“Good Location and Great Service” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Declan Suites San Diego

You added Declan Suites San Diego to your Saves list
Declan Suites San Diego
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   701 A. Street, San Diego, CA 92101 (Formerly Sheraton Suites San Diego) (Downtown)   |
Hotel packages
Special Price
Save 25% Now!
Ranked #188 of 271 Hotels in San Diego
Fairfax, Virginia
“Good Location and Great Service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

This was my first stay in a long time in San Diego and I love W hotels, but I saw a Groupon for this hotel and I was sold. I was treating my fiance to San Diego as he had never been there before and it so happened he would have had his birthday here as well. So with the Groupon I got a great rate and only had to pay for a couple of nights so all in all the price was right with the Groupon. The location of the hotel is very close to the airport which I prefer considering I'm coming from an area where most people have to spend 40 minutes without traffic to get to the airport. The hotel was conveniently in the downtown area of San Diego. I would recommend you rent a car for your stay in San Diego as this place is not user friendly and the short distance that you think it is when you look at Google Maps - simply is not the case. Anyways, more on the hotel itself...

**Hotel Review**
The hotel is for all purposes in the "Downtown" area but it is NOT in the HEART of the downtown area. You can if you so choose to walk those long blocks to the Gaslamp quarter. The hotel is situated in more of a business area and likewise doesn't have a lot of traffic coming in and out of the area. The hotel lobby is weirdly situated on the 12th floor and the receptionists and concierge are very welcoming. Check in was fast and without issue which I was very happy to see as I had read some other reviews about people have problems with Groupon deals. I was upgraded to a suite on the Club level (SPG Platinum member) which was nice seeing as it made my fiance happy to know he could watch TV in the other room without me complaining that it was disturbing my sleep. The rooms themselves could use some updating and I found that the TV in the main room was much newer than the one in the bedroom but no big deal for me. The shower was small but served its purpose. The beds are very comfortable just like all Starwood beds and we were given a complimentary gift which was very nice of them to do. Be aware that Valet parking is $30/night and this is not waved even if you are Platinum. Now, if you have the Groupon Valet Parking it's included so that could be quite useful. Parking around that area just..sucks. For those SPG Platinum members that are reading this the (upgraded) hot breakfast that they serve was very, very good. There were cereals, assorted bagels, yogurt, french toast, bacon, sausage, oven roasted potatoes, and lots of fruit. You are also able to have your omelet made ready to order you just have to ask your server. Breakfast is from 6-10. If you get breakfast after 8 expect a long wait for your omelet. Servers were friendly and efficient as well. I had read reports about the Club Lounge and how it wasn't stocked and from my experience while I was there the fridge was always well stocked with water and sodas so they must've made some sort of improvements which is good. We didn't go to the Spa, Pool, or order Room Service so no comments on that. I read some reviews of this location in downtown being a little dicey but seriously, (as a woman), I felt quite safe in this area despite some other reviews. Yes, there were homeless people on the street but no more than any other city. Now, would I wander around with no point in mind at 3am -- no. Just be smart and keep walking, they are just that, homeless and from what i could tell from what I saw -- not dangerous (there's a big difference between those words so don't confuse the two). If you can manage DC or NYC (or any other big city for that matter) you should be fine here. If you can't manage a big city and shiver at the sight of the homeless people you see -uhm...call a cab.

Like I said, we had a great stay here. I would stay here again depending on what I'm doing and if there was a Groupon :-). Keep in mind, this place is somewhat far from the bars, clubs, and restaurants in Gaslamp and having heels on doesn't make the walk any more enjoyable. So if you want to walk one block and be in Gaslamp ths isn't for you - but if you don't mind taking a cab and paying $6.40 then this is your hotel. I feel as this place works better for business but I wouldn't mind staying here on vacation.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
SheratonSuitesSD, General Manager at Declan Suites San Diego, responded to this review, December 6, 2012
We’d first like to thank you for sharing your detailed review. Feedback such as yours really helps us to get a clear perspective of our guest’s time with us. As a SPG Platinum member, we’re glad that you enjoyed a comfortable night’s rest in our Sheraton Sweet Sleeper Bed and appreciate that you’ve shared your impressions of our Club Lounge. It seems like you really made the most out of your visit with us! We’re honored that you chose to celebrate your fiance’s birthday and first trip to San Diego with us at the Sheraton Suites San Diego at Symphony Hall and we look forward to welcoming you back again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
  • Turkish first
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

This is my second stay to this hotel in about 4 years. The service is pretty first class and meets or exceeds the expectation set forth by Sheraton for this brand of hotel. Really the only issue here would be the updating of the guest rooms. I needed to call engineering while I was there for a basic piece of plumbing missing from the bathroom, but the response was quick and the front desk even followed up. The tv/cable system is a bit tired and worn, and the tv in the bedroom seemed like it was possessed by occassionally changing channels at will. Oh wel, I wasn't in SD to watch tv anyway.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
SheratonSuitesSD, General Manager at Declan Suites San Diego, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
As a return guest to the Sheraton Suites San Diego at Symphony Hall, we’re pleased to learn that we were able to once again live up to the high expectations of the Sheraton brand. Yet, we truly regret any inconveniences that you experienced throughout your stay. While we’re glad that our staff could quickly resolve the issue with your bathroom, this doesn’t reflect the high standards that we’ve set for our property. Thank you for bringing these concerns to our attention and as we make the necessary improvements, we hope to welcome you back again.
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

