“Has potential to be a good hotel” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Sheraton Mission Valley San Diego Hotel

You added Sheraton Mission Valley San Diego Hotel to your Saves list
Sheraton Mission Valley San Diego Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1433 Camino Del Rio South, San Diego, CA 92108 (Mission Valley / Hotel Circle)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #127 of 271 Hotels in San Diego
Downers Grove, Illinois
“Has potential to be a good hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2014

This was my first Sheraton experience which did not meet my expectations. I usually stay at Hilton chain hotels and I never have had a bad experience. I expected more from the Sheraton. First of all, our rooms were not ready upon check so my group had to be split onto different floors. We had the issue of the fire alarm going off when taking a shower which was annoying. Hotel pool claimed to be heated but was cold. The jacuzzi did not work properly and it was filthy. Room service was inconsistent. Once, they removed our bath mat and they only gave us 1 extra shampoo even though we used it daily for 5 nights. Gym was okay and breakfast was delicious but expensive. Overall, the workers were very nice but they seemed slow and could not do much.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Sheraton M, General Manager at Sheraton Mission Valley San Diego Hotel, responded to this review, August 10, 2014
Merenkova,

Thank you for your review and recent stay at the Sheraton Mission Valley San Diego Hotel. Your comments will be communicated to the appropriate leadership, as these complications are not the norm for our hotel. It is disheartening to read you felt you received lack-luster service and for that we apologize. We take pride in our ability to provide excellent customer service and it seems as though your needs were not completely met. Thank you again for your review and we are hopeful for another chance to host you during future travels to San Diego.

Dan Stenz

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
phoenix
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2014

619-260-0111
This will be my second attempt to write my review, my first one was not published for reasons you can read below.
First review was written on my 2 day of a 4 day stay.
First day
Room appeared to be clean, in room safe didn't work. We went to the beach came back and my daughter took a shower, when she opened the door the smoke alarm went off. I called the front desk and they asked if someone had showered that the steam from the shower sets the alarm off. Wow, they gave us a room that has issues and they KNEW about it. Nice young man came up to fix the safe, they completely didn't understand that I didn't lock myself out that it wouldn't set at all. He couldn't fix it. But would have maintained come the next day and fix it. The next day I got my daughters up to take them to Comic Con (who the room was secured thur) and of course the smoke detector goes off all 3 times we use the shower. We left the room around 11. Came back around 3 and our room was not clean, safe still didn't work. Called the front desk and they were sending someone up to fix safe...again. Maid knocked on the door told her we would be leaving in a few minutes but she didn't understand because she spoke NO ENGLISH. Called the front desk and they said they would relay the message. We got back later that night and I called the front desk about the safe and smoke detector. Nice lady came up and determined the safe needed a battery, again they completely didn't understand that I didn't lock myself out that it wouldn't accept the final digit to lock it. Discussed the smoke detector and I explained it was unacceptable that we had to endure the noise each time someone took a shower. I suggested we bag it, she sent up ice bags and I taped off the alarm facing the bathroom door. It was fixed.
Next day, left around 11:30 for Comic Con, got back at 5:03, room was not clean but safe was working and new smoke detector. I called down to the front desk and they said they would have it cleaned. We left to go back to Con came home around 8 and the room was clean. Later that night I tried to log onto the internet. It asked for my room number and notified me I would be charged $9.95 per day. After I got logged on I noticed the network was not secure. Called the front desk and got some smart aleck man who tried to treat me like a moron and said I didn't know what I was doing. (a) anytime they ask for a room number its for a reason (b) I took a screen print of the page that shows the network was unsecured. I thought I had signed into to phantom network and my information would be compromised. All he wanted to do was let me know how stupid I was. We didn't use the internet, my husband was unable to work since his information would have been compromised. Good news, we were not charged.
The last day was okay. But I would NOT recommend this hotel. I realize Comic Con is a big deal but it comes around once a year like Christmas and I would think they would plan for this. But reading the comments from others I see Comic Con is not the reason for their issues. Pillows are horrible, beds are hard, mold in the bathroom other that than, Motel 6 might do you better.

What a guest needs to think about is they put you in a 14 story hotel with faulty smoke alarms. 14 stories and they knew they needed to be replaced. Small consolation if an emergency had occurred

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Sheraton M, General Manager at Sheraton Mission Valley San Diego Hotel, responded to this review, August 22, 2014
debbiedrury,
Thank you again for your feedback, it is very much appreciated. I do understand that everything in the aformentioned review has been resolved and there has been communication regarding these issues. If there is anything else you may need, please feel free to reach out to me.

Sacramento, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014 via mobile

The price seemed high and did not include parking, other than that very nice! Way better than the more pricier hotel our fams stayed in that was under full construction not light remodeling with bugs everywhere!

• Stayed July 2014
Sheraton M, General Manager at Sheraton Mission Valley San Diego Hotel, responded to this review, August 21, 2014
Khanland,

Thank you for your review and staying at the Sheraton Mission Valley San Diego Hotel. I am very happy to see that you enjoyed your stay with us and had a much better experience. It is unfortunate to read your previous hotel had a bug issue and was under full construction. When you come back to visit San Diego, please feel free to reach out to me and I will personally help make your reservation arrangements.

Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

This is an older hotel, but very nicely appointed. Room was on the small side, and the bathroom is very small, but functional. Everything was clean (linens have a few stains). Good location at one end of Hotel Circle. For SPGs, there is an evening snack service and breakfast each morning. The evening snacks include one hot dish (such as fried zucchini) and one cold dish- vegetables with ranch dip.

