“Go elsewhere if you could afford it!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Declan Suites San Diego

Save Saved
You added Declan Suites San Diego to your Saves list
Declan Suites San Diego
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   701 A. Street, San Diego, CA 92101 (Formerly Sheraton Suites San Diego) (Downtown)   |
Hotel packages
Special Price
Stay More, Save More!
Ranked #185 of 269 hotels in San Diego
Santa Monica, California
“Go elsewhere if you could afford it!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

Staff are clueless on how to resolve room repairs, the house keeper stole my sports coat. If you forget something in your room just take it as a lost because their lost and found does not exist. Did not offer to change rooms after I reported 3 times of the sink regurgitating. Good luck with getting someone on the line whether it is the receptionist, housekeeping or the front desk. This hotel needs a major renovation. Hotel Is overpriced for the service they provide. Hotel needs a whole new staff you could tell its been ran by the same ol Joes who is comfortable and don’t care to make the hotel better. Keep your money and go elsewhere i f you are looking for a nice room, good customer service, And A lost and found with integrity. if standards don’t matter to you and you just want a quick night stay then this hotel is for you and this review do not pertain to you.. But if quality matters to you then i suggest you go elsewhere. I’m a Starwood gold member and I WOULD NEVER ATTEND THIS HOTEL AGAIN! I do not see the difference in being a Starwood member here. I would recommend the board that governs star status on Starwood hotels remove this hotel from the Starwood list. NOT A GOOD LOOK FOR STARWOOD OR SHERATON. REMOVE FROM INTERNATIONAL HOSPITALITY AND AA QUALITY STANDARDS FOR HOTELS.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
SheratonSuitesSD, General Manager at Declan Suites San Diego, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
As an SPG Gold member, thank you for your review. We deeply regret that our staff was unable to locate your misplaced item, as we understand how devastating it can be to lose a personal belonging during a stay. We’d like you to know that we take all claims of this nature very seriously. After learning of your experience, we immediately notified our housekeeping supervisor to search the lost & found, your guest room and interview the housekeeper assigned to clean your room. Unfortunately, there was no record, evidence or recollection of your belonging. We urge you to contact us directly if your situation has not been resolved by the time of this posting. Thank you.

660 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
  • Turkish first
Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

Great hotel to stay at when you are going to the downtown activities. Close to Petco Park and the Gaslamp District, it is a great walking city so you do not need a taxi. The staff at the hotel was very firendly and gracious. The only issue is that it is not a real kid (3 year old) friendly hotel, but most downtown hotels are not. Overall would return again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
SheratonSuitesSD, General Manager at Declan Suites San Diego, responded to this review, June 11, 2013
Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your recent visit with us. We're pleased that our location worked out well and that you enjoyed the attractions located just steps away. We strive to ensure that each our guests have an enjoyable experience and we appreciate your feedback. Thank you.
Colorado Springs, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

Although the service was awesome like the majority of Sheraton hotels, the condition of the room and hotel definitely were not. Got a pretty good deal on the room through hotels.com but all the additional costs associated with staying at a downtown location (parking, Internet access, breakfast) wiped out all the savings. We liked that our son had a separate sleeping area but the sleeper couch mattress was paper thin and he ended up sleeping on the couch. The location, although convenient to many downtown attractions, was sketchy and many of the local stores and fast food joints were filled with homeless people. The rooms were dated and the condition was in need of an update. I would not stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
SheratonSuitesSD, General Manager at Declan Suites San Diego, responded to this review, June 4, 2013
Feedback from our guests is always highly valued because it gives us the chance to see where there might be room for improvement. Thank you for taking the time to share your detailed and honest feedback regarding your recent visit with us. We truly regret if you experienced any inconveniences during your time spent with us. We have taken note of your concerns and can assure you that your review will be taken into consideration. Thank you for directing us to the specific areas that require our immediate attention. A good night's rest is essential and we truly regret any inconveniences you may have experienced with our pull out sofa.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013 via mobile

I requested an upgrade as suggested in an email I received from Sheraton to the Pure room, a hypo allergenicsuite and iI would be contacted within 48 hours. When I hadn't been, I asked the desk clerk the status of my request. He didn't really seem to understand what I was talking about, but a man named Umti stepped in, listened to me and upgraded me for free on the spot.
The room was average size and had a few minor blips. The bathroom door was off track and there microwave was dirty. There was no coffee in the room and when I walked down to request some, there security guard gave me 2 packs of loose coffee, but the machine was a pod machine.
Fitness room, pool and hot tub were all useful, but small. TV in the bedroom was old.
If not for the free upgrade, I might have complained more to get a few bucks back, but it was a good stay.
Location was within walking distance to PetCo Park, so that's a great reason to stay here.

