“Day hotel for cruise transfer” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Declan Suites San Diego

Save Saved
You added Declan Suites San Diego to your Saves list
Declan Suites San Diego
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   701 A. Street, San Diego, CA 92101 (Formerly Sheraton Suites San Diego) (Downtown)   |
Hotel packages
Special Price
Tripadvisor Exclusive!
Ranked #189 of 269 hotels in San Diego
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Day hotel for cruise transfer”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for the day after our Panama Canal cruise with Celebrity. Disembarkation was horrendous, and we ended up paying for a taxi ($13) to get us to the hotel as we were told the transfer wouldn’t be there for two hours. In the end, our taxi pulled up behind the transfer coach for which we’d prepaid – and we waited for a taxi for 30 minutes... As I said, horrendous.

The hotel lobby is on the 12th floor, which means you always need to take two lifts, unless you’re in a room on the lobby floor. For some reason, we didn’t get a preferred guest room, so had a bog standard suite, which comprised of a small living room with desk, sofa, tv, microwave and coffee making facilities. The bedroom was big enough, but I can see that Americans may think it was quite small. Then there was the bathroom – the sliding door took some working out to close!

When trying to check in for our flight online, the computers weren’t working properly, and when we asked someone at reception to help, he was quite rude, asking “what’s wrong with them”? If we’d have known, we wouldn’t have asked. He reset them, but didn’t wait to see that everything was working and was quite annoyed when we needed more help. Not a great experience.

There are two entrances, one through the concert hall/office area (you still need to come out at the 12th floor, then walk through the bar/restaurant area to get to the lobby), or the one at the front, where the cars pull up. Going through the concert hall saves you a bit of a walk up a hill and comes out around 4th Avenue in the Gaslamp district (5th Avenue is nicer and just a block away).

As we were only there for a few hours, we simply had a look around the Gaslamp area, with its historic buildings dating back to the late 1890s, which is quite funny for Europeans, but let’s not forget that it’s on the other side of the US, so history started much later! We had time for some lunch (finding a lovely Thai restaurant on 4th Avenue) and a mooch around. Some other cruise passengers found time to visit the USS Midway, just a short taxi ride away, near to the cruise terminal – apparently the zoo is well worth a visit, too, if you have the time.

San Diego is a sprawling metropolis, so the hotel is good for the Gaslamp area, but on the way to the airport, we passed through Little Italy, which looked worth a visit, but is not in walking distance.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
SheratonSuitesSD, General Manager at Declan Suites San Diego, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
Thank you for sharing your perspective with us though we deeply regret that your experience did not match the high standards we strive to achieve. We are fully committed to ensuring that our guests receive exceptional customer service in all areas and can assure you that your review is being shared with the appropriate departments. Feedback from our guests is an essential part of improving our services so we truly appreciate you taking the time to share your impressions. The next time you are in the San Diego area, we hope that we’ll someday get the opportunity to welcome you back again.

680 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
  • Turkish first
Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

I had come to have high expectations of Sheraton hotels through the years, even though I have yet to stay at a Sheraton Suites. The first impression from SS SD was that it had seen better days. The carpet showed a fair bit of wear, as we're the wallpaper. Service was decent, given the crowd from a major convention.

Breakfast was a buffet with a limited spread, not that I minded as this was a business trip. The fitness center was just a small room with limited equipment unfortunately. But a small heated pool made up for it.

Room Tip: Ask for club rooms.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
SheratonSuitesSD, General Manager at Declan Suites San Diego, responded to this review, January 16, 2013
Though we are truly grateful for your feedback, It’s disappointing to learn that you felt we did not live up to the high standards of the Sheraton brand. We regret if our appearance was not in it’s best condition during your visit and appreciate you directing us to the specific areas that may require our attention. We can assure you that your feedback will be shared with the appropriate departments and hope we’ll get the opportunity to welcome you back again. Thank you.
Newport, Rhode Island, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

My stay wasn't for leisure- business travel was my reason- so perhaps my points of contention seem petty; I would offer that anyone of this mindset, however, hasn't had to play road-warrior for extended periods, and likely has little appreciation for amenities needed to conduct business on the road.