This is a "green" hotel, so you earn $5 reward or 500 points for foregoing maid service during your stay (except for the last night of course). The hotel was very quiet inside at night. Just a few people shutting doors loudly or talking in the hallway. That is fine. What isn't fine is the noise level emanating from the pool/bar area outside. I had the misfortune of staying in a room overlooking the pool. People were still yelling at each other after the pool closed at 10 and after the bar closed at 11. On the first night, we called the front desk around 10:20 to complain about the noise. We were told that the pool had closed at 10 and the bar would close at 11. We informed the front desk that people were still swimming, and asked that security make sure that everyone go inside the hotel at 11 when the bar closed for the night.

After 3 calls, security finally showed up at 11:48 pm and told the guests (who were so many sheets to wind that they couldn't hear each other without yelling) to leave. They left, dragging their huge cooler on wheels with them. Obviously they had brought their own liquor with them. Wonder why the bar couldn't tell them to leave at 11 since they weren't even customers? The next night, a group of guys played cards and also laughed so loudly you could hear them many floors up with the window closed. At 11, I fell asleep only to have their laughter wake me up at 11:40. Another night short on sleep. The next night, another group was there in the bar area after 11:30 yelling at each other. Meanwhile, during the day, a couple were sitting by the bar area talking, and even with the window open, I couldn't hear what they were saying. So it is possible to have a normal conversion without disturbing your fellow guests.

As we checked out, we told the front desk about the nightly noise and the fact that we were leaving tired due to the lack of sleep we had experienced during our stay. The front desk rep said she would contact security, we said not to bother, obviously they don't care. If they did, they would patrol the pool area at night and invite guests to continue their conversations in the hotel lobby.

Due to the level of noise allowed by this hotel, I cannot recommend it to anyone unless you are hard of hearing or have a set of really great ear plugs which work effectively for you.

Room Tip: Choose a room overlooking the freeway- the rooms over the pool are too noisy.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Sheraton M, General Manager at Sheraton Mission Valley San Diego Hotel, responded to this review, July 26, 2014
Thank you for your TripAdvisor review and recent stay at the Sheraton Mission Valley San Diego Hotel. It is disheartening to find that you felt you received lack-luster service.

Your comments will be communicated to the appropriate leadership, as these complications are not the norm for our property. Please do be aware that all of our staff are highly trained and selectively chosen for each position based on key strengths and skills. With that said, we do apologize for any inconveniences that you encountered during your stay.

Your comments are constructive and will be useful for future employee training opportunities. Thank you for your review and we are hopeful for another chance to host you during future travels to San Diego.

Hong Kong
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

we stayed here one night...hotel is not bad but for $180/nt (incl $16 for parking and $15 for wifi) one should expect the windows to close properly no?...do not stay on the freeway facing side...the interior (carpets, furniture, bathroom) look like they redid a few years ago, but the windows appear to be from the 50s...the weathering is poor so you will hear cars whizzing by ALL NIGHT....

Room Tip: stay away from the freeway facing side...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
TDragon,
Thank you for your TripAdvisor review and recent stay at the Sheraton Mission Valley San Diego Hotel. We do apologize for the noise coming from our city side. Our windows have been recently weatherproofed, however it seems as though they may need to be looked at again and I thank you for bringing this to my attention. Your comments will be communicated to the appropriate leadership, as these complications are not the norm for our property.
Thank you again for your review. We hope to welcome you back for another opportunity to demonstrate the potential of our hotel.

Phoenix, AZ
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

This is clearly an older building that has had interior updating (still has popcorn ceilings). The property is kept clean, and the staff are friendly. The room itself was somewhat small and cramped, but also very clean and with modern updates. The bathroom is tiny and you really can't even use the sink comfortably with the bathroom door open. The water pressure is great in the shower though which is very nice. The only major complaint is with the bed. It was as if you were sleeping on fuzzy cement. If you like a stiff bed, then you will love it here, otherwise, not so much. If the price was right, I would stay here again, but would have to think twice because of how uncomfortable the bed was. Other than that though, it was a pleasant stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a mountain view room if road noise bothers you as this hotel is right up against a major fre...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Although some aspects of your newly renovated room were unexpected, we are pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay. Your thoughtful review is extremely valuable to our ongoing efforts here at the Sheraton Mission Valley. Thank you again for your feedback as it is appreciated and we look forward to hosting you again when you visit the beautiful San Diego area!

North Dakota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

We stayed here for 4 days in July. The front desk was very courteous. When asked if we were parking a car, I remembered a tip from here & asked about off street parking. They immediately comped our $16/day parking. Room was very nice & updated. Bathroom was tiny-tough for 2 adults & 2 kids to get ready...but also updated & very clean. We did not take advantage of the restaurant or pool. If you bypass daily linen changes they give you a certificate for $5 each day good at restaurant or pantry. We used ours at the extremely expensive pantry. Target is right across the street. We were there daily! So convenient. Pick up breakfast items to keep in your room! There is a refrigerator. Convenient location. 15-20 minutes away from pretty much anything (beaches, old town, seaworld, zoo) Great place to stay!

• Stayed July 2014
Thank you for your review and recent stay at the Sheraton Mission Valley San Diego Hotel!

We are thrilled to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. Providing impeccable service is essential to our goal of creating a home away from home. Our Make A Green Choice program is one of our ongoing efforts to help save energy and water. We appreciate you taking advantage of its perks and enjoying discount prices in our pantry.

Dan Stenz

Been to Sheraton Mission Valley San Diego Hotel? Share your experiences!