“Stayed In Worse, but Still Lackluster for Business” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Declan Suites San Diego

Save Saved
You added Declan Suites San Diego to your Saves list
Declan Suites San Diego
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   701 A. Street, San Diego, CA 92101 (Formerly Sheraton Suites San Diego) (Downtown)   |
Hotel packages
Special Price
Stay More, Save More!
Ranked #185 of 268 hotels in San Diego
Newport, Rhode Island, United States
“Stayed In Worse, but Still Lackluster for Business”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

My stay wasn't for leisure- business travel was my reason- so perhaps my points of contention seem petty; I would offer that anyone of this mindset, however, hasn't had to play road-warrior for extended periods, and likely has little appreciation for amenities needed to conduct business on the road.

Through my week at the Sheraton, the staff was very courteous and always helpful- perhaps more of a rarity these days than you might think- but never caused me any problems in my stay. The location and parking can potentially both present their own unique challenges, but these were not a problem for me. Great breakfasts, bar, and all the common amenities.

My issue comes into play in the form of their internet, TV, and room maintenance services. In regards to their internet/TV services- I simply have to be candid that they may be the worst I've ever had to tolerate. The internet was unreliable to an amazing extreme; I was the only one from my group that could get any kind of connection at all, and even then it was completely unreliable. Speeds throttle from 0kb/s through 400kb/s and seem to constantly be fighting for bandwidth. Simply put- this is a necessity for business, as I have no way to do any work or phone-home to the office with such a completely unreliable internet connection. I could overlook this if not for the fact that there is a $11+ bill per day of internet use. Totally unacceptable. Far as I'm concerned, that whole situation boarders on fraud.

Beyond this, the room was generally very nice, with a jarring exception here or there. For example, the door to the fridge in my room was a constant annoyance; the mini-fridge was simply too big for the cabinet it was housed in, and required forcing and maneuvering to guide the door (just inches too large) by the lip of the cabinet door that it was just slightly too big for.

I realize these seem petty, but for someone traveling on business you simply don't want to deal with these issues. I suppose I really could overlook everything else if not for the loss of productivity the crippled internet access provided. Overpriced and almost totally useless- the latter fact is one you don't learn until you come to whatever terms with the first. Fix your network or warn your guests. Anything else is lying to them.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
SheratonSuitesSD, General Manager at Declan Suites San Diego, responded to this review, January 16, 2013
Whether staying with us for business or pleasure, we always want to ensure that our guests’ time with us exceeds their expectations at every turn. We regret to learn that your stay was not at that level. We sincerely apologize for any inconveniences with our Internet service and can assure you that your review is being passed along to the appropriate departments. We understand just how essential these services are for not only our business travelers but for all of our valued guests. Thank you for addressing your concerns with us and please rest assured that the necessary improvements will be made.

677 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
  • Turkish first
Hamilton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

I recently stayed at this hotel. it is a bit different because the lobby is on the 12th floor. all rooms are mini suites (at least) so you have space to spread out. The bathrooms looked a bit tired and could be refreshed and the restaurant / lounge was relaxing. In terms of location it is a bit off the beaten path so you will do a bit of walking but I found the area safe and did not feel uncomfortable. as a SPG platinum member for years i would rate this starwood hotel just slightly above most SPG hotels in urban areas. The staff were very friendly.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
As a SPG Platinum member, we greatly appreciate your high rating. Since feedback from our guests is an essential part of improving our services, we are truly grateful that you’ve shared your comments regarding our bathrooms. We’ll certainly take your review into consideration as we make the necessary improvements for our future guests. Thank you for choosing the Sheraton Suites San Diego at Symphony Hall and we hope to welcome you back again.
Seattle, WA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

I only stayed here for one night and my stay was perfectly fine, but nothing exceptional. The rooms are all suites, but the door to the bedroom is a double French door that barely clears the end of the bed which is fine if you're not sharing with others.

The bathroom area has multiple doors and a relatively small shower. The tub is separate and was on the larger side. There was a counter area with fridge underneath, but ours was broken/missing with a note to contact housekeeping if we needed one. Starbucks was the coffee in the room which I really enjoyed. The living room space was small and there was an awkward desk to the side of the couch / in front of the window. It would be difficult to use if you had extended work to do in the room.

