“Nice staff and good location” 4 of 5 stars

2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   4444 Pacific Highway, San Diego, CA 92110   |
Announcement
We Have Rooms!
Ranked #16 of 268 hotels in San Diego
“Nice staff and good location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

This is a very clean hotel with a lot of character. The pool is a nice temperature and lushly landscaped. The staff is very nice and helpful, and always calm even though the hotel was packed with multiple groups and the cleaning staff was not able to turn over some rooms timely. It's not a hotel to hang out all day in, but its location a short walk to Old Town and a quick drive to Seaworld was perfect for our family trip. And the breakfast was just right.

Room Tip: Upper rooms are probably quieter - the ground floor rooms surround the parking lot so you can hear o...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
YoursinHospitalitySD, Customer Service at Old Town Inn, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for the wonderful review! We are so happy to hear that you had an enjoyable stay with us, and a great time in San Diego. Your compliments about our staff, amenities, and property are greatly appreciated. We strive to provide our guests with clean, comfortable rooms, a friendly, relaxing atmosphere, genuine hospitality, and quality accommodations. I hope that you received all of these qualities and more during your time with us.

Thank you for mentioning our lush landscaping and our breakfast. These are both properties of our hotel that we have worked hard to perfect, and we are happy that you noticed. At the Old Town Inn, we put a lot of thought into not only the big things, like cleanliness, hospitality, and our amenities, but the little things as well. We know that attributes like a free DVD library and quality shampoos/conditioners are important to our guests, even though these aren't the first things someone would notice or comment on. We feel that these small conveniences and luxuries are special for our guests, and we are always trying to improve and expand on what we know our guests love. Your comments help us to do just that.

We appreciate that you mentioned the convenience of our location; it is sometimes difficult to set the right expectations for our guests regarding this. We love our location because it is so convenient for getting around San Diego; however, sometimes the industrial nature of our area can be a surprise. We do our best to convey our location’s benefits and shortcomings on our website. Although the area surrounding our hotel is loud at times, I believe the benefits far outweigh the negatives. As you mentioned, we are walking distance to Old Town and its restaurants and shops. The transit station is also a short walk away, allowing guests without a car to get almost anywhere in San Diego quickly and easily using public transit. We are also just a few minutes’ drive to Sea World, and many of San Diego’s great attractions. Our location may not be what people are used to, however most of our guests are very happy with it, and I’m glad that it was convenient for you and your family.

Thank you again for taking the time to write a review of the Old Town Inn. We truly appreciate you sharing your experience with the TripAdvisor community. It was a pleasure to have you and your family as our guests, and we hope to see you in the near future!

1,158 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Tucson, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

Very courteous staff waiting to accomodate especially Anna and Beatrice. Hotel is very convenient to all attractions. My family and I have been staying there whenever we are in San Diego which has been every year since 2007. We love the clean rooms and atmosphere
I have recomended this hotel to all my friends and family.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Longview, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

This was a budget priced hotel, but the service and cleanliness were excellent! This is an older hotel, but it was exceptionally clean. The room was not huge, but there was plenty of room for our luggage. There was a refrigerator and microwave. The bathroom had a sink in the room with the tub and toilet as well as a sink outside that room.

The breakfast was the usual free hotel breakfast, but it was well-attended by a staff member. We bought tickets for a tour and the zoo through the front desk staff. They were training some new employees, but they still got through the process quickly and efficiently.

The corridors were outside, but there was an elevator. Parking and internet were free. The location was convenient to the freeways, the airport, and Old Town, but it was not downtown if that matters to you. I did not go in the pool but I sat next to it for a while one afternoon. It must be a heated pool because even though the temperature was in the low 70's and there was a breeze, people were commenting that the water was warm.

Just a few minor complaints, in case any of these things are especially important to you--the bed was a little soft for my taste but not too bad, the towels could have been a little fluffier, and the TV always came on at a very loud volume and we had to turn it down immediately. Also, I could never get the internet to work, but I had my own mobile hotspot with me, and I never even reported it to the management. I did occasionally hear noise from another room or a nearby train, but it was not loud enough to disturb me.

I would highly recommend Old Town Inn to anyone traveling to San Diego and will stay there again if I ever come back to San Diego.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
YoursinHospitalitySD, Customer Service at Old Town Inn, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Old Town Inn, and for taking the time to write a review of your experience with us. We are very grateful for your feedback and compliments. I am delighted to hear that you had such an enjoyable time at our hotel. We pride ourselves in providing our guests with a wonderful stay. Our company culture is based on cleanliness, genuine hospitality, quality accommodations, and affordable pricing. We hope that you received all of the qualities we strive to uphold out of your stay with us, and much more.

