“In need of a serious refurbishment all around” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Declan Suites San Diego

You added Declan Suites San Diego to your Saves list
Declan Suites San Diego
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   701 A. Street, San Diego, CA 92101 (Formerly Sheraton Suites San Diego) (Downtown)   |
Hotel packages
Special Price
Save 25% Now!
Ranked #188 of 271 Hotels in San Diego
San Francisco, California
“In need of a serious refurbishment all around”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

I would not recommend staying here unless you are forced to and don't have another choice. The 4 points sheraton downtown san diego is a much deal with more modern rooms.

Depressing out of date decor throughout- lobby, hallways and rooms, furniture..all of it.. What's annoying is the all around apathy towards providing a competitive and modern Sheraton experience and in the downtown of a major metropolitan area.

Old style tube TVs in the bedrooms and flatscreens crammed into old furniture and awkwardly placed in the living area.

The room service menu is annoyingly limited...the only starters offered are a soup.

Seriously both Four points properties in the San Diego area are more inviting as are the other regular Sheratons (Marina & La Jolla)

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
SheratonSuitesSD, General Manager at Declan Suites San Diego, responded to this review, September 27, 2013
Positive or otherwise, it’s always upsetting to discover that a guest did not experience the stay they deserved. We offer our sincerest apologies that your stay was not everything it should have been. Our guests often praise our in-room dining options and we wish that you had felt the same. Your feedback is greatly appreciated by us. We’re always working hard to make improvements and we hope that you’ll consider another stay with us.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
  • Turkish first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013 via mobile

We enjoyed our 3 night stay in the spacious suite. Other reviews are accurate in terms of friendly staff and opportunity for some updating but for the price and perks we got (free parking and complimentary buffet breakfast) it was worth the value. My lone complaint is the charges for usage on internet and phones. Yes its common but travelling throughout the world and at Starwood establishments these things are generally included (I expect) so I was disappointed with the fees associated with these basic services.

SheratonSuitesSD, General Manager at Declan Suites San Diego, responded to this review, September 24, 2013
It’s great that you had a pleasant stay with us at the Sheraton Suites San Diego at Symphony Hall! We’re glad that the package you selected provided you amenities beneficial to your stay. Thank you for providing us with your perspective.
Bay Area, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

The Good:
Solid location in downtown SD near Gaslamp and freeways
Friendly staff
Inside pool and spa were nice feature
Suite style rooms were nice and size was pretty good

The Ok:
Had a restaurant and bar on site but didn't see anyone in there during our 2 night stay
Required 2 sets of elevators to get to rooms
Although room was decent size and set up, the hotel just has not been renovated in quite a while. Nothing bad, but just a bit worn and tired

The Not So Good:
Parking at the hotel very expensive per day, and thus we ended up saving quite a bit of $ parking in lots across the street overnight since we were out most of the day

Based on the pricing of the hotel, it's a solid deal given its downtown location and the suite style/size rooms. I would consider staying here if I want to be near downton financial or Gaslamp district. However, if I was on vacation or the like, I probably would choose a different hotel. Stayed at much better Sheratons before, as this was slightly below average but had some redeeming values.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
SheratonSuitesSD, General Manager at Declan Suites San Diego, responded to this review, September 16, 2013
Thank you for providing us such detailed feedback. While we’re glad that you had a positive stay, we wish that it was better than you’ve experienced before. It’s great that you were able to take advantage of our pool facilities and found our suite-style rooms to be satisfying. It would be a pleasure to have you back again and we hope that your next stay will be nothing less than incredible.
Tracy, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

The hotel is close walking distance to the Gaslamp Quarter. The hotel is nice, the beds are very comfortable and the restaurant food is good but expensive. Considering all of the amazing restaurants within walking distance, it's not worth eating there. Very disappointed with the air conditioning, every one in our conference complained the rooms were too warm. The refrigerator in my room was like an oven, I complained and they brought in a fridge and left it next to the other fridge instead of replacing it. There was also a lot of mildew around the shower.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
While we’re glad that our prime location and Hilton Serenity beds were a highlight on your stay, we regret to hear that the other aspects of your stay did not meet your expectations. Your comments are greatly appreciated by us and we’ll be sure to share them with our maintenance staff. We are very sorry that the refrigerator issue you reported was not corrected properly. It is our hope that we can provide you a better stay in the future.
Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

I want to express my extreme disappointment with my stay at the Sheraton San Diego and the service I have received since.

