While the staff was friendly and the rooms were spacious, this was one of the hotel stays where I was quite disappointed. The location is odd, as it's on top of a small hill away from the core area of the downtown area. The downtown area is quite small, so it was an easy 10 minute walk to the downtown area, but it is far off enough that you were walking alone on the streets by yourself much of the time.
The entire experience of this hotel is awkward. From the location to the arrival to the lobby on the 12th floor. I was overwhelmed by the significant noise and busy nature of the lobby. I arrived at about 2:30pm for a check-in and there was a long line, so it took quite a while for me to get a room as a SPG Platinum. While the rooms are big, the shape of the bedroom is awkward, so I couldn't close the door without moving the bed. The rooms desperately needs an update, as it feels like one of the older Sheraton properties from the 1980s. Not that it matters that much to me, but the TV in the room was one of those large old tube TV.
The "Club Lounge" was a joke, as it was on the lobby floor and is the size of a small conference room. There was no staff at the lounge and it was one of the most unwelcoming spaces I've been in for quite some time. It is attached to the restaurant. Given that there is no food at the lounge, guests were given free breakfast at the restaurant, which was a nice touch; however, the restaurant service was completely lacking. It took 15 minutes for me to get a table while the restaurant was not all that full. The chair was so dirty that I did not want to sit on it and had to take another chair from another table. The breakfast buffet was barely edible and I didn't get my coffee until I was able to track down a staff member about 20 minutes into my meal. I would've been very unhappy if I had to pay for this breakfast.
There are much better hotels in San Diego - I will not be coming back.
- Also Known As:
- Sheraton Suites San Diego Hotel San Diego
- Sheraton Suites San Diego Hotel
- Sheraton Hotel San Diego
- Sheraton San Diego
- Sheraton Suites San Diego
- San Diego Sheraton
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Declan Suites San Diego offers a warm welcome on your next visit to San Diego. Our all-suite downtown San Diego hotel features all two room suites with some of the largest hotel rooms in the area. All of the two room suites feature a separate living area and pull out sofa. Our San Diego hotel is built around the San Diego Symphony Hall and is within walking distance to the Gaslamp Quarter, known for 16 blocks of amazing dining, shopping and entertainment. The Declan Suites San Diego is located minutes from the world-famous San Diego Zoo, Little Italy, Old Town, Petco Park and Sea World. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Expedia, Booking.com, Priceline, Tingo, BookIt.com, EasyToBook, getaroom.com, Otel, Hotels.com, Venere, Agoda and Fareportal so you can book your Declan Suites San Diego reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.