“Lovely hotel in just the most perfect location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Inn at the Park

You added Inn at the Park to your Saves list
Inn at the Park
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   525 Spruce Street, San Diego, CA 92103 (Formerly Park Manor Suites)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
10% Off
Ranked #97 of 270 Hotels in San Diego
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersBronze level
Phoenix, Arizona
“Lovely hotel in just the most perfect location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

When I read the other reviews I was a bit skeptical but there was no cause for it. This place is lovely. I travel to San Diego for business fairly regularly and I would definitely stay here again. If you get booked in a room it would be remodeled as they are half done and the suites not complete are gutted so you couldn’t stay there anyway. The staff is friendly and helpful. Parking is $15 a night but we were there for 5 days and 4 nights and never had an issue finding street parking either on Spruce or very close by. The location was good too. Close to the airport (about 10 minutes) and lots of places where you can walk to eat. I tried Hash House A Go Go that everyone raves about that is about 4 blocks away and I thought it was just okay. Not sure what the excitement is about.

The room at this hotel is spectacular. Well-appointed and I loved the décor. We had a studio and it was quite roomy. The sofa has got to be at least 8 feet in length – I’ve never seen a larger sofa and it was crazy comfortable which you don’t often find in a hotel. They had a flat screen TV that I thought at first was in a weird location on the wall but it actually swivels nicely to either the bed or the sofa. There’s a little kitchen with the prerequisite stove top, refrigerator (a quiet one), coffee pot etc. Since they are indeed in the midst of remodeling the stove didn’t work but it was only a mild inconvenience. There’s a table with 2 very comfortable chairs in our unit and it’s close to the window that I could open and get a nice breeze.

The bathroom was well stocked with fresh linens and soaps. I didn’t like the shampoo and lotion options but it may just be a personal preference. I loved the fact they had a magnified mirror in the bathroom which made it easier to apply makeup. They also had all kinds of shelves to store your things. I didn’t like that I had to reach into the shower to turn it on then jump back as to not get wet while the water was heating. I see that a lot and I think it’s a serious design flaw. The other thing was the towels. While white and fluffy they felt on my skin as though they had not been washed right out of the package since they were new. So I found myself not reusing them so I could get something softer and on occasion I did. There’s also what I would call a dressing room with a place to hang things and a dresser with lots of drawers. The bed was comfy with fresh white linens and plenty of pillows.

No fitness center which I hated. I know I could have worked out at a place nearby but I wanted an in-hotel option.

So a few people mentioned the noise so I’ll address that too. True the place currently doesn’t have air conditioning but honestly if they had it I wouldn’t have used it. Plenty of breezes coming in thru the open windows and the ceiling fan made it plenty comfortable. In the evenings I even used a blanket. So with the windows open could you hear the cars going by and an occasional ambulance? Sure. Was it an issue? I don’t think so. If you live in the boonies somewhere where it’s quiet and you can only hear the crickets sing it might bother you. But I just felt it was not noticeable most of the time. I worked during the day on the kitchen table and I never once heard construction in or out of the hotel. It didn’t wake me and I had no issues sleeping with the windows open. If you’re a light sleeper then you may want to think about it and stay somewhere well distanced from the traffic – like maybe Iowa.

Room Tip: I stayed with my room facing Spruce and it had an acceptable noise level
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Jeff O, Front Office Manager at Inn at the Park, responded to this review, September 6, 2012
NaomiBTravelin: Thank you for your glowing review for Inn at the Park. I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed one of our newly renovated suits with the new decor. While our suites are well equipped, thank you for your patience as we transition throught the final phase of renovations to get the stovetops and other appliances functional. While Inn at the Park currently does not offer A/C, mother nature has been very kind to us here in San Diego, so opening up the windows and allowing the nice breeze to enter your room is nice. We are as well excited to be able to offer A/C in each newly renovated guest suite in mid-September. Thank you again for being our guest here at Inn at the Park and i look forward to your return visit with us in the near future for business or for pleasure.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
Conover
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

