and frustrated just to drop off my bag so I can return the rental car and then come back and check in to the hotel?

Service Failure 2 (Day 1): The bellman who brought the suitcase to my guestroom was great. He even beat me to the room because Natalie the front desk clerk, a person of very few words or pleasantries, failed to point put the correct elevator to use when she checked me in. That is okay, i enjoyed walking down hallways finding the nearest elevator that is not really the nearest. Anyway, within two minutes of arriving at my room, I unwittingly locked myself out of my guestroom. I thought I had the room key in my pocket. Wrong! It was the room key from last night's hotel. So down to the front desk, wait in line for five minutes and I then explained the situation to Susan the trainee. After she asked my room number (instead of my name) I gave her the wrong room number (my unintentional mistake) and showed her my ID. You guessed it, she made a key for the wrong room instead of verifying my room number in the front desk computer.This was after she announced my room number (albeit the wrong room number) aloud twice so that other guests could hear it. When I reminded her this was a safety and security violation she acknowledged her mistake and became flustered. And of course the key did not work anyway for my room. But it did work in the hotel room across the hall from mine! Back down to the front desk to have a safety and security conversation with the Front Office Manager on Duty. I only had to wait 7 minutes for her to appear. Total time still trying to get this issue resolved: 20 minutes.

Service Failure 3 (Day 3): I left my guestroom at 11am that morning and spent the entire day in the hotel attending my conference. Returned to my guestroom at 9:40pm only to find that my room was not serviced. Bed was not made, no fresh towels, nothing. No, there was not a Do Not Disturb sign on the door. No, I did not choose to participate in the Starwood Green program and elect not to receive housekeeping service. Down to the front desk, wait in line for five minutes, inquire what happened and I was met with a blank stare. I was informed that it was too late and there were no housekeeping personnel to service the room that evening. So, despite the fact that I did not opt out of housekeeping service when I checked in, the hotel decided I did not merit housekeeping service for that day and there was no solution they could offer. JUST DEAL WITH IT. Thanks!

Service Failure 4 (Day 4): Some colleagues and I decided to go to the Gaslamp District for dinner and would take the $3 shuttle that leaves from in front of the hotel at 8pm. I went to the front desk to request change for a $50 bill so I could pay the shuttle fee to the driver. This process only took 15 minutes. Apparently the clerk nor none of the other clerks at the front desk could break a $50 bill (really?)! He had to "go in back" and find change, returning about 8 minutes later with two twenties and a ten (better, but not ideal). This is a full service hotel across from the airport in a world class city, right? Don't guests need change so they can tip bellman,shuttle van drivers, doormen, etc.? Why was this simple request so difficult and lengthy to attempt to fulfill? I am still confused here.

Service Failure 5 (Day 6): It is 10:45am on Saturday morning, the day after the conference concluded, and I go to the front desk to check out and obtain a copy of my bill (guest folio). Not a good experience. The property management system (computer system) is not working and has been "down" for some time. The hotel cannot provide a folio to me (or anyone else) so I can get reimbursed by my employer. The desk clerk promised that I will be "emailed" a folio. I am not pleased; I cannot determine the total of my charges or if all charges are valid or there were mistakes. I am forced to walk away frustrated and trusting the hotel will follow through on its assurance to email me the folio. In retrospect , maybe if the front desk clerk asked for my email address that would have helped? Of course this did not happen. Here it is...six days after my departure from the hotel and still no folio received. No email from the hotel except the request by the hotel's general manager, Scott Hermes, to complete this review and rate his hotel. So here it is in all it candid glory! I really would like to get reimbursed by my employer for my hotel stay, so I guess I will be forced to contact the hotel and request a receipt for my stay, if their computers are functioning. Since I had to unload my own luggage on Monday and also make my own guestroom bed on Wednesday night, I might as well do the other work for the hotel as well.

Enjoy your stay at this hotel, just do not be surprised if you experience your own service failures. Beautiful views though.

Room Tip: Make sure you are staying in the Marina Tower and not the "lanai" rooms uness you plan to...
Green Features: The hotel may make the decision for you to not service your room. Good Luck!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
AustinGubrud, General Manager at The Sheraton San Diego Hotel & Marina, responded to this review, August 8, 2014
Dear revpar77,

Thank you for taking the time to write your comments and for discussing your concerns in detail through our email communication. We certainly owe you an apology for the lack-luster experience you received at our hotel. We clearly missed the mark.

Your thorough review of your experience is disappointing to hear, but will prove to be an effective training mechanism for our staff. Please find comfort that your concerns are in the hands of the appropriate leadership team and the issues will be addressed - with my personal guidance along the way.

Thank you for your review and we are hopeful for another opportunity to demonstrate the potential of our hotel.

Scott Hermes
Sheraton San Diego Hotel & Marina
Tampa, FL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2014

This is a nice hotel with good amenities that is super convenient to airport. I was at my gate 20 minutes after I left my room this am. Good green program that let's you earn $$ for restaurants.

Only complaint is isn't convenient to walk anywhere.

• Stayed August 2014
San Francisco, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2014

While the hotel is physically quite nice for it's age, the service level is poor. The hotel front desk is noticeably understaffed with constant queues with long waits for anything. Additionally, they can't seem to handle any special circumstances including overlapping reservations caused by convention rates not being available each night.

Our stay got off on the wrong foot and keep going downhill. We booked a higher rate than if we had used Expedia therefore giving the hotel more bottom line and also protecting the room block of the conference we were attending, yet we were given a room with a view of a brick wall. When I spoke to the front desk person they were totally uncooperative and basically said tough luck. It took a manager to rectify the situation, but then a long, long wait for someone to actually come and help us move rooms.

At the conference, I was unimpressed with the food and there were no staff visible servicing the group on the convention floor. This was a challenge as meetings rooms were scatter everywhere in this hotel. On one occasion, I asked a restaurant hostess where a particular meeting room was located and they couldn't tell me.

On top of everything else, while presumably no fault of the hotel, at check out all the computers were down making everything that much worse as I couldn't even review my bill before checking out.

Room Tip: Don't book a standard room at the senior rate unless you want to be looking at a wall.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for your review and recent stay at the Sheraton San Diego Hotel and Marina. It is always gratifying when we can create a welcoming experience for our guests. This is why your story is so upsetting to hear and we are deeply disappointed about how far short we fell of your expectations beginning at arrival.

The lack-luster assistance you received is unacceptable and will surely be addressed. Please accept our apology and take note that this is not the norm for our hotel. Providing impeccable service is essential to our goal of creating a home away from home and your comments will prove valuable to our ongoing efforts.

Thank you again for your review. We hope to welcome you back for another opportunity to demonstrate the potential of our hotel.

Warm Regards,

Been to The Sheraton San Diego Hotel & Marina? Share your experiences!