“Timeshare evolution” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Inn at the Park

Save Saved
You added Inn at the Park to your Saves list
Inn at the Park
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   525 Spruce Street, San Diego, CA 92103 (Formerly Park Manor Suites)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
10% Off Discount
Ranked #94 of 270 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersBronze level
Los Angeles, California
“Timeshare evolution”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2014

I agree with "Has Something To Say" in the sense that when booking, this property needs to make clear to anyone that it is indeed a timeshare and not a standard hotel with certain ammenities and services expected from a standard hotel. I disagree regarding the comment, "but there is no storage." I don't know what room this person stayed in, but both rooms we had did have plenty of storage including a large dresser and a closet with plenty of space. This is our second time staying at the Inn. We were there last year. This time we came down from L.A. to see Tom Petty in concert on August 3rd. And yes, I too am disappointed that they are removing the restaurant (although I never ate there) and that they don't offer a complimentary breakfast. In terms of the noise level, I don't know if we were just fortunate both times with the rooms we had, but we noticed very little noise, which in addition to the spacious rooms, is something we love about the Inn. Yes, we did see more families with children this year, but that pleased me to see little children running down the halls and to know that this is evolving into a family friendly (not that it ever wasn't) timeshare. It doesn't have some of the features of other hotels/resorts, nor can it offer them because it is a historical building (like adding a pool, for example). But that is part of the charm of the Inn. We love it's character! The location is perfect, away from the noise and bustle of downtown San Diego, but close enough to the freeways to make it accessible, and right next to Balboa Park. We did have to change rooms this time on the second night. They moved us from the 6th floor to the 5th floor. At first I didn't like the idea when I booked our stay, not simply because of the inconvenience, but because my traveling companion is disabled. But, happily they assured us that they would move all of our luggage and even the food in the fridge for us into the new room while we were out shopping for the day. It turned out that the room on the 5th floor was even better than the one on the 6th! It felt much cooler and we were able to sleep better at night, especially with the unusual humidity. I noticed that they had added flowers to the outdoor patio and fixed it up. It looks much better. The one thing they need to do is change the carpeting in the halls. As far as restaurants, I walked for a couple of blocks down 5th and there is an Italian restaurant and a vegan walk-up place just down the next block. Across the street and down is a charming and spacious coffee house which also serves alcoholic beverages. And the best thing is Extraordinary Desserts is within walking distance from the hotel. What a treat that was! Not to be missed if you love an excellent dessert. By the way, if you have a handicapped placard, the Inn will waive the $15.00 daily valet parking fee. We will definitely be returning to the Inn at the Park with all its boutique hotel charm.

Room Tip: Try to get a room with the Juliet balcony, which adds to the charm.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Jeff O, Front Office Manager at Inn at the Park, responded to this review, 1 week ago
737luv2travel:
Thank you for your pleasant review of your vacation experience here at Inn at the Park. I hope you enjoyed Tom Petty in concert. I will be sure to share your experience/comments with the entire management team. Your comments and suggestions are extremely valued. It is pleasant to read that you enjoyed the location of Inn at the Park and the vast options of restaurants surrounding the resort, including Extraordinary Desserts, which is a big hit locally as well. Thank you for being a loyal return guest and we look forward to your return.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
San Francisco
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2014

It was not clear to me or I misunderstood when booking this reservation that this "hotel" is not a hotel, but a timeshare. Why is this important to understand? Simply because if you are expecting the amenities of a hotel, you will not receive them. They do not provide a maid service unless you pay extra. Any use of the phone incurs an immediate charge. The rooms are large and spacious, but there is no storage, not one dresser, armoire, nor vanity in the bath. Your toiletries share a single shelf with the clean towels (there are no towel racks).
As it is a very old building, historic perhaps, you hear your neighbors above and to the side of you. We had a unique circumstance in that our room shared a wall with Spruce Street and with 6th. The windows are single pane and therefore we heard the traffic all night long as clear as if all our windows were wide open.
It is close to attractions and the airport. Across the street from a nice park, if you are traveling with kids (as I was). Other patrons within the hotel frowned quite enthusiastically at my kids, which makes me think this timeshare company doesn't cater to family with children, therefore "owners" are unaccustomed in seeing them.
At check-in, it was not disclosed to me that we were staying at a timeshare, nor was it disclosed to me that they do not provide maid service and only replace the towels and empty the garbage unless the occupant pays for a standard maid service. I discussed this with the front desk upon check out and they apologized and told me I should have understood.
Oh well, won't be a repeat "hotel" for me.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Hassomethingtosay:
Thank you for taking the time to share your most recent visit to Inn at the Park. I emphasize that not having all the information at booking can be challenging. I will be working closely with our reservations team and website coordinators to ensure that all the information is updated and correct. Thank you again for your feedback as exceeding our owners and guests expecations is our continued focus. We look forward to your return visit.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2014 via mobile

