“What Happened??” 3 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersGold level
Orange County, California
“What Happened??”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

We used to go here all the time. We loved it. Not sure if new management took over but everything has changed. The decor, feel, cleanliness and staff. It used to be when you first walked in to the lobby it was warm, inviting, friendly staff, clean hotel rooms. This last time (a week ago) was none of those things. They changed the decor in the lobby. It is now dark, cold feeling, strange seating areas, the staff from the outside valet parkers to the inside at the desks were not friendly. They didn't even greet us. When we checked out the staff behind the desks didn't thank us or say goodbye either. Our room had old, beaten up furniture and was not clean - especially the bathroom. It was gross.They need to overhaul the hotel rooms with new furniture and get a construction crew for their bathrooms. I was scared to even touch anything. We will not be staying there anymore we will find a new hotel in that area.

Room Tip: upper marina and bay views. check the room first to see if its clean
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
AustinGubrud, Marketing Coordinator at The Sheraton San Diego Hotel & Marina, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Dear lana90025,

Firstly, I would like to thank you for leaving your review, as it is comments like yours that provide an extremely helpful perspective to our never-ending push for improvement.

We have received many comments (mostly good and some bad) on the lobby experience, and we appreciate your constructive opinion. Your thoughts regarding the ambiance of the lobby and guestrooms will be mentioned during future leadership meetings, but please note that this is not the norm for our hotel as we commonly receive great comments about the relaxing and social nature of our lobby space.

Thank you for your review and recent stay at the Sheraton San Diego Hotel and Marina. We are hopeful that your latest experience did not cloud your previous lasting memories at our hotel.

Sheraton San Diego Hotel and Marina

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (801)
  • Polish first
Barcelona, Spain
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

I was at Sheraton Marina Bay in San Diego last August 2012.
They offered us a really nice room with panoramic views to the private seaport which allowed us to see an incredible sunset every day.
The staff was very polite and efficient, and the restaurant pretty good.
However, must say the parking was really expensive without any real possibility to park somewhere else.
Still, i will come back.

Room Tip: Ask for seaport views
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Buffalo, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

Just checked out of this hotel yesterday and was shocked it has the Sheraton name on it. Very far from the Gas Lamp District and the other hotels and restaurants but very close to the airport. There are two different towers and they are not close. I was there for a meeting and seminar and this hotel was noisy (from construction going on at all hours) and in a state of disrepair. There was a problem with my door and I could not get the door to the hallway shut when I left the room at noon for a meeting the day after I checked in. There was a woman in the hall from housekeeping and she never once offered to help or call anyone although I was pulling the door over and over. Finally, after just asking her for help, turns out she did not speak one word of English. I went to my meeting and stopped at the gift shop for hairspray on the way and just put it in the bag from the gift shop in my purse after a quick spray. Turns out when I got back to my room found the entire bottle leaked from bottle into bag. The woman in the gift shop literally spent 10 minutes questioning me when I went to get it replaced the next day. On my way leaving the room for the reception later my door would not shut again. Finally I gave up after hurting my hand again and called the front desk. I was LEFT ON HOLD AND THEY NEVER CAME BACK. I called back and it rang and rang and finally I was able to report that the door would not shut again and they sent up security. He was a very nice man who was shocked how bad the door was. By then I was 20 minutes late for the reception and he needed to get a construction crew in to fix the door. Although he said they would do something to compensate me, I never heard from anyone. I returned to my room that night and there was debris and dust from where they had been fixing the door and my room service tray from 12 hours earlier was still sitting outside my door! Next morning when I was checking out the door would not shut again. I stopped by the front desk on my way out and again, pretty much indifference.

I would NOT recommend this hotel. Other than a nice view from my window of the bay, there is no reason to put up with such indifference and lack of responsiveness, especially when you are so far from all the shops and restaurants. Others in my group complained about the non-stop construction noise in our tower, to no avail.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
AustinGubrud, Marketing Coordinator at The Sheraton San Diego Hotel & Marina, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
Dear FrequentFlyer_1987,

Our ongoing efforts to provide exceptional experiences for all our guests has proven to be an impressive attribute to our hotel, which is why your comments are deeply concerning. I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for taking the time to leave your TripAdvisor review, as guest comments are the heart and soul of the superior level of service our hotel is known for.

