“Not worth the price!” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #28 of 271 Hotels in San Diego
Bakersfield, California
“Not worth the price!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

For the price.......horrible place....outdated, smells and right in the middle of the "party crowd" in Pacific Beach. Very loud at night with the bars next door and drunks walking around. Rooms are priced way to high for what you get. It was really hot when we were there and the a/c is a joke! The only good thing if there is one is that it's right on the beach. Don't stay on the first floor beachfront as you have no privacy! It would be nice if the hot tub stayed opened longer.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Mat R, Front Office Manager at Ocean Park Inn, responded to this review, October 13, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback.

For the price...we offer the most complimentary amenities in the area, we have one of the best locations in all of San Diego, and we are always competitively priced with our local competition. There are no full service hotels or resorts here on the beach, so we believe we have positioned ourselves very comfortably as neither the most expensive nor the most affordable property in the area. If, however, you are looking for big chain hotels and resorts that offer all the amenities at lower prices, I would recommend heading 15 or 20 minutes inland for your next stay in San Diego so you can more comfortably experience "America's Finest City!"

To address the rest of the review: I would very much appreciate more details on what smelled, as there has been no mention of anything along these lines here. Further, you're absolutely right: except for one little storm last week, we have had one of the hottest summers ever here in San Diego. That being said, the hotter it is outside, the hotter it is inside, and the more our (or any) air conditioning units have to labor to pump out cool air. I do apologize the unit did not sufficiently cool your guestroom.

We are positioned in the center of Pacific Beach, which is indeed a very popular town for restaurants and bars on the weekends. If you are ever in the area again, however, there are plenty of restaurants and activities suitable for all age groups. Lastly, and along similar lines, we do everything in our power to make sure our guests have a comfortable stay. For example, we have been holding meetings with the surrounding restaurants to make sure noise levels remain low. This is also why we close the pool area at 10:00PM - we want to make sure the guests in rooms surrounding the pool are also treated with respect.

I do hope you enjoy your next trip to San Diego, and again, thank you for your feedback!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (236)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012 via mobile

Staff was very knowledgable of area- from transportation to restaurant recommendations. Parking was reasonable rate and pool had great view of ocean/boardwalk. Rooms were large size, bathrooms too and very clean. Breakfast had a good selection and there was lemonade 24-7! We'd be happy to stay again.

• Stayed October 2012
Thank you for the review! It sounds like you were really able to enjoy our property and greater San Diego. There is always more to do, however! Next time please swing by the front desk and any of our guest service agents would be more than happy to tell you about even more local attractions. Thank you for staying with us!
Detroit, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

We stayed here over PB Fest (by chance) and we only have good things to say! Don't let the bad reviews scare you off! :) Here's a description of Ocean Park Inn:

Rooms:

yes, somewhat dated, but we were fine, because everything was VERY clean. I've been in rooms at the Hyatt that were visually pleasing, but NOT clean. I'd rather have clean rooms!
Some reviews mentioned dated bathrooms, curtains, bedding etc. It sounds like they will be updating the rooms soon....but we would stay there again, regardless if the rooms were updated or not! We slept fine (beds were comfy), the bathroom was fine (nice, hot showers) and the ocean front balcony was fabulous!

Pool:

Clean and well-kept. I thought it was nice to walk down to the pool, instead of heading to the beach for a change of atmosphere.

Breakfast:

This has been a point of many of the reviews. I thought the breakfast was really nice. If you want a hot breakfast, head on over to IHOP, Kono's or the Lahaina Beach House. Breakfasts run anywhere from $6-15 per person. Personally, we chose to eat at the hotel 1/2 of the time, because it was sufficient for us. The other 2 nights we decided to head to Kono's and Broken Yolk Cafe. Here's what was for breakfast: apples, oranges, variety of cereals, yogurt, bagels, toast, pastries, hard boiled eggs and belgian waffles. Everything we tried was very good and the breakfast attendant was very nice. Also, a choice of juices and coffee were available.

Staff:

Two words. Awesome and accommodating! We booked through Expedia and ended up with a queen room. My hubby is 6'5" and the queen bed wasn't cutting it. We spoke with Mat after the first night and he was able to switch a few of the rooms around and got us into a king room.

Thank you SO much, Mat! It really made a difference. In the future, I'll be booking on your website, so we can definitely request a king room!

Of note, there are several bars/restaurants in the area, which can be loud, especially on the weekends. We didn't find a problem with it, but some people might. The rooms are pretty soundproof and closing the balcony door should help with any noise you may encounter. If that doesn't help, turn on the a/c or fan!!

Also want to mention that the location can't be beat....right on the end of Grand Ave within walking distance of anything you may want or need. Starbucks and Ralphs are right across the street.

Thanks again for the great hospitality -- we'd come back here in a second and would recommend to anyone. Was a nice break from the cooler Michigan weather! :)

Room Tip: Maybe pick a room overlooking the pool area, if you want to avoid the noise on the boardwalk or bar...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for taking the time out of your day to write such a fantastic, detail-oriented review! It is very much appreciated by all of us here at the OPI. I also want to personally thank you for the kind words about my staff and myself - we are all thrilled we made your vacation to San Diego that much better! We do hope to see you again soon - I would highly recommend signing up for our newsletter to receive specials and promotions for next time. Thank you again!
Calgary, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

Our room had a air conditioner that was so loud we could not even have it on while we were sleeping. It also would start squeaking even though we turned it off. My husband ended up putting a chair and our suitcase on top to silence it. Needless to say our room became very hot and we did not sleep well at all. We did not take advantage of the free breakfast as we wanted to eat something healthier. The staff was nice. We thought the hotel was too pricey for what you get though, but maybe it's just pricier in that area of the city.

