“Day Hotel - after Celebrity Cruise” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Declan Suites San Diego

You added Declan Suites San Diego to your Saves list
Declan Suites San Diego
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   701 A. Street, San Diego, CA 92101 (Formerly Sheraton Suites San Diego) (Downtown)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #186 of 270 Hotels in San Diego
uk
“Day Hotel - after Celebrity Cruise”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

We stayed here for one day after our Celebrity Christmas and New Year Cruise.
We eventually arrived from the port, With only two lifts and around 60 of us in total it took time to get to reception on the 12 floor it was quite slow getting checked in. To be fair I would imagine that if just a couple tried to check in it would have been ok
We had an excellent suite and it would have been nice to have stayed longer.
Not a bad location we walked back about a mile to the cruise terminal (to the horror of reception staff - walking seemed a bad word to them!). It was a beutifull day so we atrolled along past the aircraft carrier and then had lunch in a close by fish restaurant.
I cant fault the hotel but Celebrity need to look at the logistics of getting us to the airport. lthough there were 60 of us all on the same flight we had to individually phone to book transport - which turned out to be a series of vans - sounds ok but there was not enough room for all of the luggage which resulted in a bad tempered driver who had to pack some in the back and some on our laps.
The last straw was the hotel trying to charge for what was a 0800 free call. I think most people refused to pay and the reception staff became very off hand
But overall a good hotel.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
SheratonSuitesSD, General Manager at Declan Suites San Diego, responded to this review, February 1, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience after your cruise. We're delighted that you were able to enjoy beautiful weather and take a nice stroll around the area. We regret if any inconveniences or difficulties impacted your experience and hope they were minimal during your stay. Thank you for your review and we hope we get the opportunity to welcome you back to enjoy an extended stay with us here at the Sheraton Suites San Diego at Symphony Hall.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
  • Turkish first
Costa Mesa, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

I booked this hotel via Priceline - looking for a decent hotel around downtown where I dont have to pay an extra $20 for parking. The Sheraton came up with 3 1/2 stars, so my expectations were not high. When you enter the hotel, you have to take the elevator up to the 12th floor to get to the reception ( there is plenty of street parking around the hotel - just make sure you dont park there during the days of street cleaning). But Oh Boy, this hotel was awesome. My room was at the 24th floor witha an amazing view towards the Balboa Park and the airport and it was a suite with living room, full bath with shower and tub and a king size bed. I felt home !!!!!

Room Tip: Safe your money for the breakfast ($20) and eat at a local coffee shop. Because the hotel starts ac...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Learning that you felt right home is such a wonderful compliment to us! We are delighted to have been able to exceed your expectations and truly appreciate you sharing your experience. Thank you for providing such a detailed review regarding your suite accommodations and we hope we get the pleasure to welcome you back to the Sheraton Suites San Diego at Symphony Hall.
Birmingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for the day after our Panama Canal cruise with Celebrity. Disembarkation was horrendous, and we ended up paying for a taxi ($13) to get us to the hotel as we were told the transfer wouldn’t be there for two hours. In the end, our taxi pulled up behind the transfer coach for which we’d prepaid – and we waited for a taxi for 30 minutes... As I said, horrendous.

The hotel lobby is on the 12th floor, which means you always need to take two lifts, unless you’re in a room on the lobby floor. For some reason, we didn’t get a preferred guest room, so had a bog standard suite, which comprised of a small living room with desk, sofa, tv, microwave and coffee making facilities. The bedroom was big enough, but I can see that Americans may think it was quite small. Then there was the bathroom – the sliding door took some working out to close!

When trying to check in for our flight online, the computers weren’t working properly, and when we asked someone at reception to help, he was quite rude, asking “what’s wrong with them”? If we’d have known, we wouldn’t have asked. He reset them, but didn’t wait to see that everything was working and was quite annoyed when we needed more help. Not a great experience.

There are two entrances, one through the concert hall/office area (you still need to come out at the 12th floor, then walk through the bar/restaurant area to get to the lobby), or the one at the front, where the cars pull up. Going through the concert hall saves you a bit of a walk up a hill and comes out around 4th Avenue in the Gaslamp district (5th Avenue is nicer and just a block away).

As we were only there for a few hours, we simply had a look around the Gaslamp area, with its historic buildings dating back to the late 1890s, which is quite funny for Europeans, but let’s not forget that it’s on the other side of the US, so history started much later! We had time for some lunch (finding a lovely Thai restaurant on 4th Avenue) and a mooch around. Some other cruise passengers found time to visit the USS Midway, just a short taxi ride away, near to the cruise terminal – apparently the zoo is well worth a visit, too, if you have the time.

San Diego is a sprawling metropolis, so the hotel is good for the Gaslamp area, but on the way to the airport, we passed through Little Italy, which looked worth a visit, but is not in walking distance.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
SheratonSuitesSD, General Manager at Declan Suites San Diego, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
Thank you for sharing your perspective with us though we deeply regret that your experience did not match the high standards we strive to achieve. We are fully committed to ensuring that our guests receive exceptional customer service in all areas and can assure you that your review is being shared with the appropriate departments. Feedback from our guests is an essential part of improving our services so we truly appreciate you taking the time to share your impressions. The next time you are in the San Diego area, we hope that we’ll someday get the opportunity to welcome you back again.
Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

I had come to have high expectations of Sheraton hotels through the years, even though I have yet to stay at a Sheraton Suites. The first impression from SS SD was that it had seen better days. The carpet showed a fair bit of wear, as we're the wallpaper. Service was decent, given the crowd from a major convention.

Breakfast was a buffet with a limited spread, not that I minded as this was a business trip. The fitness center was just a small room with limited equipment unfortunately. But a small heated pool made up for it.

