“Would stay again in a Heartbeat!!!!!” 5 of 5 stars

Announcement
We Have Rooms!
Ranked #18 of 269 hotels in San Diego
A TripAdvisor Member
“Would stay again in a Heartbeat!!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2005

I stayed at this motel for two nights in May. I had a wonderful experience. My room was a Deluxe room with a king sized bed. The room was large and very clean. The staff was very helpful and knowledgeable with directions to any place I needed to go. I wanted to go downtown to the Gas Lamp District and the staff suggested taking the trolley. One of the trolley stops was located in Old Town, which is a short walking distant from the motel. I felt very safe, even returning back to the motel in the evening. It sure beats driving and paying extremely high parking prices. The trolley is the way to go.

I enjoyed their free breakfast bar (cereals, breads, fruits, muffins & bagals)free breakfast bar. It also had a variety of juices, milk and coffee. I never left on an empty stomach. There was a very pleasant young lady constantly making sure that the food was always in supply.

I did not get a chance to swim in the pool, but it did look charming and inviting. I know if I return to San Diego again, that I will definitely stay at the Old Town Inn again.

1,150 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2005

I recently stayed at the Old Town Inn and agree with the reviews posted by the previous guests that this hotel is definetly worth staying at. We stayed there on a very busy weekend (The marathon was was going on there) and unlike most of the Hotels that were either sold out or were asking for $200-$400 for 1 night we were able to secure a rate of under $100. David the front desk manager (who must live at the hotel since he was the one I made the reservation with, checked us in, and then was there on our departure) was very helpful with the accomodations and directions to and from the property. He even provided us with an early check-in and was always seemingly happy to assist us with everything. Listen, this is not a Hilton or Mariott, but for the price, clean rooms, and EASY access to/from downtown I will definetly consider staying here again.
Did I forget to mention....FREE parking and a continental breakfast that is nicely laid out for you in a dining room? My only concern in writing this review is that too many people will consider staying here and there goes the great rate.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2005

My boyfriend and I decided to stay at this hotel after reading all of the positive reviews on TripAdvisor. We were not disappointed. This is definitely the place to stay in San Diego if you are not renting a car. We were able to walk to the Sports Arena, the reason we were in town. Also, the trolley and bus lines are right up the road. We were able to get to SeaWorld, the Zoo, and the beach easily using the station. The hotel is in an industrial area (next to a psychiatric hospital) but we still felt safe enough to walk back to the hotel in the dark.

We stayed May 29-June 2 in an older economy room. We checked in 3 hours early with no problems and would have been upgraded at no charge, had there been a nicer available-but it was the holiday weekend, so they were booked solid. The room and bathroom were tiny and the shower made an awful squealing noise(not pleasant to wake up to!) The pool area was nice, beautiful flowers everywhere, but no hot tub. The breakfast was good, service at the front desk was unbeatable. Doug was especially corteous and helpful. I would definitely stay here again.

Vaiden, Mississippi
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2005

After reading other reviews here, we decided to try this place. The motel was very clean and the grounds are beautiful. We stayed in a deluxe room, so I don't know about the others. The staff was very friendly and helpful in pointing out attractions and ways to get around the area. I was a little disappointed in the breakfast, after reading such good reviews. It was to us just your average continental breakfast. We would recommend a trip to Old Town and while you are there eat at Old Town Mexican Restaurant. The food was superb. I would recommend this motel for anyone that wants a clean affordable room.

SANTA FE
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2005

Stayed at the Old Town Inn for four nights from May 23 to May 27. What a wonderful place to stay. My friend and I were even able to check in two hours before normal check-in time. The room we stayed in was on the third floor, very clean, roomy and quiet. Had a kitchenette and the staff even gave us a box of dishes, pans and utensils to use during out stay. The grounds of the Inn are nicely landscaped and has plenty of parking available. The continental breakfast they offered was another plus. The Inn is centrally located and the printout the staff gave us of directions to sites and stores was extremely helpful. Laundry room wasn't expensive and they have full load machines...drying time was an unbelievable 40 minutes. I highly recommend a stay at this hotel and have already suggested it to friends and relatives. Will definately stay here on my next trip to San Diego!

Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2005

A friend and I stayed at the Old Town Inn last week for four nights. I researched this hotel on this site and decided to give it a try. I am glad I did. We had room 136 in the older part and looked out to the pool and all the beautiful flowers all around the hotel. The staff was wonderful and so friendly. The breakfast was adequate and the room although it was old had good beds. For the price and the closeness to Old Town and the Trolley and bus terminal (right across the street) I think it was a very good deal. I'd go back there if I ever go into San Deigo again because it is so easy to get anywhere from there.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2005

I selected this hotel because of all the reviews in tripadvisor.com after trying to find a good hotel with a reasonable price which hardly any at all in San Diego area. We stayed for 2 nights from May 20 - May 22 for our 16th wedding anniversary. I thought I got more than what I bargained for! I was impressed with the size of the room, the cleanliness, the friendliness of the staff, the inn's landscaping, and the BREAKFAST! We have been to inns with continental breakfast before, but this one is definitely the BEST.

I agree with all the positive reviews of this hotel in this site. I haven't tried using the transportation that was recommended by others in their reviews but definitely will try it next time since we definitely will go back. But we did use the recommendations of the staff to visit Old Town and had a very good time. Old Town has the best Mexican food there is. The driving directions that the staff gave us to the Gas Lamp District was right and was very useful!

We did try the pool and the water was warm, 82 F. The landscaping is pleasing to the eyes (water fountain, green grass and foliage, and flowers).

Agree, if you are used to Hyatt hotel, this is definitely not your choice. But if you overlook the surroundings of the inn and just concentrate on what this inn offers to you, you will leave this hotel with much better feeling than if you stayed in Hyatt. Staying in this inn, you will receive the personal attention and help from the staff that you won't get in the luxurious hotels. It should have been called a Bed & Breakfast because it has the feel for it.

• Stayed May 2005

Been to Old Town Inn? Share your experiences!