First thing I noticed is that the staff was very friendly and welcoming. I went there with my girlfriend to spend a weekend in San Diego. A friend spent the night the next day. Our room had a very nice view, we stayed in room 2005-- a corner room :). The room was one bedroom and living room. The TVs were old fashioned-- meaning that there were no flat screens. There was no fridge that I saw unless it was behind the locked cabinet with the missing key. They Charge for Wifi, but they do provide computer usage in the lobby for free (located on the 12th floor). Also, the hottub is pretty small, but it felt soooooo good!!! Check it out :) They have breakfast and a skybar (visit before setting off into the gaslamp quarters). If you are looking to valet (its 30 dollars a day with unlimited reparks --which is better than a garage where you would have to leave it there or repay, its good for travelers who drive) You can walk almost everywhere, if walking is not your thing there is the trolly three blocks away that can virtually take you anywhere! I was a good time (I noticed people in SD are pretty friendly, must be the air) I cannot wait to visit again. Hope this helps!

Room Tip: Get the green suite (no smoking, great view). Also ask for complimentary Breakfast!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
We appreciate you sharing your detailed review, as it seems you truly made the most out of your stay with us! As you mentioned, our guests can enjoy a brisk walk or quick trolley ride to the nearby attractions, which means a car certainly isn’t a requirement for exploring the area! Yet for those travelers who choose to drive, we appreciate that you’ve pointed out our valet service. Thank you for sharing such a helpful review regarding our services and location and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Sheraton Suites San Diego at Symphony Hall.
Lexington, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

So wonderful! We started our honeymoon in California and decided to go to San Diego first. We picked the Sheraton because it was located downtown. When we arrived, we told the receptionist it was our honeymoon and he immediately upgraded us to a beautiful top floor suite with a gorgeous view. He also included a complimentary bottle of champagne with room service. We really enjoyed our night with Sheraton. The only downside, the parking is through valet and cost $30 a night.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
SheratonSuitesSD, General Manager at Declan Suites San Diego, responded to this review, November 21, 2012
How wonderful! We're truly honored that you chose to celebrate your special occasion at the Sheraton Suites San Diego at Symphony Hall and would like to wish you both a very Happy Honeymoon. We're delighted that our staff could help make your visit with us even more special with a complimentary bottle of champagne and appreciate that you've relived your experience with us. For any inconveniences that you experienced with our parking, we truly apologize but do find that our rates are comparable to the area. Thank you for sharing and no matter the occasion, we hope to welcome you both back again soon.
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

The set up of the hotel is a little random but no problem with it.

They have valet service for around $30.

We had a discounted rate and were surprised to find a very large suite. The bed was very comfortable and room was clean. A bit dated decor but this often happens and it didn't disturb our stay or sleep.

Location was central, about 5-10 mins walk from gaslamp quarter. Room was quiet (we were on 15th floor), no street/traffic noise.

We didn't eat at the hotel or use pool facilities.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
We are delighted to have been able to exceed your expectations upon arrival and appreciate that you chose the Sheraton Suites San Diego at Symphony Hall for your stay. Thank you for sharing your experience with us, as we're glad to learn that you enjoyed such a comfortable and peaceful stay in our accommodations, and we hope we get the pleasure to welcome you back soon.
Santa Ana, California, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

The front desk was very friendly and welcoming, the rooms were very nice

However, the bed consisted of two twin frames which made the sleep very uncomfortable. Second, they charged us for parking overnight. I thought that we would be offered complimentary parking since we did pay for the hotel. Finally, they did not even offer free internet. That was very upsetting.

Room Tip: Inspect the bed before sleeping on it!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for sharing your review with us. Since a good night's sleep is essential, we can understand any frustrations that you must have felt and do encourage our guests to alert management with any concerns regarding their accommodations. While we regret if our charges were not clear, our website is a wonderful resource for gaining information pertaining to our parking and Internet charge. Keep in mind that we do offer complimentary wireless Internet in our lobby. We greatly appreciate your kind comments regarding our front desk staff and hope that you'll allow us the opportunity to welcome you back to the Sheraton Suites San Diego at Symphony Hall.
Brooklyn, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

I really like the location of the hotel. There are a couple of areas I think could be improved, however. The first is free wireless internet in guest rooms. It's hard to believe in 2012 you are still asking people to pay. Most other (cheaper) hotels I've stayed at recently offer this. Also there is some inconsistency with housekeeping. This is my second stay in a few months time and both time these things have happened. Tea is not always restocked. Sometimes when I hang up my towel (to signal I want to reuse it) it is replaced and sometimes it isn't. I'm trying to help conserve...there isn't always a "skip housekeeping and get a $5 coupon" (sorry I don't know what it's called) in the room. If it is there and I can find it I will gladly participate to save uneccesary waste of time and resources. Just asking for a little consistency and free wireless internet in rooms.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
We greatly appreciate that you've shared your feedback with us and can assure you that the inconsistency that you experienced with our housekeeping department will be immediately addressed. As a return guest to the Sheraton Suites San Diego at Symphony Hall, we are truly grateful that you are willing to participate in our Make a Green Choice program. We greatly appreciate your efforts to conserve energy, water and other resources that we use and we'll be certain to make this offer better available to our guests. For any inconveniences that you experienced, we truly apologize. Please keep in mind that complimentary wireless Internet is always available in our lobby lounge. Thank you for sharing your review and we hope that we get the opportunity to welcome you back again.

Been to Declan Suites San Diego? Share your experiences!