“Convenient and cheap but clean - hence the bargain” 3 of 5 stars

Old Town Inn
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   4444 Pacific Highway, San Diego, CA 92110   |
Ranked #22 of 271 Hotels in San Diego
Tacoma, WA
“Convenient and cheap but clean - hence the bargain”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2007

I wanted an affordable place to sleep close to USD, the airport, Seaworld and convenitent to the rest of San Diego attractions. I only paid about 65 bucks for the night in a room with 2 double beds within a row of a motel like structure, which is likely the older of the structures on the property. I was tired and did not notice the traffic from the nearby street and close elevated I-5. No noise from neighbors and a clean room made this a bargain. It was indeed convenient. A car is still a good idea in SD. However, nearby are bus and trolley routes.
On arrival about 4 PM, I noticed a very strong "room freshener" which was definitely overdone. My advice to the hotel is to insure that non-smoking rooms are absoulutely maintained non-smoking and that room fresheners be far more subtle and sparingly used.
The bathroom was 1950s design with a small shower stall, toilet and small updated vanity.
The two double beds would be adequate up to a 6 foot tall person but not beyond. If you are tall get aroom with a queen bed. The decor had a cheerful bedspread and paint scheme. TV was very basic cable.
The lobby was warm and welcoming as was the staff. There is only one person at the desk. If more than one person is ready to check in or out there will be a wait, so don't wait until the last minute to leave.
The breaksfast was adequate and convenient self serve. Bagels, dry cereal, instant oatmeal, pastries and make your own waffles. The waffle batter was bland to paper mache' in flavor and texture - might be improved with a longer cook time and perhaps a different batter. One piece of advice to the staff - get a sneeze guard and keep the food out of children's reach. We observed one hacking, sneezing child spreading her germs over the pastries and bagels. We stuck with the non-descript waffles. Eating breakfast out may be worth it.
All in all, if you just need a convenient place to flop, this place works out well. Just don't expect too much.

Stayed February 2007

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (163)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
West Hollywood, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2007

Bottom line, this is a very pleasant place to stay and was convenient for us since we were visiting the U of SD and Sea World.

The bad news...

In general, there was a bunch of little things that were kind of annoying for us, We are two men in our 40s that rented 2 rooms (a small one and a larger one (the larger one had a kitchen and sofabed as well as a queen)-- both non-smoking)

1. The first "larger room" they gave me had a strong cigarette smoke smell. The carpet actually had cigarette burns in it in spite of the fact that this was supposed to be a non-smoking room.

2. I was transferred to another room (no smoke smell) but it (and my friend's room) both had a perfumy/disinfectant kind of smell that we both found unpleasant. (Perhaps, it's that Fabreze stuff and you might not mind it but both of us left the windows open to get rid of it).. The second room also had cigarette burns in it (these were on the blanket). In addition, the back of the door to the room had some heavy scratches and dents on it as if something heavy had been thrown against it.

3. When I returned later to my room, and turned on the tap to brush my teeth, there was an overpoweringly strong sulphur smell (rotten eggs smell) coming out of the tap.

4. I went to buy bottled water and the vending machine I tried was out of water; the second one stole my money and failed to dispense my water.

5. When we arrived, The pool had a sign on it saying that the water heater was broken although I saw people swimming in it later in the day who said it was warm.

6. The "make your own" waffles for breakfast were pretty tastelss and the cereal had a stale taste. The cereal was dispensed from large glass jars via scoops. I thought it strange that the scoops were stored by hanging them by the scoop-part (not by the handle) on the wooden knobs that were screwed into the center of the jar lids. In this way, every "dirty" hand that came in contact with a jar lid -- and left its germs on the lid's knob --resulted in those germs being transferred to the scoop which in turn was repeatedly inserted into the jar. (Yeech!). I believe that the reason the cereal tasted stale was that the jars were never emptied and washed -- just re-filled from time to time.

7. The remarks of the prior posters notwithstanding, there was some traffic noise from the street. My room was about 1/2 way back from the driveway entrance and you could still hear some noise in the distance (with the windows closed). It didn't disturb me -- I feel asleep easily but it might affect light sleepers, especially if your room was closer to the street. FYI, the smaller rooms (what they call "the bungalows) are farther away from the street than the larger rooms. in general.

