“Ideal family vacation spot” 5 of 5 stars

Announcement
We Have Rooms!
Ranked #21 of 270 Hotels in San Diego
Berthoud, Colorado
“Ideal family vacation spot”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2014

We recently stayed at Old Town Inn with our two grandchildren, ages 8 and 12. The entire stay was delightful, starting with the friendly staff at check-in and the extremely clean and comfortable room. We appreciated the breakfast offerings, and found that the swimming pool was a real highlight. The kids enjoyed the pool while we relaxed at the end of a day of theme parks. The location on Pacific Highway helped us to get around town easily, and the short walk to Old Town was a plus. SeaWorld truly was just a few minutes away.

Room Tip: Our room, which included a kitchenette, was clean, quiet, and just large enough to be comfortable.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
OTICustomerCare, Front Desk Agent at Old Town Inn, responded to this review, August 14, 2014
Dear Valued Guest, Thank you for the time taken to review the Old Town Inn San Diego, your honest feedback is very important to us. We are delighted to read you and your entire family enjoyed your accommodations and amenities, from check in until the end of your stay.

Our goal is to provide great, customer service, clean comfortable rooms, invading atmosphere and our guest to comes first. Especially when it comes to the check in, it is our first impression to shine and welcome our guest with a warm smile. I do have to say I myself have stayed in other hotels and we have a great variety of foods to offer for breakfast to get our guest to start of the day and it’s quit fulfilling.

It is a delight, to know the entire family, enjoyed the pool and you were able to relax, while the kids enjoyed a swim after a long day from the theme parks. On your next visit, you and your family can use our grill at the pool area and enjoy an evening dinner and on the other note you can rent a free DVD movie at the front desk and $1.00 popcorn to end the day.

I am glad to hear that you and your family found our hotel to be well located to easily get to everything in San Diego. One of the best attractions, Historic Old Town State Park, is a quick 10 minute walk from the Old Town Inn!

On your next visit, book directly with us by going to our website or by calling the front desk, we strive to offer the best personal service four our guest. We have many room types that are not always available on our booking partner’s website.

Thank you again, for sharing your experience, and we hope to see you and your family at the Old Town Inn lobby soon.

Laura| Front Desk Agent
Visit our Hotel Website or Call Us at (800) 643-3025

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (167)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Las Vegas, NV
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2014

After I made the reservation, I called to ask a few questions. The lady on the phone must be busy at the time (about 10pm), for she gave me a heavy sign when I asked the third question. We arrived late at night, and there were no parking space left. Luckily a few employees were leaving, so we were able to take one of their spaces. The staff was nice but has room for improvement. I stopped by the front desk 3 times for different inquires, and two of the three times I felt like a bother. However, Laura at the front desk was the best of them all. I felt welcomed when I approached her. She was very accommodating, professional and friendly. I wished she was my check-in agent, then my review would be a lot different.

The breakfast was good but not great. I like the steel cut oatmeal, the waffle makers, and pastry selections. However, as a steel cute oatmeal lover, it was too dry and raw for me. It would be better if there were hot items, but no biggie. One thing I noticed was the the employees were getting breakfast from there too, which I don't mind, but I did not enjoy being cut or rushed by them. I don't feel it's their fault, for they probably have only a short time to enjoy their food. I think the management should provide them their own portion of food in a separate room, where they are able to enjoy without fighting with 30 just woke up on vacation mode paying guests.

The room was clean but feel old and outdated. I like the fridge and microwave feature. I also like there is a vanity area right outside the bathroom with a sink. There is another sink inside the bathroom. There were ants crawling around the sink area, but understandable since it rained for a few days before we arrived. The worst thing about my experience was the bed. It was too soft. I sunk in and felt hard to get up just by sitting on it. I also don't like the fact that they would charge me for a crib, so I brought my own pack n play.

The location was great. 4 miles to Sea World, 5 miles to zoo. Right by the old town with many good restaurants around.

All in all, this is a not-bad hotel. Will I stay there again? Maybe, if the price is right, but I would try to find something else first.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
OTICustomerCare, General Manager at Old Town Inn, responded to this review, August 8, 2014
Dear Valued Guest – we were very sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations. We do believe we have some of the kindest, most dedicated employees in the business.