As you mentioned, the Old Town Inn is an independently owned, two diamond, budget hotel. We are not a fancy hotel or a luxury vacation spot. We rate highly with guests like yourself, who want a quality experience, extraordinary customer service, have done their research, and appreciate getting the most out of their dollar. We appreciate that you understand our philosophy; it is sometimes difficult to set the right expectations for our guests, however we do our best through websites like TripAdvisor, and through our own website. Thank you for sharing such a thoughtful and honest review of our hotel. We truly appreciate your comments.

I am happy to hear that our location was convenient for you. We are located on Pacific Highway, which can be loud (mostly in the daytime), and also the train is close by, which causes some noise as well. I am glad to hear that this was not loud enough to be an inconvenience to you. Our industrial location is a problem for some, but for most it is a major benefit and convenience. We are so centrally located that the airport, downtown, and most of San Diego’s great attractions are all just a few miles away. We are also just a few minutes’ walk from Old Town, and the transit center, where you can hop on the trolley, bus, or train, and get anywhere in San Diego quickly and easily. Our location is also extremely convenient if you have a car; all the major freeways are minutes away, and you can get to the beaches, Sea World, Balboa Park, the Zoo, and downtown - all in less than ten minutes.

Thank you for mentioning our amenities, we are proud to offer many amenities for free that you may end up having to pay for in more expensive hotels. We provide things like parking, WiFi, a DVD collection, board games, and more. I hope that next time you will be able to hop in our pool, a perfect end to a long day of sightseeing.

I apologize for the ways in which we did not meet your needs, such as the fluffiness of the towels, the WiFi problems, and the loud TV. You have given us a very valuable perspective and we thank you for providing this feedback. Now that we know of these problems, we will be able to fix them, and that is why we are so grateful for all the feedback we can get and why we take every guests’ comments seriously. Our goal is to exceed expectations, and we cannot do that if we don’t have a dialogue with our guests. Thank you for alerting us to these problems, I hope they didn't cause too much of an inconvenience to you.

Thank you for recommending the Old Town Inn. It is an honor to know that you would recommend us and also stay with us again. We truly appreciate the compliments and feedback that you provided; it is necessary if we are to continue to make our guests happy. It was a pleasure to have you as our guest; we hope to see you again in the near future!

Los Angeles, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013 via mobile

Nice people, rooms are clean enough, decent location if you're looking to just stay in Old Town. But we couldn't even check in to our room until 5pm. We asked if we could switch from two queens to a king bed and that the room accommodate my disability (just need a ground floor room). She said she'd see what she could do. Two hours later, second floor room with two queens. Disappointing.

• Stayed June 2013
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013 via mobile

I researched a lot of hotels and read the reviews for old town inn. It seemed like it was a great bargain for the price. If you have kids this is not an ideal place to stay. It is right off the highway, near a train track and in the flight route for SD airport. Definitely loud 24/7. Also, people had stated it was in walking distance to old town restaurants, however it was quite a distance from anywhere. We stayed one night and cancelled the remaing 2 nights and moved to the Hyatt in mission bay. The staff was great, the room was clean however the location I felt was terrible. If we just planned on sleeping there I think it would have been fine, but with young kids we needed more amenities. They didnt hassle is at all about canceling the remaining 2 nights which was extremely generous.

• Stayed June 2013
YoursinHospitalitySD, Customer Service at Old Town Inn, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for the review. We appreciate you mentioning the good things about your stay, such as our attention to cleanliness and our excellent customer service, and also the things you disliked about your stay, for example, the noise.

I am surprised that you do not think our hotel is suited for families, as we have had many families with young children stay with us that love our kid-friendly amenities, such as our collection of family board games in the lobby, our free DVD rental collection with many family titles, and the pool, which kids love.

It is true we are located on Pacific Highway, close to major freeways, the airport, and the transit center. Though being so centrally located is one of our advantages, the noise may cause an issue to some, depending on what noise level you are used to at home. I am sorry that the noise was an inconvenience for you. We don’t get too many noise complaints; partly because the traffic noise dies down at around 7p.m. Amtrak does have trains running from 6:00a.m. to 1:00a.m., so we do get the occasional comment about that, although train noise would affect any hotel in the Old Town, Little Italy, and Downtown areas. I was surprised to learn that you heard airplane noise, because although we are close to the airport, we are not in the flight path. Though they are not usually needed, we do provide earplugs for light sleepers at the front desk free of charge, along with other travel gear that someone may forget, like toothbrushes, toothpaste, razors, combs, and more.

The Old Town Inn is in a unique area for a hotel, and we do not deny that. We do, however, love our industrial location for many reasons, such as the convenience of our central location, and the fact that we are walking distance to Old Town and the Old Town Transit Center. We are across the street from the main Old Town State Park parking lot, and when you get right down to it, we are easily the closest hotel to the State Park Visitor’s Center. It is at most a five minute walk to the park. I am sorry that you didn't recognize the location of our hotel. We do have a link on our TripAdvisor listing that takes you to our website where guests have access to a map that shows our location relative to Old Town State Park.