Ok, the good news...

1. The lobby was very nice -- there was the fireplace and attractive furnishings.

2. Check-in was a snap. Mary at reception (who later changed my room) was a delight as was everyone who worked there.

3. The rooms were very nicely' decorated: even the smaller room was nice -- the only slight drawback was the smaller room's bath which had the "original tile" which while clean looked a little old..

4. Everyone who worked there was very helpful and kind. When I lost my money in the soda machine, the deskclerk led me to the third machine (in the laundry room) and gave me the money I had lost.

5. The Orange Juice and tea at breakfast was tasty. I did not try the bagels but they were large and lots of people appeared to be enjoying them.

I've sinced talked to a plumber who told me that the "sulpur smell" that I experienced (which was not in the shower, btw) could have resulted from a recent plumbing repair and probably would go away in a week or less.

All in all, I'd rate it 3-1/2 stars (if that were possible). The hotel was completely sold out both days we were there so I'm sure they had their hands full.

• Liked — Location, Great service, pleasant decor
  • Disliked — The perfumey/disinfectant smell of the rooms and the strange "sulphur smell of the sink water"
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Fountain Valley, CA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2007

After seeing the mostly high ratings, I thought to give this a try for a one night stay. This was a HUGE mistake.

My wife and I enjoy going to Old Town and have stayed at various hotels around the area, and without a doubt this hotel has to be the worst. At first glance, the place looked okay, however when we got there, the person behind the counter decided that taking reservations was more important then us, so they continued to take 2 reservations over the phone as 4 groups lined up behind us.

As other reviewers have mentioned, there are two sides to this hotel. The registration side looks great and the lobby was very nice, but then we were assigned a room to the dreaded "other" side.

This other side honestly looked like something out of a bad horror movie. It looked awful. I mean talk about 180 degrees difference from the other side. The room was ridiculously small, and there were creaks and cracks with everything we did.

The worst part, I thought, was the noise. If someone stopped in front of our room to talk, it was like they were in the room with us it was so loud. The bangs from other doors, and other rooms kept us up pretty much all night.

As I said, we have stayed in various locations throughout Old Town, I would avoid this one at all costs. It was the loudest, and dirtiest out of anything we have seen. I will never stay here again.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Everything Else
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
lis302, Concierge at Old Town Inn, responded to this review, February 21, 2007
We are sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay with us, we are a family owned business that aims to treat each of our guests the way we want to be treated during our own travels.

I found your comment about our hotel being the “worst” in the area, rather unjust, since the majority of our guests keep coming back because of our clean property, our wonderful staff and our reasonable prices. We are a 2 star hotel with many of the luxuries of a 3 star hotel, including an expanded continental breakfast, wireless internet service, heated pool, and lush landscaping.

Also, you never specified why you said our hotel was the“dirtiest.” I would appreciate it if you would email with more information as I did not find any mention in your review about what led you to that conclusion, our hotel is generally known for it’s cleanliness. My email is lis302@nethere.com

Your comment about the “dreaded other side”, yes, part of our property is modern and part is circa 1950. Many of our guests request these rooms, and not just for the great price... they like the coziness and the “50's” feel. I always recommend that anyone who wants a lot of space and a more modern hotel experience stay in our deluxe building. Although the older economy rooms are smaller than our deluxe building, their bathrooms have been recently renovated and they are currently undergoing remodeling that includes new carpets, drapes, beds, art, wallpaper etc. Half the rooms are done and the project should be completed in the next couple of months. .

We are sorry to hear that you encountered excessive noise during your stay with us. We do our best to see that unnecessary disturbances are avoided; unfortunately, at times, it is beyond our control. I do wish you would have immediately notified our on-duty desk clerk of the undue commotion, thus, giving us the opportunity to rectify the situation for you.

Lis Dukesherer
Concierge
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2007

I stayed at the Old Town Inn based on the many good reviews I read on TripAdvisor and I couldn't have been more happy! Convenient location, nice clean rooms, good housekeeping, friendly staff, nice breakfast, and best of all GREAT RATES (they give a 10% AAA discount too). The ONLY negatives at all (and it really didn't bother me) is that the hotel is located in a somewhat "industrial-looking" area. It wasn't noisy or anything and when you were on the hotel grounds you would never know it.. the way the buildings are laid out you really can't see much beyond the hotel when you are there.