We had stayed here last year and decided to book again. However, we were unaware of renovations. The complimentary breakfast was gone, no happy hour on the upper level anymore, and no piano bar for a night cap. All gone. Those were the main reasons we wanted to come back.
And ran out of coffee in the morning....twice!
Doubtful we would be back.
Buyer beware....always ask....my bad on that part.

Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
Jeff O, Front Office Manager at Inn at the Park, responded to this review, August 2, 2014
Gina M:

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent vacation experience. i am disappointed to hear our services and amenities did not meet your expectations. I value your suggestions and feedback, as it gives us the opportunity to improve our amenties for our future guests and owners. Thank you again, and we look forward to your return visit.
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2014

Tracy
May 22, 2014
A large, lovely room with a great window shade and kitchenette, perfect for relaxing and light cooking after a long day at the zoo.

The website states that they have a roof deck, lounge and restaurant, but all of those are closed. They need to update the site. The info desk people were not very helpful. Do take the bus downtown. Do just get the 7 eleven pizza, the deliveries are bad.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Jeff O, Front Office Manager at Inn at the Park, responded to this review, June 23, 2014
Tracy:
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience of your recent vacation to Inn at the Park. I am delighted to hear that you were able to take full advantage of our fully stocked kitcen after a long day at the zoo. Our electronic shades in the room are a big hit with our guests and I am pleased to hear you enjoyed it as well. Thank you again for your feedback and we look forward to your return visit.
Gilbert, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2014 via mobile

Nice and clean. Just accross from Balboa Park and the kids play area. Currently being remodeled. Parking on premi seas es is $15 per night. No swimming pool nor restaurant. Otherwise not a bad place to stay.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Ed:
Thank you for the kind words. I will be sure to share these with our staff. I am glad to hear you enjoyed your stay. I am also pleased to hear that you enjoyed the location of Inn at the Park and your family enjoyed Balboa Park. Again, thank you for reaching out and we look forward to your next visit.
Naples, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2014

The spacious well-appointed rooms are very nice. However, all the staff I encountered seemed to have a 'could care less' attitude. Not warm, not welcoming, not efficient. From a repetitious answer to my request for an early check-in ('Check-in is not until 4 pm', and 'I'm sorry' was not part of that answer...) to a loud knock on my door from a housekeeping person when I had a 'do not disturb' sign on my door, it was all a bit too casual and careless for me. I find the lack of public spaces such as a restaurant of bar also a disadvantage. However it is a great location near Balboa Park.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Jeff O, Front Office Manager at Inn at the Park, responded to this review, June 13, 2014
2011ford:
I am disappointed to hear your interaction with the resort staff did not meet your expectations, as this is not part of the Count On Me service we take pride in at Wyndham. It is imperative that our guests and owners are treated well. Please be assured that i will be revieiwing the importance of the Count on Me culture with all team members. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed the room and the location of Inn at the Park. Thank you again for taking the time to share your experience.
Cork, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2014

We've stayed here twice as Shell Vacation Club owners. The first time in February 2014 and then May 2014. This is a quaint old hotel that has has quite a bit of renovation but still needs more. We loved the proximity to the park, zoo, etc. so it was ideal. The restaurant is still not open which is a disappointment but there is a small kitchen & some great restaurants nearby.

Getting luggage up the entry steps can be a challenge but not too hard. The hallways still smell quite musty so I hope they work on this. The decor was not what I would choose but it's comfy, clean & roomy.

Parking is only available via valet parking but it is worth the charge. All staff were very friendly & very helpful.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
kjh47:
Thank you for being Shell Vacations Club owners and thank you for this great feedback. This will allow us to continue to enhance the vacation experience at our resort. I am glad to read that you took full advantage of the location of Inn at the Park, visiting park and the Zoo. It is also nice to read that you experienced the Count on Me culture that is so important to us as a company, by our team being friendly and helpful. Thank you again for your feedback and we look forward to your return visit.

Been to Inn at the Park? Share your experiences!