• Stayed May 2013
Thank you for sharing your recent experience with us. Our sincere apologies for any inconveniences you experienced with your upgrade. We truly appreciate that you've shared your impressions with us and deeply regret if your suite was not at its best upon your arrival. Please rest assured that the head of our housekeeping department will be reading over your review ands we'd like to thank you once again for sharing your review and addressing these concerns with us.
Tucson, Arizona
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

When I booked this hotel, I was so excited because I thought it was going to be an exceptional hotel. Before I arrived at the Sheraton, a female staff member (I wish I got her name) was very nice and called to inform me that she had already checked me into the hotel since I had informed the hotel previously that I was going to be late for check-in. I was so impressed with this staff member and was even more excited about my stay at the Sheraton. Well, that is about the only positive comment I have to make about this hotel. When we arrived at the Sheraton, we went to the front of the hotel where the valet is because we didn’t see the entrance to the parking garage. One valet gentleman was very helpful and explained fully to my husband where to go while the other valet, who opened my door expecting me to get out, slammed my car door once he realized that we weren’t going to be using the valet. Once we finally got into the parking garage (the parking spaces are cramped for $26 a day) it was just as the female staff member had explained to me; I was already checked in and just had to swipe my card and we were set. For whatever reason, we saw a lot of other guests being escorted to their room which kind of made my family and I feel like "lower class" but oh well, we just figured they paid more money or something…. so no big deal. Once we got to the room, I was not impressed. It was clean, but nothing great. Also, an important detail that anyone should know before staying at the Sheraton.... the coffee is equivalent to gold! We had to go to the front desk to get more coffee, sugar and cream because they only stocked one coffee pod, a couple of sugars and a couple of creams. We had 3 adults in our room so one coffee pod was not going to cut it. The bathroom door lock was broken and there was no cooler in our room. The little sticker by the cooler said to call the front desk if we needed a fridge. My husband called the front desk (since the little sticker said to :) and asked for a fridge which he was told that they would send one right up. We waited awhile however no one ever came. The next day, we asked again for a fridge (since we had drinks that would taste better if they were cold) and we were again told that we would have one shortly. No one ever brought us a fridge :(. I did not sleep well at all during my stay. The beds are really comfortable however the walls are thin as paper and we could hear everything from the crazy bachelorette party girls down the hall (that lasted till 3am) to just the daily and nightly in and out traffic such as doors opening and closing, guest conversations and toilets being flushed. My husband also witnessed one of the female staff members (not the same one that was mentioned above) at the front desk who slammed a phone down while putting a customer on hold because she was apparently annoyed and told another staff member that she did not know what the lady on the phone was talking about and that she didn’t tell her that she had a voucher. I don’t really know that specifics of the situation but I’m sure if my husband stayed around the lobby a little more, he would have had the full scoop about lady who thought she had a voucher :). It was very inappropriate to act this way in front of other guests (save the hissy fits for when you are not in front of customers). When it was time to check out (which I checked out at 9am instead of noon because I couldn’t stand it there another minute) I voiced some of my concerns to the gentleman at the front desk and he had no idea what to say or do other than to tell me that they must have run out of refrigerators which I then explained to him that a note or phone call would have been appreciated rather than to be ignored. So since the gentleman at the front desk didn’t know what to say or do, I thought I would share my concerns on the hotel’s web page and hopefully someone who is reading this does know what to say or do to compensate me for my terrible experience. So to conclude my lengthy review (thanks to those who had the patience to read through it :) , I would never stay at this hotel again (even if it were for free) and I would never recommend this hotel to my family or friends because I would hope for them to have a pleasant stay in San Diego and I do not believe that they would enjoy their stay at the Sheraton since I did not enjoy mine.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
On behalf of our entire staff, I'd like to take this opportunity to extend my sincere apologies for the inconveniences you experienced. After reading through your review, I can understand any frustrations that you must have felt and I'd like to assure you that your comments are being passed along to the appropriate departments. We deeply regret any inconveniences that you experienced, especially regarding our refrigerators. This is not reflective of the high standards of customer service that we've set for our property and we're deeply saddened to learn that we may have missed the opportunity to welcome you and your husband back again. We hope that you'll someday allow us another opportunity to welcome you back and provide you with the five-star stay you both deserve. Thank you.
Los Angeles
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

When I think of a hotel suite, I think of a pretty spacious room (maybe I got used to Embassy Suites). In this case, the Sheraton Suites weren't that spacious. Maybe it was the particular room we had, but it felt pretty cramped - I didn't see a point dividing up the room. The room is in dire need of being updated - it certainly feels 'old' when you walk in. The TV in the bedroom is old school - should be updated to a flat panel. What I thought was funny was that the room came with a mini fridge, yet there's a sign that you shouldn't use it to store perishable items in there. Umm, what's the purpose of the fridge, then?

The front desk staff was very friendly. The gym has good cardio equipment, though the gym itself is on the small side.

I used points for the room so I can't really comment on whether the value for a regular rate would be worth staying here, esp. if there are so many other options nearby.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your valuable comments and for giving us the opportunity to get a clear perspective of your time here. For any inconveniences that you may have encountered with your suite, we deeply apologize. We do regret if our accommodations did not exceed your expectations and we hope we'll have another chance to provide the ideal accommodations for a future visit.
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

The Sheraton's I have stayed at in the past always had excellent locations, free bfast and good business centers and a great price. The rooms, always crisp and fresh. They make excellent biz hotel stays. For personal trips, I tend to book "higher end" hotels. I needed a room for two adults and two kids for a trip and didn't want to stay on a budget .
This Sheraton was a pleasant surprise. Well appointed suites with a bedroom area that can be closed off by French doors. Large bathroom with separate shower, and a pullout sofa sleeper .
We stayed on the PURE room level which was fantastic. No feather pillows/comforters..and an air purifier. Very comfortable. Free bfast buffet too, and centrally located in downtown near gas lamp district. Great value

Room Tip: Book the PURE room level for a great nights rest.