I have had multiple billing problems related to both the front desk and accounting department. My first issue was that the wrong credit card was charged for the room even though I took time to go to the front desk to confirm. The front desk woman was rude and said there was no way to check, but she was sure it was on the right card. Sure enough, it got charged to the person who put down the deposit and not my card.

When trying to solve this matter with accounting, I was told I could only leave a voicemail or go to the website and it took a long period of time to fix. Now, even though I have been emailed multiple times saying my account has been closed out, I just received another random amount billed to my card.

when we were checking out, the woman said she knew nothing about how to pay for parking, but just to pay her. We then got stuck at the parking exit for about 15 minutes while we waited for valet to help us (even though we already paid).

I'm don't often complain, but my experience has been so horrible. I often travel for work and book hotels for events and have never received such poor service. When I asked if there was a manager I could email or talk to about this matter the person at the front desk just said "no."

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
First and foremost we would offer our sincerest apologies about the billing mishap you’ve encountered with our hotel. When an issue arises, our staff works diligently to make things right and your experience is very out of character for us. Thank you for bringing forth your experience. Your comments will be shared with our desk and billing staff and improvements will certainly be made. We trust that a resolution will be met soon.
West Chester, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

I stayed at this property for a conference. The location was very convenient. A nice walking distance to the Glass Lamp District and Horton Plaza. The conference areas were comfortable, and the staff and the service was particularly pleasing. My room just was not what I had in mind when the property was described. The beds and bedding were very comfortable, but the seating area was dated and the carpets throughout were soiled. There are pocket doors the separate the shower and the sink, and the shower area has amble space. I liked the separation of space between the seating area and the bedroom and it does offer privacy (glazed French doors), but I just did not feel comfortable sitting in the seating area. The refrigerator although convenient was dated and this area just felt old. Although I did not use the pool or the fitness center, these facilities looked nice when I did a walk through, and the view from the fitness center is a nice one during your workout. All in all my stay was good, and I rated it very good because of the service, but my room needed updating, and either a good carpet cleaning or new carpet.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Being able to experience rest and relaxation is key to an enjoyable conference experience. It sounds like we were able to provide you with that! We’re pleased to discover that our business facilities met your expectations. We offer our apologies that certain areas of your suite fell short of your standards; our staff would have been happy to better accommodate you or send someone up to make improvements had we been aware. Thank you for sharing your experience at the Sheraton Suites San Diego at Symphony Hall with us! We hope that you’ll visit us again and be able to take advantage of our pool and fitness facilities.
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

We were coming to San Diego for a Saturday night when the Yankees were in town and apparently we weren't the only ones with that idea. Therefore hotel prices were unusually high even for a summer weekend in San Diego. We were able to use points (a lot of them) to stay here.

The location is walking distance to the ballpark (about a mile) as well as the rest of the Gaslamp District, Seaport Village, and other areas of the Harbor. You might as well just walk to all of these places because if you self park you will not want to go through the hassle of driving down a windy 11 floors and then back up every time you go somewhere. Since the in & out privilege that comes with the $29 fee is pretty much useless, you'll probably end up using valet for $35 or might want to look at alternate parking options nearby or on the street, especially if you come in later on a Saturday afternoon going into Sunday (free street parking). While it's close enough to all the Gaslamp action, it's far enough to not be in the middle of it all night if a little peace and quiet is your preference. It's also nice that it is close to the trolleys if you need to get somewhere by trolly (Old Town? Qualcomm? SDSU? Tijuana?).

We didn't experience housekeeping since we were only there one night but the common areas looked nice. It was nice that the room was a 2 room suite. It was not gigantic, but having the separate rooms made it feel more spacious. The living room TV was a nice flat screen but the TV in the bedroom was old and out dated. You'd think they would at least have a nice smaller flat screen.

Overall I would not mind staying here again if the price was right but I would look for an alternate parking situation.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
SheratonSuitesSD, General Manager at Declan Suites San Diego, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Thank you for sharing your experience at the Sheraton Suites San Diego at Symphony Hall. We’re glad that our convenient location allowed you to visit our city’s attraction and get the rest and relaxation you needed. Due to the fact that our hotel begins on the 12th floor of Symphony Hall, our parking is up higher to keep you close to our facility. We apologize for any inconveniences this may have caused you. We hope that we will see you again on your next trip to San Diego.

Been to Declan Suites San Diego? Share your experiences!