The bed is the usual very comfy and great bedding that Starwood hotels have and the room had great views. The upkeep and decor is starting to show its age, but most things were in working order. Once during my stay the maid came in mid-day without knocking and I was laying on the bed so she didn't see me. She was bringing in robes, but didn't knock or announce herself and stumbled upon me - not great.

The front desk was very helpful with questions and late check-out. We didn't use the valet or parking, but did eat in the restaurant for breakfast. My rate included the buffet, and it was plentiful. I'm not sure what they charge, but made to order eggs and omelets and lots of choices is great if you have some bigger eaters.

We like walking to so walked to Balboa Park and the museum area as well as the Zoo, but it was probably 45min to a hour each way. We also walked to the Gas Lamp and it was 15 minutes. It is very convenient if you want to be near downtown, but not right in the middle of the noise and hub bub.

We happened to score a great rate so it was totally worth it, but I wouldn't pay a premium here for a longer stay.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
However long or short of a stay, we always appreciate it when a guest takes the time to share their valued feedback with us. Thank you for choosing to stay at the Sheraton Suites San Diego at Symphony Hall. It seems you were able to explore quite a bit during your overnight visit! For any inconveniences that you experienced with our housekeeping service, we sincerely apologize. We understand just how startling this must have been for you and we can assure you that your comments will be passed along to the head of our housekeeping department. Thank you for sharing such a detailed review and the next time you are in the area, we hope to welcome you back.
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

I took my family to see John Williams and the San Diego Symphony in Dec 2012. You do not exit the building to get to the concert hall which makes this arrangement very convenient and safe at night. The valet parking staff was friendly and efficient. I knew the price from previous reviews so no surprises there.

You go up the elevator to the lobby and the front desk person was friendly and helped us with some directions I needed to get to a restaurant we wanted to try. Then, another elevator ride up to the room. Our room was a king bed separated from a sofa bed for my kids, aged 8 and 10. The room was dated but clean and the door covering the small fridge was broken. This had zero impact on us.

The girls wanted to get into the pool, which was indoors. It is very small (not large enough to swim meaningful laps for exercise. Probably more useful for a nice dip on a hot day, however. There is a small hot tub and a fitness room. Again, all the facilities are not amazingly fabulous but they were functional and we found everything quite clean and uncluttered. I think smaller kids would have a good time splashing in the pool.

To get to the concert hall, we went down the elevator to the lobby and then walked past the restaurant/bar area to another set of elevators to the ground floor. The lobby and box office area were decorated with a huge Christmas tree. Very well done.

One of the nicest parts of the trip was after the concert was done, we were all tired, and our comfy beds were just a couple elevator rides away! Awesome. I would stay here again should another concert lure us to drive south from the Inland Empire to San Diego.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
SheratonSuitesSD, General Manager at Declan Suites San Diego, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
After attending the show, it was our pleasure to comfortably accommodate you and your family. We’re honored that you chose to stay with us and greatly appreciate you providing a kind and detailed review for our future guests. While staying with us, we’re glad that you and your family had the opportunity to enjoy a few of our facilities and greatly appreciate your feedback regarding your experience. The next time you visit the area, it would be our pleasure to welcome you back to the Sheraton Suites San Diego at Symphony Hall. Thank you for your review.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

stayed here for a night and enjoyed the stay. checked in and the front desk upgraded me to the club floor thanks to spg. a separate living room with couches and desk gives the room a very homey feeling.

the self-parking is tricky though. hotel guests are required to park on the 11th floor. just getting to the 11th floor takes some effort since you have to drive up a narrow, winding corkscrew to get to the 6th floor. also, parking is $26 a day for self park and $30 for valet.

also got to enjoy the breakfast buffet and i must say, the make-your-own waffle station is amazing. you put the waffle batter onto the maker yourself and in 3 minutes, crispy, delicious goodness.

will recommend and stay here again.