Through my week at the Sheraton, the staff was very courteous and always helpful- perhaps more of a rarity these days than you might think- but never caused me any problems in my stay. The location and parking can potentially both present their own unique challenges, but these were not a problem for me. Great breakfasts, bar, and all the common amenities.

My issue comes into play in the form of their internet, TV, and room maintenance services. In regards to their internet/TV services- I simply have to be candid that they may be the worst I've ever had to tolerate. The internet was unreliable to an amazing extreme; I was the only one from my group that could get any kind of connection at all, and even then it was completely unreliable. Speeds throttle from 0kb/s through 400kb/s and seem to constantly be fighting for bandwidth. Simply put- this is a necessity for business, as I have no way to do any work or phone-home to the office with such a completely unreliable internet connection. I could overlook this if not for the fact that there is a $11+ bill per day of internet use. Totally unacceptable. Far as I'm concerned, that whole situation boarders on fraud.

Beyond this, the room was generally very nice, with a jarring exception here or there. For example, the door to the fridge in my room was a constant annoyance; the mini-fridge was simply too big for the cabinet it was housed in, and required forcing and maneuvering to guide the door (just inches too large) by the lip of the cabinet door that it was just slightly too big for.

I realize these seem petty, but for someone traveling on business you simply don't want to deal with these issues. I suppose I really could overlook everything else if not for the loss of productivity the crippled internet access provided. Overpriced and almost totally useless- the latter fact is one you don't learn until you come to whatever terms with the first. Fix your network or warn your guests. Anything else is lying to them.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Whether staying with us for business or pleasure, we always want to ensure that our guests’ time with us exceeds their expectations at every turn. We regret to learn that your stay was not at that level. We sincerely apologize for any inconveniences with our Internet service and can assure you that your review is being passed along to the appropriate departments. We understand just how essential these services are for not only our business travelers but for all of our valued guests. Thank you for addressing your concerns with us and please rest assured that the necessary improvements will be made.
Hamilton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

I recently stayed at this hotel. it is a bit different because the lobby is on the 12th floor. all rooms are mini suites (at least) so you have space to spread out. The bathrooms looked a bit tired and could be refreshed and the restaurant / lounge was relaxing. In terms of location it is a bit off the beaten path so you will do a bit of walking but I found the area safe and did not feel uncomfortable. as a SPG platinum member for years i would rate this starwood hotel just slightly above most SPG hotels in urban areas. The staff were very friendly.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
As a SPG Platinum member, we greatly appreciate your high rating. Since feedback from our guests is an essential part of improving our services, we are truly grateful that you’ve shared your comments regarding our bathrooms. We’ll certainly take your review into consideration as we make the necessary improvements for our future guests. Thank you for choosing the Sheraton Suites San Diego at Symphony Hall and we hope to welcome you back again.
Seattle, WA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

I only stayed here for one night and my stay was perfectly fine, but nothing exceptional. The rooms are all suites, but the door to the bedroom is a double French door that barely clears the end of the bed which is fine if you're not sharing with others.

The bathroom area has multiple doors and a relatively small shower. The tub is separate and was on the larger side. There was a counter area with fridge underneath, but ours was broken/missing with a note to contact housekeeping if we needed one. Starbucks was the coffee in the room which I really enjoyed. The living room space was small and there was an awkward desk to the side of the couch / in front of the window. It would be difficult to use if you had extended work to do in the room.

The bed is the usual very comfy and great bedding that Starwood hotels have and the room had great views. The upkeep and decor is starting to show its age, but most things were in working order. Once during my stay the maid came in mid-day without knocking and I was laying on the bed so she didn't see me. She was bringing in robes, but didn't knock or announce herself and stumbled upon me - not great.

The front desk was very helpful with questions and late check-out. We didn't use the valet or parking, but did eat in the restaurant for breakfast. My rate included the buffet, and it was plentiful. I'm not sure what they charge, but made to order eggs and omelets and lots of choices is great if you have some bigger eaters.