We stayed two nights at this very upscaled hotel during August. The hotel still a work in progress. Our room was very well appointed. Despite the high price per night, there was no air conditioning and the dishwasher did not work. Nor did all of the outlets. We were informed of this just at check in when there is not much to do after our lengthy travel to reach to location. It was necessary to keep the windows open as the lack of air conditioning meant not being able to close the windows. The hotel is located on a very very noisy corner especially on the weekends and so it was not always pleasant. Too bad. Unfortunately there was no price reduction in light of lack of full facility and service.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Jeff O, Front Office Manager at Inn at the Park, responded to this review, September 5, 2012
Ron G: Thank you for your feebback regarding your recent stay here at Inn at the Park. Your feedback is extremely important as we move through the final phase of renovation. As mentioned in your review, all avaiable suites are now fully renovated, and currently we are awaiting the implementation of our Three-Phase power installation, which will activate the remaining non-working appliances in all renovated guest suites starting in mid-September. Please contact me directly to arrange a future visit to Inn at the Park to demonstrate the quality and service for which our resort is capable once renovations are complete. I look forward to your return visit.
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

I stayed mid way through a massive renovation, they are stripping most rooms down to bones and recreating a funky deco style, while upgrading them with modern kitchens and baths.
My suite was wonderful and quiet, in sprite of the work going on at the hotel.
It's affordable and I walked easily to the gay area and the San Diego Zoo.
Additionally, every staff member from valets to desk to bartenders were very friendly and efficient.

• Stayed August 2012
Jeff O, Front Office Manager at Inn at the Park, responded to this review, August 25, 2012
MicahHilgendorf: Thank you for your review. As you mentioned in your review, we are on the last phase of renovation and I am pleased that we are able to present our newly renovated rooms while keeping with the old charm whilelist creating a modern decor in our guest suites. It is wonderful to hear that from the Valet, Bartenders, Front Desk, every staff member you encountered was friendly and efficient. I will be sharing your comments with the management team. Thank you again for your review and we look forward to your return visit to Inn at the Park.
Saint Paul, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

The hotel staff was very helpful upon my arrival, and did everything possible to find me a room so that I could check in early. The room i received was a two bedroom - two actual bedrooms, with a living room and full kitchen! suite that was immaculate, nicely decorated and recently remodeled. i had chosen the hotel as i thought it was close to the gas lamp district. it is not as close as i had thought, but it is nevertheless close to many attractions in the city (Balboa Park San Diego Zoo, etc.) The gas lamp district is actually quite a few blocks away and I would not want to walk in that area at night. It is somewhat equidistant from the gas lamp district and university avenue, which also has a lot of shops and restaurants.

It is important to point out, in case it matters to you, that this hotel is gay friendly. I am not gay (not that there is anything wring with that ;), and had no problem with it, but it is worth pointing out. There is no pool in the hotel, and dont be confused by the sign outside that says Manor Suites, that is the old name of the now Inn at The Park.

It is an old building and floor noises (from people walking the floor above you) is common. There is also some street noise but it was very tolerable when I was there. Valet parking is $15 a night, which is quite reasonable.

However, IF you plan to party in the gas lamp district, do not expect this hotel to be a manageable distance away once you have imbibed several alcoholic drinks, it si quite a walk, and not always a good one. It is however a very good value in a very good area and once remodeling is complete all the rooms will be as beautiful as the one I received

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Jeff O, Front Office Manager at Inn at the Park, responded to this review, August 11, 2012
Graycloudrios: Thank you for your rave review for Inn at the Park. I am pleased to hear that our 1100 sqft (2) bdrm suite was befitting your and your guests. I am equally pleased that you gave us 2 thumbs up on the remodel/renovation of the suite. Thank you again for your time and feedback and we look forward to your return visit to Inn at the Park.
Siesta Key, Florida, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012

My wife and two children stayed at the Inn at the Park. The room is more like an apartment. There is an eat in kitchen, living room area with a very large couch that had double pull-out twin beds, and a separate bedroom with a king bed.

Everything was brand new as the room was recently renovated. (1/2 the hotel was still being renovated, scheduled to complete in October. We were the room closest to the renovations and it was fine.)