As others have said, getting around from here was easy and there are many restaurants and store close by. Our first two nights we stayed at a "chain" hotel just a few blocks away. It cost $45.00 more per night and it wasn't as nice as the Old Town Inn. I will tell all my friends about it. I would definitely stay there again!

• Liked — Price and Service
  • Disliked — Surroundings
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled with family
Iowa City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2007

The trip advisor board led us here,a good choice.Stayed here Jan.5-8 and again Jan 19-21. Both times in the older sections for $58 to $65 ,depending on room and day of week.
Nicely landscaped gardens and pool area(heated),good expanded continental brkfst.cereal,rolls,muffins,toast,bagels,waffles,h-boiled eggs,coffee,juice,hot choc,tea,milk. Didnt have my computer,so dont remember if all rooms have internet access,but there is a computer in the lobby for guest use which worked out fine.
Great staff,especially,Mary and Maria,who seemed to be working most often when we were in the lobby,also always someone outside sweeping,cleaning pool,trimming,just keeping the place nice. Rooms very clean and pillow top beds comfy for hotel beds.Laundry available.
Walk 2 blocks to Old Town or couple more blocks to the left for plenty of dining ,shopping options. (Guadalajara in OT or theres Sizzler on Rosecrantz that are decent choices.Dont forget a fish taco from Rubios while you're there)Driving easy also,but may have to cruise the parking lots in old town for a spot at certain times of the day. Desk has printed directions for both walking locally,or driving to most anything in San Diego. Commuter train,trolley,busses also right there at entrance to old town.Entry to I-8/I-5 or downtown on Pacific Hwy all convenient .Found driving SD quite easy from here.
There is factory looking military (SpacWar) spacewar? complex across the street,but no noise or traffic problems resulted.
Overall great place to stay

• Liked — value
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled as a couple
Marstons Mills, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2007

This is def a gem of an Inn. Now, first off, I was hesitant of the place after seeing a room other than the one we stayed in as well as the weird location of the Inn. But I have to say, this is a great find and I'm glad I followed the advise of other tripadvisors!

The location is awes...it couldn't get any better. The location of this hotel is literally RIGHT next to the tranportation depot and within walking distance to Old Town. There are great little shops and restaurants in this area and instead of going downtown like we had planned, my fiance and I spent the whole weekend in Old Town. No need for a car or worrying about parking.

The hotel was clean, the breakfast was great and the staff was VERY accomodating. I was even able to get the wireless internet from my room (#305). I have to give a shout out to Oke (not sure if that is spelled right) as we had a bit of an experience when we first arrived.

Our flight was five hours late so instead of getting there at 9:30pm, we arrived at 2:30am. He was very pleasant and when we realized the room we had been booked with was not what we were looking for, he happily moved us to another location as well as comp'd us for our troubles and pretty much missing the first nights stay. By the time we got to the room and to bed it was 4am. The bed was sooo comfy though (pillowtop) so I was able to get a good nights sleep. Even though I was given a smoking room (that was all that was left to accomodate my needs), it really was not a bad room and didn't smell as bad as it could have.

I will DEF stay here when I come back. You cannot ask for a better deal in pricey San Diego. Hopefully this hotel will stay true to it's colors and not let big business drive their prices up. Thanks Old Town Inn!!

• Liked — Location and Staff
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Santa Rosa, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2007

We stayed at Old Town at the end of the holiday season. We found that it was a reasonable alternative to staying in a pricey hotel in downtown SD, which after all is only a few miles away. The room was pleasant and the breakfast was quite good - you can make your own waffles. We didn't walk to the Old Town or the trolley stop - those things are fairly close but you have to cross a wide street. If you had small children or any kind of mobility issue it might not seem too close! Our teenagers used the pool - apparently it was warm enough for them, even in Dec. No hot tub though. The people in the office were helpful with recommendations for restaurants and also for directions in the immediate area. This was refreshing - too many smaller hotels seem to have staff members who don't know anything about the area around the hotel. We got more than we expected at this hotel!

• Liked — Waffles and fruit for breakfast
  • Disliked — Somewhat isolated neighborhood
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Old Town Inn? Share your experiences!