Room Tip: Ask for club rooms.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
SheratonSuitesSD, General Manager at Declan Suites San Diego, responded to this review, January 16, 2013
Though we are truly grateful for your feedback, It’s disappointing to learn that you felt we did not live up to the high standards of the Sheraton brand. We regret if our appearance was not in it’s best condition during your visit and appreciate you directing us to the specific areas that may require our attention. We can assure you that your feedback will be shared with the appropriate departments and hope we’ll get the opportunity to welcome you back again. Thank you.
Newport, Rhode Island, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

My stay wasn't for leisure- business travel was my reason- so perhaps my points of contention seem petty; I would offer that anyone of this mindset, however, hasn't had to play road-warrior for extended periods, and likely has little appreciation for amenities needed to conduct business on the road.

Through my week at the Sheraton, the staff was very courteous and always helpful- perhaps more of a rarity these days than you might think- but never caused me any problems in my stay. The location and parking can potentially both present their own unique challenges, but these were not a problem for me. Great breakfasts, bar, and all the common amenities.

My issue comes into play in the form of their internet, TV, and room maintenance services. In regards to their internet/TV services- I simply have to be candid that they may be the worst I've ever had to tolerate. The internet was unreliable to an amazing extreme; I was the only one from my group that could get any kind of connection at all, and even then it was completely unreliable. Speeds throttle from 0kb/s through 400kb/s and seem to constantly be fighting for bandwidth. Simply put- this is a necessity for business, as I have no way to do any work or phone-home to the office with such a completely unreliable internet connection. I could overlook this if not for the fact that there is a $11+ bill per day of internet use. Totally unacceptable. Far as I'm concerned, that whole situation boarders on fraud.

Beyond this, the room was generally very nice, with a jarring exception here or there. For example, the door to the fridge in my room was a constant annoyance; the mini-fridge was simply too big for the cabinet it was housed in, and required forcing and maneuvering to guide the door (just inches too large) by the lip of the cabinet door that it was just slightly too big for.

I realize these seem petty, but for someone traveling on business you simply don't want to deal with these issues. I suppose I really could overlook everything else if not for the loss of productivity the crippled internet access provided. Overpriced and almost totally useless- the latter fact is one you don't learn until you come to whatever terms with the first. Fix your network or warn your guests. Anything else is lying to them.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Whether staying with us for business or pleasure, we always want to ensure that our guests’ time with us exceeds their expectations at every turn. We regret to learn that your stay was not at that level. We sincerely apologize for any inconveniences with our Internet service and can assure you that your review is being passed along to the appropriate departments. We understand just how essential these services are for not only our business travelers but for all of our valued guests. Thank you for addressing your concerns with us and please rest assured that the necessary improvements will be made.
Hamilton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

I recently stayed at this hotel. it is a bit different because the lobby is on the 12th floor. all rooms are mini suites (at least) so you have space to spread out. The bathrooms looked a bit tired and could be refreshed and the restaurant / lounge was relaxing. In terms of location it is a bit off the beaten path so you will do a bit of walking but I found the area safe and did not feel uncomfortable. as a SPG platinum member for years i would rate this starwood hotel just slightly above most SPG hotels in urban areas. The staff were very friendly.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
As a SPG Platinum member, we greatly appreciate your high rating. Since feedback from our guests is an essential part of improving our services, we are truly grateful that you’ve shared your comments regarding our bathrooms. We’ll certainly take your review into consideration as we make the necessary improvements for our future guests. Thank you for choosing the Sheraton Suites San Diego at Symphony Hall and we hope to welcome you back again.
Seattle, WA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

I only stayed here for one night and my stay was perfectly fine, but nothing exceptional. The rooms are all suites, but the door to the bedroom is a double French door that barely clears the end of the bed which is fine if you're not sharing with others.

The bathroom area has multiple doors and a relatively small shower. The tub is separate and was on the larger side. There was a counter area with fridge underneath, but ours was broken/missing with a note to contact housekeeping if we needed one. Starbucks was the coffee in the room which I really enjoyed. The living room space was small and there was an awkward desk to the side of the couch / in front of the window. It would be difficult to use if you had extended work to do in the room.

The bed is the usual very comfy and great bedding that Starwood hotels have and the room had great views. The upkeep and decor is starting to show its age, but most things were in working order. Once during my stay the maid came in mid-day without knocking and I was laying on the bed so she didn't see me. She was bringing in robes, but didn't knock or announce herself and stumbled upon me - not great.

The front desk was very helpful with questions and late check-out. We didn't use the valet or parking, but did eat in the restaurant for breakfast. My rate included the buffet, and it was plentiful. I'm not sure what they charge, but made to order eggs and omelets and lots of choices is great if you have some bigger eaters.

We like walking to so walked to Balboa Park and the museum area as well as the Zoo, but it was probably 45min to a hour each way. We also walked to the Gas Lamp and it was 15 minutes. It is very convenient if you want to be near downtown, but not right in the middle of the noise and hub bub.

We happened to score a great rate so it was totally worth it, but I wouldn't pay a premium here for a longer stay.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
However long or short of a stay, we always appreciate it when a guest takes the time to share their valued feedback with us. Thank you for choosing to stay at the Sheraton Suites San Diego at Symphony Hall. It seems you were able to explore quite a bit during your overnight visit! For any inconveniences that you experienced with our housekeeping service, we sincerely apologize. We understand just how startling this must have been for you and we can assure you that your comments will be passed along to the head of our housekeeping department. Thank you for sharing such a detailed review and the next time you are in the area, we hope to welcome you back.

Been to Declan Suites San Diego? Share your experiences!