The lackluster experience that was dealt to you at our hotel is unacceptable and will be investigated further. Broken doors and dirty food plates does not exemplify our goal of providing a comfortable, clean, and accommodating experiences.

With a hotel of our size, we rely on our Front Desk Associates to handle inevitable problems that occasionally arise in a timely manner. Your comments in relation to the lagging hold times while asking for assistance will be communicated to the appropriate leadership and will be included in further training sessions.

We apologize for any distress and inconveniences this has caused you, but please note that this is not the norm for our hotel. With that said, we are hopeful for an opportunity to demonstrate the potential of our hotel if your travel plans extend to San Diego in the future.

Thank you, again, for your review and recent stay at the Sheraton San Diego Hotel and Marina.

Belpre, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

I liked my room in marina side. Staff was nice. Room was nicely updated and lean. The running trail outside the hotel was great. My only complaint was the shower was mediocre at best. I ate at the bar one evening, and got the quesadilla yes – they were terrific. It was a trip to get in town, but on Saturday after the conference ended, I Rented car for much cheaper than I could've taken a taxi and saw the sights of San Diego. That was a great idea which I would recommend.

Room Tip: Marina pool side was great.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for our last night in California. Everything was good minus the $22 parking fee, however that is par for the course. We went to bed and heard an alarm clock from the next room. We called The front desk, but no luck, called again and 25 minutes later they shut it off. This happened 3 times during the night. The staff was not very apologetic until the next am when I complained. It ruined our experience, for others this is unlikely to happen and aside from the service the hotel was great. Rooms were spacious and clean and had no issues. I would stay here again.

• Stayed February 2013
AustinGubrud, Marketing Coordinator at The Sheraton San Diego Hotel & Marina, responded to this review, February 8, 2013
Dear tiredtravellerCanada,

Listening to our guests experiences, good or bad, is the heart and soul of our ongoing efforts to create extraordinary and lasting memories. For that reason, I would like to thank you for taking the time to write about your concerns.

We understand the importance of a good night’s sleep, especially when you’re traveling, and we would like to apologize for the disruptive alarm clock in the neighboring guestroom. Your incident will be investigated and brought up during future leadership meetings to see where improvements to the system can be made.

Thank you for your recent stay at the Sheraton San Diego Hotel and Marina and we are hopeful for another opportunity to demonstrate the potential of our hotel.

Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

I was a little skeptical about the hotel (reading reviews after we had booked our trip for a one week stay over Christmas) but the fears ended almost immediately upon arrival. It started with the incredibly customer service orientated check in staff.
This was followed by a very nice room overlooking the Marina which contrary to some of the reports that I have read was quiet. Sure there was some aircraft activities heard (mainly between 6:30 and 7:00am) but people have to realize that they are booking a room literally a few blocks from the airport. It was far from inconvenient, I think that I only noticed it because I was in my wake up mode.
The price for meals was average for hotel dining and the food left nothing to be desired.
Overall, a great staff who cared (except for one concierge who pushed one particular car rental company and when we finally said okay played games to try to delay us until the agency would close for Christmas , we waited 3 hours for them to pick us up, she said she tried two others and they had nothing, I made one call and we were in a rental car in 45 minutes)
After that poor service we found our own things to do with the great help of restaurant and bar staff (great source of advice for things that are a must do and some to pass on)
There are a few very nice reasonably priced excellent restaurants within walking distance,try Island Prime and The boathouse, you will not be disappointed.
Would we stay there again? Absolutely we plan to again next year.

Room Tip: Definitely Marina view higher than the 5th floor.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
AustinGubrud, Marketing Coordinator at The Sheraton San Diego Hotel & Marina, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
Dear wthutch,

Thank you for the great comments about your experience at our hotel and specifically our dining offerings. Most of all, thank you for recognizing our staff. We take great pride in our service and appreciate that you took the time to acknowledge our efforts.

Your comments are truly appreciated and we look forward to hosting you again next year or whenever your travel plans permit.

Cape Town Central, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

I recently spent 5 nights hear for a conference. It had great facilities a great pool nice rooms and the service was good overall. Only criticism is that the bar was too expensive and reception were slow. But for any business trip to the city or conference this place is ideal.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

Been to The Sheraton San Diego Hotel & Marina? Share your experiences!