We are not everyone’s cup of tea, but we tend to rate highly with guests who want to get the most for their dollar, value cleanliness, appreciate genuine hospitality, and have done their research. Thank you again for taking the time to review us. Our company culture is to provide quality, affordability, and great customer service to our guests. We do take great pride in making our guests’ stay an enjoyable experience, and we hope you will give us another opportunity in the future.

Las Vegas, Nevada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

The Old Town Inn, although not a luxury hotel, was nice, had beautiful grounds, the room was clean and adequate. It was really small, but had everything needed in a hotel room and conveniently located to major sites. The beds were comfortable, the staff was very pleasant. And OMG, the price for three nights was less than $250.00 for the entire stay. They also provide complimentary continental breakfast. You can't beat the price! We were able to walk to Old Town and enjoy good food and some history. It is located on Pacific Highway and made it easy and quick to get to the pier, USS Midway, SeaWorld, the beach, and shopping. All in all, I would stay there again. Next time I will try one of their new rooms, which I understand is bigger. The air conditioner in the room did not keep room cold continuously through the night for me..

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the new side. I understand the newer rooms are bigger.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of the Old Town Inn. We truly appreciate your feedback and compliments. You are absolutely right in saying that we are not a luxury hotel. We are a two diamond rated hotel that puts our energy into cleanliness, comfort, genuine hospitality, quality accommodations, and an affordable price, instead of being fancy. I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us, and that you were able to get a good value during your stay.

It’s great to hear that you found our location to be convenient. We love our location because we are so centrally located; it is easy for our guests to get around San Diego quickly and conveniently. The Old Town Inn is in a unique area for a hotel. We are in a more industrial setting than most hotels; however, there are many advantages to our location. One benefit of being in a more industrial setting than a commercial one is that it tends to be quiet at night since there is not a lot of traffic. I will freely admit that it may not be what people are used to but the majority of our guests enjoy the convenience of our property. As you mentioned, it is quick and easy to get to all of San Diego’s attractions, such as Sea World, the beaches, downtown, and more. The owner likes to joke that we are “nowhere, but minutes to everywhere!”

I hope that the air conditioner problem in your room was not too much of an inconvenience for you. I apologize for the problems you had with it, and I understand that this is an important amenity, especially in the summer months. Thank you for letting us know about this. We take your comments very seriously and will do everything we can to make it right.

Thank you again for the wonderful review. We appreciate your honesty, and based on your compliments, we will strive to continue to do what makes our guests happy. Based on your feedback, we will strive to correct the mistakes we made. Thank you for staying with us; it was a pleasure to have you as our guest. We hope to see you soon in the near future!

Lutherville, MD
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

The Old Town Inn offers breakfast, self serve, with a nice variety of choices from warm oatmeal, belgium waffles, bagels and fresh muffins and pastries. This is our second visit to San Diego and to this property. We were very pleased the first time (three years ago) and equally pleased this time. The location is convenient to major highways, airport and car rental properties. A short walk will have you in Old Town with it's various restaurants and shops. Our room was large and we did not feel cramped. The staff is very pleasant and helpful. I recommended this hotel to my brother and sister in law and they too were very pleased with the location, room and price. I highly recommend The Old Town Inn.

Room Tip: All the rooms are under a porch type roof, so they are probably all good rooms. There is an elevator...
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Old Town Inn once again! We truly appreciate your loyalty as a guest. It is great to hear that we exceeded expectations. Our company culture is based on providing our guests with genuine hospitality, cleanliness, and quality accommodations, all at an affordable price. I hope that you received all of these qualities and more during your stay with us.

The Old Town Inn is not a luxury hotel. We like to concentrate on what is most important to our guests, and that is why we focus on cleanliness, quality, and great customer service along with affordable pricing. We are thankful that you “get us,” and what we’re about. Yes, we are located on Pacific Highway and in a slightly industrial area, however, as you mentioned, our location is especially convenient. We are a two diamond rated hotel, however, we strive to go above and beyond by providing excellent service, rooms, and amenities, as you also mentioned. We truly appreciate your compliments and feedback in these areas.

Thank you for your recommendation; as an independently owned hotel, word of mouth is one of our only ways to advertise. We are grateful to you for spreading the word about the Old Town Inn, and we are glad to hear that your brother and sister in law enjoyed their stay as well. We are honored that you highly recommend staying with us. It was a pleasure to have you as our guests, and we hope to see you again soon!

Old Town Inn

Been to Old Town Inn? Share your experiences!