We will take a closer look at the quality of our steel cut oatmeal and see if there is anything we can improve. We started offering oatmeal earlier in the year, after extensive testing, we settled on this recipe based on our guests’ response.

I want to apologize for the situation with our employees getting breakfast. We will be addressing this matter with our staff. Our employees usually arrive ready to work, but sometimes when they have a few minutes before starting their work day, they will enjoy coffee and pastries. We have always been flexible in this area because we truly appreciate their dedication and hard-work, but we will definitely be speaking with them about being conscious of our guests’ time and comfort.

In regards to the ants, I have to say, we work very hard at keeping pests out of our rooms; we know how important cleanliness is to our guests. Unfortunately, this is the season for ants in California and our pest control company is spraying frequently. We just finished a round of treatment around the property (inside our guestrooms and outside), and are getting ready to start another treatment. We are monitoring this problem closely. We are very sorry that you had to encounter this problem in your room.

I was saddened to read that you found our beds so uncomfortable. We tested a lot of beds until we decided to go with the top of the line Simmons Beauty-rest Pillow-top Mattresses. Their pocketed coil springs are small, individually wrapped, strong and durable. These mattresses also have layers and layers of cushioning foam. Most of our guests love them but as you can imagine, it’s very hard to get the beds just right in a hotel because everyone has their own preference. We are committed to finding this particular bed though, and if it needs to be replaced we will do so.

We appreciate the time you took to review your stay. We do hope you will give us another opportunity to serve you.

Beatriz | General Manager
orange california
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2014 via mobile

On Sunday July 20 th I checked into this beautiful hotel I want to begin by thanking the entire hotel staff for taking wonderful care of my disabled friend Linda fox she really enjoyed her room they set her up with
This year the hotel was in the real comic con mode by wearing superhero shirts and masks my room had a super cool air conditioner which I had a good nights sleep
Other than attending the comic con and getting tons of media attention in my custom made costumes the most exciting part of this trip was getting to throw a wine tasting birthday party for my comic con sister Liza rios
The general hotel manager Beatriz had a refrigerator put in my hotel room yo keep the wine and birthday cake cold and Alex the front desk clerk supplied us with wine glasses and birthday candles and plastic ware and they even took care of my buddy Mario who bunked with me and my other buddy scott Addison who lucked out and got tickets to comic con
I'm forever grateful to the entire hotel staff for going out on a limb for me

Stayed July 2014
OTICustomerCare, Front Desk Agent at Old Town Inn, responded to this review, August 16, 2014
Dear Tom- It is our pleasure seeing you every year and having you as our beloved guest here at the Old Town Inn, for this incredible event held every year. It is always so nice meeting your new friends as well every year. Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel, and your feedback is very important to us. You make the comic con event so interesting; and thank you for sharing your unique costumes with us. You are always full of surprises but this year’s costume was fantastic. I am glad we were able to help you with your surprise party and be able to provide you with a refrigerator in your room. We are delighted to know the Old Town Inn is always your number one on your list for accommodation every year. Trip Advisor is all about guest satisfaction, and we tend to rate highly with guests who want to get the most for their dollar, value, cleanliness, and who appreciate genuine hospitality. We love you tom take care, till next year from everyone here at the Old Town Inn staff.

* Book Direct with us - For the Best Service, Selection and Value!*

Laura -Front Desk Agent
Visit our Hotel Website or call Us at (800)643-3025
Tucson, Arizona, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2014

From check-in to check-out, everything about this hotel was great. The complimentary breakfast is simple, but delicious. The DVD library was a pleasant surprise. The staff was extremely helpful. We recommend it highly, and will return when we come back to San Diego.

Stayed August 2014
OTICustomerCare, Front Desk Agent at Old Town Inn, responded to this review, August 8, 2014
Dear Danielle P- Thank you for the wonderful review and mentioning our friendly staff, clean rooms and amenities from the complimentary breakfast to the free DVD rental. We truly appreciate your compliments and feedback. We have an amazing frond desk team that is ready to pour out, with all the information you need from directions, to restaurant recommendations, and things to see. I believe we have an answer to just about anything. I’m glad we were able to make a difference during your stay.

Thank you again, for sharing your experience, and we hope your next visit will be even more pleasant than the previous one.

