“Horrible Management” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Doubletree Hotel San Diego Downtown

You added Doubletree Hotel San Diego Downtown to your Saves list
Doubletree Hotel San Diego Downtown
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1646 Front Street, San Diego, CA 92101 (Formerly Radisson Hotel Harbor View) (Downtown)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #153 of 271 Hotels in San Diego
Chicago
“Horrible Management”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2007

Beautifully redone from the old Radisson. Comfortable beds. Clean Rooms. Great Location. If only they spent some money on the fitness room. Only one treadmill and reclined bike works. Forget running outside with all the smoke from fires. This is California, where every one is fit and tries to be healthy. Management is less than professional. Have better interaction at the Holiday Inn. They need some training in hotel hospitality.

Stayed October 2007

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2007

I stayed here for four nights during a conference and everything was wonderful. I hardly had any wait for the shuttle to and from the airport. The room was clean, large, and comfortable. I especially loved watching the sunset from my balconey! The staff was very kind and helpful. They were even able to get me the tiny screwdriver I needed to take my laptop apart when it broke. And they were quick about it! I used to work in a hotel on Disney property so my standards are rather high, but this hotel met them all!

• Stayed October 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
doverdog
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2007

My husband and I stayed last weekend for a wedding, and we were underwhelmed with the hotel as a whole. The staff really didn't seem to know what was happening at all, they messed up my friend's reservation, her drycleaning, and her luggage that was (or was not, according to them) delivered from the airport. I asked the 'concierge' if he knew where the shuttle would be to the wedding (something I would think he would at least be aware of, even if it was a private shuttle, since many many hotel guests were taking it) and he had absolutely no idea, and made no effort to find out for us. Another thing that bothered me about this hotel was there is no mini-fridge. It seems most hotels these days offer that, if you want to chill some water, soda, beer, etc.
The pool area was nice, albeit windy. We decided that they should move the bar that is currently in the restaurant in the lobby to the 5th floor pool, because there is some great furniture up there, and it looks like it could even be a 'scene', with little cabanas, etc. But it was sort of quiet and boring in the pool area, and I think it had some potential.
Overall, an okay stay, but nothing memorable at all.

• Liked — comfy bed
  • Disliked — staff, no fridge, boring pool area
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Washington, DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2007

Stayed one week during a business trip. Very quick and easy to get to from Airport, although was slightly confusing to find initially because I thought it was still the Radisson (as was listed on all my confirmations). Close to Little Italy. Complete renovations inside, rooms very clean and nice.

• Liked — Location, cleanliness
  • Disliked — Need to advertise more that the Hilton Company took over the Radisson.
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
MD
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2007

Like the other reviews say, the Doubletree Downtown San Diego has just been converted from what appears to have been a pretty shabby Radisson.

First the good news. The actual property, rooms and location are great. I would go so far as to say that the rooms are a great value since they are brand new with the Doubletree bed, a great balcony (but if you're a light sleeper, the traffic noise from the 5 might be a bit much), the biggest tray of bath amenities I've ever seen (and I'm a Hilton HHonors Diamond!) and free internet (a rarity in full-service hotels). Parking is reasonable at $18 a day in a covered garage. The walk downtown isn't far and Little Italy is right next door. The pool on the fifth floor is also really cool as it looks out over the city and the bay. I'm also a big fan of their little Wolfgang Puck coffeemaker, its a nice touch and makes great coffee. So. like I said the actual hotel itself is pretty good, if not great. I also recommend the little gelateria a block west of the hotel. Best gelato and coffee I've had outside of Italy; they also have a nice pastry selection.

Now the bad news. Guests and employees of this hotel almost make it unbearable!

I suspect the Doubletree kept many of the Radisson hotel's employees, as a result, they don't know policy. I had to argue with the front desk MANAGER about whether or not I got free breakfast. I asked another one to recommend a restaurant in Little Italy and they recommended a local chain! When I asked if they could make reservations, they said "no" and when I asked for their phone number, he said they didn't have it! I expect answers like that from employees new to the hotel or industry, but a manager?!

On the weekdays, the hotel fills largely with business people and the staff actually appears to act more professional! I guess that's because on weekends, the hotel fills with families and people looking "to party" and they're relieved that those people are gone. Which brings me to the guests. I spent 3 weekend nights at the property and felt like I was at a frat house! Between the parties and the screaming kids, this otherwise nice business hotel goes nuts! When I checked out early on a Saturday, the police had just kicked out a sizable number of guests from the hotel for drunk and disorderly conduct! Maybe after all the groups the shabby Radisson booked go away, this hotel will attract a more well-behaved crowd.

• Liked — Room, Location
  • Disliked — Noisy other guests, clueless staff (with some notable exceptions!)
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Doubletree Hotel San Diego Downtown? Share your experiences!