“Beautiful hotel, but far away from the city” 4 of 5 stars

4th Night Free & Credit
Ranked #119 of 270 hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersGold level
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Beautiful hotel, but far away from the city”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

I stayed one night in this hotel, because I had to catch an early flight. I walked from the airport (approx. 5 to 10 minutes walking) to the hotel. Walking is a very good alternative for the airport shuttle. I got a room in the Marina tower. It was a very spacious room, modern and quiet (couldn`t hear airport noise). I did not sleep very well, because there were people yelling and running in the hallway all night. Although the hotel is only a 10 minutes drive away from the city, it`s not ideal for visiting the city. No public transport available, only taxi or shuttle. If you need a hotel close to the airport the Sheraton is great choice, if not: there are plenty other good hotels available in the city center.

2,443 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (740)
  • Polish first
London, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

We both use Sheraton a lot for business so this was a safe bet.

Good points :

Clean rooms

Club Lounge is smart

Main bar was friendly and helpful

Gym and Sauna and Pool good quality

Housekeeping good

Weak points:

This is a conference hotel and only conference guests matter. No attention to sole travellers

Check in check out staff are not interested. When you pay $2200 for your room bill you expect someone to acknowledge you and say thnks for staying. Our check out was purely transactional. Lisa printed the bill handed it over unfolded and said "there you are". Interesting approach to service....

Room cards were not enabled to se club lounge that we had paid for, and then required to trips back to reception to sort

Car Parking validation didn't work for 2 days apparently due to heavy recent rain.

When we had to go back to reception to get keys reprogrammed a second time the receptionist didn't even apologise

So overall, this Sheraton is only interested in Conference guests and whilst the place is lovely, it is very sad that given how much we spend with these people Corporately that when you then travel personally they rapidly decide to ignore you

I guess a couple of $k for four days is nothing here but experience left a sour service taste.

Hope that is a balanced review overall.

Room Tip: Get a club room on 12th
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Boyle
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

I flew into San Diego Airport and waited for the hotel shuttle to pick me up as it duly did in a matter of minutes. The journey to the hotel is very short. I was staying for 7 nights. Upon checkin, I was greeted by the fabulous Dinah who was superb all during my stay at the front desk. A true ambassador for the Starwood brand. I was assigned my room 1064, as requested prior to my arrival and I was delighted with it. I have no idea what people's expectations are from hotels these days but as a very frequent traveller this rates as one of the best experiences I have ever had in ANY hotel. The staff throughout my stay could not of been more helpful and courteous. Having a Starbucks in the lobby is ideal. Taxis into downtown are only $15 (incl tip). The pools have a resort style feel to them. The Microsoft Link in the lobby gives you all the internet you need for free. I signed up to the hotel's initiative on not needing housekeeping every day (a wonderful idea) and you get a daily $5 voucher that can be spent in any hotel outlet. Brilliant is all I can say.

vancouver
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

We stayed in The Sheraton San Diego Hotel And Marina for 3 nights on a family trip to the San Diego Zoo etc. It is a beautiful hotel in a convenient location to all of San Diego's amenities. During our stay, we visited the San Diego Zoo and local beaches, all within a 15 minute drive.

The Hotel has an excellent resort style pool and hot tub, with an adjoining fire pit area. The ocean view over the marina is outstanding, and there is a nice walking path right in front. The shared spaces are beautifully decorated, and conveniently there is a Starbucks and a hotel bar in the lobby.

We were pleasantly surprised to receive an 11th floor king room with an unobstructed view of ocean over the marina. Our room was spacious, well outfitted, and clean. We did notice some noise from the nearby airport in the mornings, but it did not bother us overly.

Parking did seem exorbitant at $22 per night, but the hotel is located right next to the airport which does not help local parking rates I suppose. One minor inconvenience is the parking gates which seem to have difficulty reading room keys. After multiple tries to get in the gate, we always had to resort to calling the valet desk.

Overall, we enjoyed our stay here and would definitely come back to stay at the Sheraton San Diego Hotel & Marina again on our next trip to San Diego.

Room Tip: We were lucky enough to be given an 11th floor Marina Tower king room overlooking the ocean. Reques...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Yuma, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

We booked two rooms at this hotel. It is very close to SAN so it is convenient picking up guests flying in to visit. Our family was very happy with the hotel, also.

Our rooms were in the Marina Tower. The rooms are very clean and spacious. The balcony was big enough for 2 chairs and a table with extra room to boot. The beds were wonderful. All four of our group raved about the sleep we got after playing tourist all day.

Check-In was a breeze. The lady made sure we had rooms across the hall so we got to see both views from our respective balconies. Also, the concierge recommended three restaurants. He made reservations for us and we were not disappointed. All staff that we came in contact with were friendly, courteous and helpful when needed. The grounds are beautiful and very well kept.

The only drawback that we had was the parking. Since we self-parked, it was a long walk to the gravel parking lot. Also, should we really have to pay $22 per night to park our car in a gravel lot?

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
San Luis Obispo, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

Attended a 3 day conference here earlier this month. Excellent venue for that purpose--eat, sleep, work all in one place and you can almost walk to it from the airport. It's really to separate hotel buildings united under one name and management. It's about a 5 minute walk along the marina between hotels, and there's a shuttle as well. You can check in at either building, so keep that in mind when you give the cab driver directions. Drawback of this hotel is that you are isolated and will need a car or taxi to get to San Diego's other tourist spots, restaurants, etc. Cab fare to Little Italy was about $12 each way.

Room Tip: I stayed in the Bay Tower, the smaller of the two, and I preferred it. Small, intimate bar and newl...
Castro Valley, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

I recently stayed at this hotel because my husband was attending a conference and I got to tag along. This hotel is beautifully laid out! The room was comfy but the frig in the room was stocked with the mini bar items and had a sign on it that personal storage of my items was not allowed. I could have requested a second frig but that seemed silly, so I just put my wine on the balcony since it was a bit chilly. I had breakfast in the main dining room twice. I paid $24 for scrambled eggs, bacon, cottage cheese and english muffin with coffee. A bit pricey in my opinion, even though the quality of the food was very good. The pool/jacuzzi area is very pretty! Too cold to swim in the pool but I did use the jacuzzi one night and it was perfect. The gym has top quality equipment! Parking was $22/day and the biggest issue we had was the stupid card machine to get in and out of the lot. The room key is supposed to be swiped to get the lot gate to open and most of the time it didn't work and we had to call for help. Not very efficient! Be warned that this hotel is practically on top of the San Diego Airport, so there is alot of plane noise, despite the double windows. The bar/lounge had a nice variety of appetizers on their menu and lots of TVs with sporting events showing. Honestly, we will not stay there again, because we prefer to stay nearer the Gas Lamp district. I was very glad that we had a rental car! Pretty hotel right on the water, but not near downtown.

Room Tip: Our room 661 overlooked the airport.....so we had the plane noise...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Been to The Sheraton San Diego Hotel & Marina? Share your experiences!