“Great Hotel!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Declan Suites San Diego

Save Saved
You added Declan Suites San Diego to your Saves list
Declan Suites San Diego
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   701 A. Street, San Diego, CA 92101 (Formerly Sheraton Suites San Diego) (Downtown)   |
Hotel packages
Special Price
Stay More, Save More!
Ranked #185 of 269 hotels in San Diego
Los Angeles
“Great Hotel!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2008

I stayed here from 6/14 - 6/15 for my stay in San Diego to watch the 2008 US Open. Finding the hotel is no problem but parking was a little hassle. You have to park on like the 7th floor or something like that and to get up there you have to go up a twirling driveway. Interesting setup however it is downtown San Diego and parking is hard to find. Not anything huge, just wanted people to know how the setup is.

I checked in around 7 pm. For having elite status in their Starwood program, they gave me a club level room but the club room is not open on weekends which really disappointed me. However, they gave me 2 breakfast vouchers to a fancy restaurant that ajoins them. The suite was big and obviously had a living room and a separate bedroom with a bathroom. Looked very nice and was very cozy. A lot of standard amenities and everything was very clean. No complains about the room. Had a great sleep because it was very quiet. Woke up early the next morning and ate the breakfast buffet with the coupons. It was very delicious and the best breakfast I got at a hotel. Checked out with no problem. Will definately stay here again.

Stayed June 2008

660 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
  • Turkish first
Anchorage, AK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2008

My wife and I stayed at the Sheraton Suites for 9 days in June 2008. Overall, I would say our experience was positive. I think most people would find the accommodations more than satisfactory. If you lean toward the finicky side, you may find some minor discrepancies. Here is our assessment of the pros and cons:

Pros:

Price: We booked at priceline.com. We paid $100 a night, but feel like we may have still overbid somewhat - especially for the time of the year. The hotel did not appear to be full.

Customer Service - We found the staff to be VERY friendly and helpful. We arrived at 10:00 a.m. and were allowed to check in early. They showed us two rooms (one with a corner view and one without) and let us choose. We chose the one without the corner view. The configuration of the rooms made the non-corner room appear larger, although it wasn't really.. Every evening as we came in, we would receive a "welcome back" greeting from the staff.

Configuration - You basically get a bedroom, a living room, a kitchenette/bar area (although it is just a microwave and refrigerator), a bathroom (with separate shower/tub, and the toilet behind a privacy wall), and a sink and closet in a separate enclosed area. As you can see the suite is relatively large (think twice the size of a standard hotel room). We had a king bed, so there was plenty of room in the bedroom, although I could see where two full size beds would be a little cramped. I liked the frosted french doors between the living room and bedroom. Tow couples or a family could definitely use it - although storage space is a bit limited.

View - The hotel is on the twelveth floor, so all of the rooms have views. We were on the 22nd floor. We had a view of the city that extended out to Balboa Park. You could also see the harbor if you turned your head just right. There were planes coming in for a landing, but as other reviewers have said, you couldn't hear them. I think the 24: and 25th floors were for Starwood Preferred Members and the 26th and 27th floors were for Club members, although there there isn't much difference in the rooms from what I understand.

Location - Depending on your fitness level, you could pretty much walk to the zoo, Balboa Park (where the museums are) the Gaslamp District, and the docks. You can take a train to Tiajuana very easily. The trolley runs just two blocks from the hotel. Having a car is an added convenience though if you want to get out and explore.

Computer Access - There are four computers in the lobby with free internet access. You have to pay for internet access in your room. It was fairly easy to get time on the computers. Sometimes you had to wait a few minutes, but never very long.

Facilities ; There is a nice pool, with a fairly large deck area. The pool isn't very big, but what do you expect from a hotel. It is on the 12th floor and has large picture windows on one side, so you get a nice view. The exercise room appeared to be well equipped. Yes, you have to walk across the lobby to get to the pool, but there is also a locker room area and a bathroom for those who are a little more modest. Nothing to complain about.

CONS (and all of these are pretty minor):

Decor - My wife felt lke the decor was a bit dated. Bear in mind that it was not bad. It looked like the place has been fairly well maintained. The room furniture looked like it had absorbed a bit of wear and tear. They are in the process of updating. Our room even had a flatscreen TV in the LR with great reception.

Cleanliness - I'd rate clanliness as 3.5 - 4 stars. It looked like the maid only emptied trash and made the bed. Overall, it was fairly clean, but it didn't seem like they vaccumed, or did a good job cleaning sinks, etc. during our stay.

Parking - I have to mention this, since every one else has. In my opinion, "it is what it is." The only thing I would say is to make sure you rent a small vehicle. We had a little subcompact and had no problem, but we did see some people with larger cars struggling to get their vehicles into the small spaces. They would do well to make the parking diagonal, rather than pull in. Yeah it cost $20 per night, but that's what it cost. There is virtually no parking downtown, so that's what it costs. It actually cost us more to park our rental car than it did for the rental fee, but we're glad we had it. My overall assessment is that it is not as bad as others are making it out to be, but we also had a small car.