The rooms were very, very large and very clean. The staff at the desk was very friendly and accommodating.

The hotel location was perfect for us. Across the street is Balboa Park and literally a large playground which was AWESOME for our two young daughters. Just north of the playground is the free tram stop to go to all the museams, science museum, and the zoo. The tram itself is somewhat entertaining for our kids 8 and under... There were two coffee shops within 2 blocks - Bassam and Extraordinary Desserts. If Bassam hasn't opened yet, keep walking to Extraordinary desserts.

If you walk north on 5th street (behind hotel), you walk into Hillcrest where there are LOADS of restaurants and bars.

The airport was a breeze to get to, no interstate. Take 6th down to Laurel and down the hill to the airport. 10 - 15 minutes.

We looked at lots of suite hotels so we can have a room while our kids sleep and this one was priced competitively. Then we got there and it was huge and so close to everything, everyone was nice. The complimentary rooftop breakfast is also nice. Bagels, english muffins, yogurt, fruit, etc.

So for a family with kids, this place rocked.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Jeff O, Front Office Manager at Inn at the Park, responded to this review, August 3, 2012
We are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us as well as enjoying what San Diego has to offer around the surrounding area. We are very excited that the last Phase of renovation is nearing and our newly renovated suite was suitable for you and your family. Thank you for your feedback and we look forward to your return to Inn at the Park.
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

Stayed here for 2 nights June 12-13, 2012 on a prepaid room 2 nights approx $150 per night through their website. Yes it's a step back in time but has class and style which modern hotels will never have.

Pluses:
-Location - Easy 10 minutes walk to Hillcrest - many cafes, restaurants bars. Also 5 minutes down 5th avenue to "Bertrand at Mister A's" on top of the Financial centre building. A must do for afternoon cocktails/beers/nibbles with amazing views of bay and airport.
-Staff - Can't do enough for you. Recommended brunch at "Hash House a gogo" which is a 5 minutes walk (and an incredible experience never to be forgotten - google it !). Staff called cabs the minute we started asking for one.
-Free breakfast on the roof

Room for improvement:
- Very slow elevator
-Wireless internet coverage and speed
-Renovation of rooms proceeding too slowly. Stayed in an unrenovated room which was fine for the price but not for everyone.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Jeff O, Front Office Manager at Inn at the Park, responded to this review, July 27, 2012
Thank you for your wonderful review.I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and will be returning. For your return visit, i am as well pleased to announce that effective mid July of 2012, all our rentable guest suites are renovated. We look forward to seeing you again soon.
Los Alamitos, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2012

Arrived to stay for 2 nights at $249/night only to discover no air-conditioning! Staff couldn't have been nicer or tried to be more accommodating - I just would have never booked this hotel if I had known in advance of no air-conditioning. They did put an additional fan in our room, just wasn't enough so we had to sleep with windows open which was a night mare full of unbelievable noise. I called front desk because we were not able to connect to their free wi-fi as advertised, and they told us that they would try to reboot their system or that we could try to use it in the lobby where it might work. To us, that just wasn't very convenient. Also, because of having to keep the windows open -- there was an issue in the bathroom -- window only opened from bottom up and when you sit on the toilet -- your rear end is right smack in the window! That part was really amazing. I spoke with the guest relations manager in the morning and he kindly agreed to let us check out which we did. The staff was extremely helpful, friendly, etc. in every way possible. I think once the rennovation is completed in this hotel it would would be a delightful place to stay. The location is perfect, staff was very accommodating, bartender made the best cosmopolitan I ever had, very charming hotel. Just maybe not so great during July with no air. Would definitely consider another time.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your most recent stay here at Inn at the Park. While we are under going renovation, Phase 1 of 2 phases is now complete, i must apologize this process of renovation affected your overall stay. I am pleased to hear that the Inn at the Park staff was accommodating and you enjoyed one of our famous cosmopolitans located in our 525 Restaurant. We do look forward to your future return to Inn at the Park.

Been to Inn at the Park? Share your experiences!