Room Tip: request for the club floor if you are spg.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
As a SPG member, we’re truly grateful that you’ve taken a moment to let us know about your recent experience. From our breakfast options to our accommodations, it is our hope to provide each of our guests with a home-away-from-home atmosphere and we’re delighted that you enjoyed everything from our separate living room to our waffle station. It is never our intention for our valued guests to experience inconveniences during a stay and we truly regret any difficulties that you encountered with our parking. As you mentioned, valet parking is always an available option. Thank you for sharing your review and recommendation and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Sheraton Suites San Diego at Symphony Hall.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013 via mobile

We were attracted to the location of this hotel, just on the outskirts of the Gaslamp neighborhood in San Diego. There was easy access to many of the awesome things to do in one of our favorite cities. Coronado was a 10 minute drive, Balboa Park was within a mile. We weren't let down by any of this.

As a family of five, the two double beds and one couch bed seemed like they were perfect for all of us to sleep comfortably. The price was not ridiculous and we assumed this was a great value.

We were unimpressed with what we found upon our arrival. Stained carpets in the hall way. A broken toilet paper roll holder in the bathroom. Stains on the furniture within our room. Nothing that made the experience horrible, but definitely not what we had come to expect in a Sheraton, especially not on the Starwood Preferred Level.

After two days of mediocre service (housekeeping forgot to leave us coffee the first night, we had to ask for extra towels each of the first two days because apparently two towels is enough for a room that sleeps five people, etc) we had to call the front desk twice in the middle of the night on New Years Eve (3:00 AM and 3:30 AM) as a load of Neanderthals hooted and hollered and made noises one would expect to hear at a football game.

The front desk staff was courteous. The valets were great... But we are never staying here again.

• Stayed December 2012
SheratonSuitesSD, General Manager at Declan Suites San Diego, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
While we’re happy to learn that our location worked out so well for your stay, we deeply regret any inconveniences or noise disruptions that impacted your valued time with us. It’s disappointing that your suite was not at its best upon your arrival and we understand any frustrations at this time. Though your feedback is always welcome and appreciated, we regret that you felt we did not live up the high standards of the Sheraton brand and we hope you’ll allow us the opportunity to welcome you back to fully impress you in all areas. Thank you.
Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

I stayed at Sheraton Suites for 7 nights in December. From the first moment I got there I was welcomed by great staff. In fact all the staff I interacted with were extremely helpful and pleasant. I was given a room facing north (I think....got a little turned around in the city), but had a great view. Mountains in the distance and a lovely cityscape. Yes, because the airport is nearby, there are times when there are a lot of planes landing - but to be honest the noise was not an issue unless I opened the window.

The room was ideal. Basically a living room, a bed room and a large bathroom. The bed was incredibly comfortable and I'm not sure what the duvet/comforter they use but it was fantastically warm. I could have had a fridge in the room had I asked, but it turned out not to be necessary. There was a microwave and coffee maker with Starbucks teas and coffees. They also offer an option of skipping a day of housekeeping and in exchange you get either $5 off at the restaurant/bar or 500 membership points. What a fantastic, and environmentally friendly deal! Needless to say I had discounts on 2 delicious meals in the restaurant. The breakfast buffet is fantastic.

The hotel's location, with the exception of the ridiculous hill it's located on, is perfect for getting around. Take into consideration that the San Diego bus system is not the most reliable in terms of timing. Less than a 10 minute walk to downtown, 20-30 minutes of meandering and you can be at the harbor. The Zoo is a 2 minute walk to the bus stop, followed by a few minutes on the bus.

One thing that is a bit annoying is some of the extra charges. $11.95 per day for wifi. I know there are other hotels that have similar prices - but there are A LOT that don't charge for it (including Palomar hotels all the way down to Super 8). I realize free internet in the lobby is available...but not when you're in your pajamas.

San Diego is a great city and this is a great hotel. I will certainly stay again if I'm in San Diego.

Room Tip: Try to get one facing Ash street to get a view of the city and skyline as opposed to a view of the n...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
It seems like you truly made the most out of your stay! We are thrilled to learn that your experience with us has inspired a return visit and greatly appreciate you sharing a thorough review for our future guests. Though it’s disappointing that you didn’t find our complimentary Internet in our lobby to be a convenient alternative, we greatly appreciate the feedback that you’ve shared. We are glad that you enjoyed a cozy night’s rest in our Sheraton Sweet Sleeper Bed and look forward to welcoming you back to the Sheraton Suites San Diego at Symphony Hall. Thank you for your review.

Been to Declan Suites San Diego? Share your experiences!