Dallas, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

Went to meet family in San Diego, never having been there before. Read other reviews, and decided this met the need to balance budget, location, and comfort. Yup, I would say that this did that nicely. It's nice, but clearly not the nicest in town, nor even in the old town area. It's certainly handy to old town, we walked to any restaurant or attraction in the area. It's fairly easy to get on and off the interstate highway, and the trolley stop (which is what I would have called light rail, not the cute, "old time" trolley cars I had imagined) was a very short walk, allowing easy access to the rest of San Diego. Neighborhood was safe, the rooms were clean (ish), and the price pretty reasonable compared to other hotels nearby. Had a short problem with billing, but was able to get that worked out.

Perhaps one of the better features they offer is parking at a discount. A bit of a crowded lot, but much better than parking on the street. We were able to come and go, drive, walk, or take the trolley, all with perfect ease.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Brantford, Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

If you are looking for a resort-type vacation and are planning on spending a lot of time at the hotel, then the Old Town Inn is not what you are looking for. However, it is a wonderful home-base for exploring San Diego. Our room was clean and spacious and staff were very helpful when answering questions about sights and transportation around San Diego. The Old Town Inn was central and provided easy access to Old Town, public transportation, etc.... It is in an industrial area, but one inside the grounds, it is safe and comfortable. They offered the best breakfast that we had on our entire trip. We would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the busy street if you like quiet.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Dear Brantfort- Thank you for the wonderful review, We are a modest, family-owned AAA 2-star rated hotel with a single-minded dedication to consistent service, we are not everyone’s cup of tea, however, we are rated highly by those who appreciate value, quality accommodations, cleanliness, and genuine hospitality.

We are happy to know it was a great delight in your stay here at the Old Town Inn from the clean, spacious room and the outstanding staff service. We have an amazing frond desk team that is ready to pour out, with all the information you need from directions, to restaurant recommendations, and things to see. I believe we have an answer to just about anything.

The Old Town Inn is in a unique area for a hotel. We like to tell people that we are nowhere, but right next door to everywhere! I am glad to hear that you found our hotel to be well located to easily get to everything in San Diego. One of the best attractions, Historic Old Town State Park, is a quick 10 minute walk from the Old Town Inn!

I do concur with you; our breakfast is great, every morning from 6 am-10 am that includes waffles that you make yourself, hard boiled eggs, 3 types of cold cereal, bagels with the topping of butter and syrup, Danishes, muffins and croissants with the topping of butter, fresh fruit as well as cocktail fruit, wheat and white bread with the toppings of butter, jelly and peanut butter, instant oatmeal with the toppings of brown sugar, raisins, chocolate sprinkles and cinnamon powder. Free, fresh lemon water, decaf and regular coffee, tea and fruit until 11 pm every night in our lobby.

uk
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

We liked our stay here very much. The staff were friendly and the hotel is well managed. Very clean, nice pool, good value. Worth noting that the hotel isn't in down town San Diego. It is in the Old town, the clue being in the name ! We were happy with that though and it's easy via public transport or personal vehicle to reach the city centre (only a few minutes away). 4.5.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
OTICustomerCare, Front Desk Agent at Old Town Inn, responded to this review, August 6, 2014
Dear Valued Guest-Thank you for your great comments on Trip Advisor regarding the Old Town Inn San Diego. I’m delighted to know that your experience was enjoyable at the Old Town Inn.
The Old Town Inn is quite, clean and comfortable for our guest to relax and enjoy well-earned moments of peace, while basking at the pool in the sun in Sunny San Diego California. I do concur, with you it’s all about the friendliness and professionalism of the “front line staff members” which makes all the difference and the owners take great pride in taking care of the property.

Our great location and easy access to the historical Old Town, and all the major attractions, freeways make it easy for exploring and adventure around town.

We strive to offer the best personal service for our guest, book directly with us by going to our website or calling our front desk. We have many room types that are not always available on our booking partner’s website. Like our deluxe rooms that have a bathtub with two queen beds also available with mini fridge and microwave or efficiency kitchen or a room with a king size bed, sofa sitting area, mini fridge and microwave. The Old Town Inn is a small family own hotel with a single-minded dedication with consistent service, quality and value.

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Old Town Inn and for the great review. We greatly appreciate your feedback, mostly it was a pleasure to have you as our guest, and we hope to see you again soon!

Visit our Hotel Website or Call Us at (800) 643-3025

Been to Old Town Inn? Share your experiences!