Refrigerator - Well, its not really a refrigerator. It is a drink cooler that doesn't keep things very cool. They will provide you a refrigerator, for an additional fee of $30 per night (no thanks). Yeah, we called them and asked them to come take a look - something I don't think they ever did, but so what?

Area: The area around the hotel is commercial. It is about 2-3 blocks from the gaslamp district. So, at night, it can be a little dark and relatively deserted. My wife and I walked back and forth regularly at night and never feared for our safety. I wouldn't recommend a woman walk it alone. There are a fair number of "street people throughout all of downtown San Diego, but I never saw a problem with any of them - not even panhandling.

My personal pet peeve - It seems as though the more "upscale" the hotel the less amenities you provide. They had snacks in the room for astronomical prices. You had to pay for in room nternet. Someone said you're even charged for local phone calls. You can go to a Hampton Inn and get all of that for free, plus get a free breakfast too - all for a lower price. Go figure.

As you can see, when I'm on vacation, I'm a "no worries" kind of guy. Was it perfect? No. But I have stayed in much worse. Life is too short to sweat the small stuff. I would definitely stay here again. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

• Liked — Views and Customer Service
  • Disliked — Nothing really. Just minor irritants here and there
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
San Diego
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2008

I stayed here with points to check it out - it was ok. I did not like the flimsy vented wooden door separating the living room from the bedroom. If you want privacy from your kids, stay somewhere else. The location is typical for downtown San Diego - no parking and opens to a busy street. Everything is piled up, meaning restaurants and things are in the floors, the higher the nicer they are. Lounge is fancy and my kids ran amok there. No free breakfast or snacks except on club level.

There was a huge box of open snacks they charged you for when we got there - worse then the minibar because you didn't need a key. That box was buried in my closet during our stay - all you moms out there will know what I'm talking about.

Check-in was uneventful and door/wait/valet staff very helpful. Parking was outrageous as I recall and you basically had to valet to go anywhere. The room itself was decent but IMO a bit shabby I think they need an update. Overall, a decent choice for singles or couples downtown because of the location and the 2 rooms.

• Liked — Location was good, suites were decent
  • Disliked — Minibar food, lounge was not open to all, not family friendly
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
El Cerrito, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2008

Stayed here 2 nights for a work trip. This isn't the closest to the convention center, however if I were to go back for personal reasons I'd stay again.

The layout of the room makes it feel very spacious and the bathroom is huge with a sepearte shower stall and bath tub. The bedroom has doors which is nice if traveling with family and need privacy.

The staff is very friendly and room service was good. Everything you expect from a starwood hotel.
There are a lot of great hotels all within a few blocks, but again I'd go back.

Try The Fish Market for dinner. Excellent seafood.

• Liked — The room
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
usa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2008

I really couldn't believe this was under the Sheraton umbrella. Cleanliness was an issue. The first room I was given had berries rolling the floor and stains on both the couch and carpet. I asked for another room and the building manager first brought the cleaning staff into the room to inspect while I was still there. I didn't find that process professional, the staff was essentially reprimanded in front of guests-not good. The next room I was given seemed ok on the surface, carpet needs to be replaced but there were no glaring cleanliness issues so I settled in, to find when I pulled the bedding back something that looked like a large amount of dried tomato sauce on the bed skirt (and the floor and the wall). They couldn't move me, but changed the skirt and cleaned the floor the next day. It just didn't feel comfortable at all with that kind of filthiness going on. I wouldn't stay again.

• Stayed March 2008
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2008

My boyfriend and I were in town for the San Diego Rock & Roll Marathon the last weekend of May/first of June. The staff was incredibly accommodating - changed my room from one by the elevator to one with a corner window and great view, set up a very late checkout to ensure I would have time to come back and shower and clean up after the race, and very polite valet staff that never lingered "waiting for a tip." Actually, my boyfriend had to follow one of them back to the stand to hand him the tip. . .the gentlemen walked away too quickly after handing over the keys and putting the luggage in the car. The room was spectacular - the view was great, the bed was comfortable, and I enjoyed having a separate room with couch and tv apart from the bedroom. The location is great. I was able to walk to the starting line at Balboa Park and it is a short walk to the Gaslamp District. It is a very central location and I highly recommend booking here if you'll be in the downtown area.

• Liked — Awesome staff!
  • Disliked — Much like anywhere in the city, you are almost forced to valet park if you want easy access to your car
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
La Quinta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2008

My husband and I stayed there for one night only, and do not have anything bad to say about it (contrary to many other hotels we stayed at.) The room was specious and clean, bed was comfortable, and the view of Coronado Bridge and downtown was spectacular.
The stuff was very professional and friendly. We requested additional pillows and a sawing kit, both arrived immediately. The food we ordered from the room service was fresh and tasty. We stayed at the club level which seems to make a lot of sense – you get a room of the 26th or 27th floor, complimentary drink and breakfast.

• Liked — Pet friendly!
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Declan Suites San Diego? Share your experiences!