We like walking to so walked to Balboa Park and the museum area as well as the Zoo, but it was probably 45min to a hour each way. We also walked to the Gas Lamp and it was 15 minutes. It is very convenient if you want to be near downtown, but not right in the middle of the noise and hub bub.

We happened to score a great rate so it was totally worth it, but I wouldn't pay a premium here for a longer stay.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
However long or short of a stay, we always appreciate it when a guest takes the time to share their valued feedback with us. Thank you for choosing to stay at the Sheraton Suites San Diego at Symphony Hall. It seems you were able to explore quite a bit during your overnight visit! For any inconveniences that you experienced with our housekeeping service, we sincerely apologize. We understand just how startling this must have been for you and we can assure you that your comments will be passed along to the head of our housekeeping department. Thank you for sharing such a detailed review and the next time you are in the area, we hope to welcome you back.
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

I took my family to see John Williams and the San Diego Symphony in Dec 2012. You do not exit the building to get to the concert hall which makes this arrangement very convenient and safe at night. The valet parking staff was friendly and efficient. I knew the price from previous reviews so no surprises there.

You go up the elevator to the lobby and the front desk person was friendly and helped us with some directions I needed to get to a restaurant we wanted to try. Then, another elevator ride up to the room. Our room was a king bed separated from a sofa bed for my kids, aged 8 and 10. The room was dated but clean and the door covering the small fridge was broken. This had zero impact on us.

The girls wanted to get into the pool, which was indoors. It is very small (not large enough to swim meaningful laps for exercise. Probably more useful for a nice dip on a hot day, however. There is a small hot tub and a fitness room. Again, all the facilities are not amazingly fabulous but they were functional and we found everything quite clean and uncluttered. I think smaller kids would have a good time splashing in the pool.

To get to the concert hall, we went down the elevator to the lobby and then walked past the restaurant/bar area to another set of elevators to the ground floor. The lobby and box office area were decorated with a huge Christmas tree. Very well done.

One of the nicest parts of the trip was after the concert was done, we were all tired, and our comfy beds were just a couple elevator rides away! Awesome. I would stay here again should another concert lure us to drive south from the Inland Empire to San Diego.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
SheratonSuitesSD, General Manager at Declan Suites San Diego, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
After attending the show, it was our pleasure to comfortably accommodate you and your family. We’re honored that you chose to stay with us and greatly appreciate you providing a kind and detailed review for our future guests. While staying with us, we’re glad that you and your family had the opportunity to enjoy a few of our facilities and greatly appreciate your feedback regarding your experience. The next time you visit the area, it would be our pleasure to welcome you back to the Sheraton Suites San Diego at Symphony Hall. Thank you for your review.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

stayed here for a night and enjoyed the stay. checked in and the front desk upgraded me to the club floor thanks to spg. a separate living room with couches and desk gives the room a very homey feeling.

the self-parking is tricky though. hotel guests are required to park on the 11th floor. just getting to the 11th floor takes some effort since you have to drive up a narrow, winding corkscrew to get to the 6th floor. also, parking is $26 a day for self park and $30 for valet.

also got to enjoy the breakfast buffet and i must say, the make-your-own waffle station is amazing. you put the waffle batter onto the maker yourself and in 3 minutes, crispy, delicious goodness.

will recommend and stay here again.

Room Tip: request for the club floor if you are spg.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
As a SPG member, we’re truly grateful that you’ve taken a moment to let us know about your recent experience. From our breakfast options to our accommodations, it is our hope to provide each of our guests with a home-away-from-home atmosphere and we’re delighted that you enjoyed everything from our separate living room to our waffle station. It is never our intention for our valued guests to experience inconveniences during a stay and we truly regret any difficulties that you encountered with our parking. As you mentioned, valet parking is always an available option. Thank you for sharing your review and recommendation and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Sheraton Suites San Diego at Symphony Hall.

Been to Declan Suites San Diego? Share your experiences!