Room Tip: The rooms that have an Oceanview are very loud. With the waves and all the people walking around at...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Mat R, Front Office Manager at Ocean Park Inn, responded to this review, October 12, 2012
Although I am not familiar with your case, I do hope you contacted the front desk to get that air conditioner fixed. Our housekeeping and maintenance staffs do the best they can between each stay to pinpoint and fix problems like this. I apologize this still occurred.

You are correct, the hotels on the beach in San Diego always have higher rates than those found inland (similar to most cities). We are, however, very competitively priced for hotels in our area - not to mention we ofter the most complimentary amenities and perhaps the best location around.

In all I am sorry to hear you did not enjoy your stay. I hope the rest of your vacation in the states was pleasant! Thank you for your feedback.
Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

This hotel is in a great location. Our room was #320 with a partial ocean view. It was very quiet considering its right on the beach/boardwalk. The staff was very accommodating. They gave us a temporary garage pass to use for a relative that would meet up with us occasionally. I travel often and was very impressed with how clean this hotel is. The staff was always cleaning. The firehouse grill (in front of the hotel) is a cool place to have a few drinks on the rooftop. Ask at the desk for discount cards for local restaurants (including 10% off at Firehouse). They may also have discounts for activities. The pool/hot tub was also very nice.
One thing to improve on would be the bathrooms. They are slightly outdated.
I would definitely choose this hotel again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for the review! We're pleased you noticed how hard the staff works to keep the property as tidy as possible. We all take great pride in the cleanliness of the OPI. We're also glad you were able to take advantage of the discount cards for local eateries and attractions the front desk provides. It sounds like you had a great trip, and we look forward to seeing you again!
Sonoma, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

Stayed here because I attended a seminar at the Catamaran hotel, a 10-15 min walk on the boardwalk. Hotel is right on the beach walking distance to many restaurants. Hotel and room is your typical older hotel in a beach town. Nothing special, but you are paying for proximity to the beach. The boardwalk is safe even in the early morning. Highly recommend CBW restaurant which is a healthy fast food place for salads bowls and wraps. Within a block of the hotel. Note: parking is extra. They have their own underground parking.

• Stayed September 2012
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. You may be happy to know this winter we are continuing our renovation efforts, which include but are not limited to: new window treatments, bedding, and furniture in all the rooms. Hopefully the updates will create a more positive impression if you decide to stay with us again. Thanks again!
Nashville
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

My kids and I recently took a trip to San Diego and stayed at the Ocean Park Inn. I had researched beach front properties in Tripadvisor and found OPI to be well-rated. So glad I picked it! I have read positive/negative reviews, so I'd like to give my opinion on each topic.

1) Location - Perfect! OPI is located on the beach in the middle of the boardwalk area. It is within easy walking distance to many restaurants (local places, chains, fast food, sit down, etc), roof top bars, cafes, shops, etc. There is a Starbucks across the street and a Ralph's (aka Kroger for the south eastern crowd). Many area attractions are close and it has easy access to I-5.

2) Overall Property - The Ocean Park Inn is an older hotel but very well maintained. If you look around, all of the hotels are older with that "beach town" feel. There are no big resorts in the beach area and they would not fit in with the charm of the area anyway. It was by far the nicest looking property that we saw in the area. There is on site underground and secure parking at the facility. The pool was very clean and well-maintained...with great lounge chairs and extra towels.

My only complaint (and it is minor) is regarding the free wi-fi. The connection was poor during my entire stay and I ended up walking over to Starbucks to connect. Again...very minor issue for me.

3) Rooms - The rooms were very nice...large, well-stocked and relatively modern furniture. There was no odd smells as some have reported. The rooms and hallways had new carpeting and seemingly fresh paint. Flat screen TV, refrigerator and microwave were all present. The bathroom was a little dated with a retro feel...pink and aqua tiling, but it was very clean. Based upon some reviews, I had low expectations about the "partial view" of the ocean, but I was pleasantly surprised. I could see much of the beach, ocean and pier. I watched some beautiful ocean sunsets from the balcony.

4) Staff - The staff was great! They were very welcoming upon arrival and each time we entered the lobby. They were helpful with directions, where to eat, etc. they were also helpful in printing our Sea World tickets for us.

5) Noise - Because the hotel is centrally located on Pacific Beach, there are bars and reataurants and people all around. With that, there were times when you could hear people around the property. However, it was primarily when we were outside or on the hallways where the windows were open. We were not disturbed by the noise at all.

6) Breakfast - The complimentary continental breakfast was GREAT! There were waffles, pasteries, bagels, toast, oatmeal, cereal, fruit, yogurt and boiled eggs! There were several varieties of juice, milk or coffee. For those that want to complain about no hot breakfast, walk across the street to iHop and spend $50+ :)

Overall, this was a great place! I would definitely stay here again and have already recommended it to others!

• Stayed September 2012
Wow what a review! We're very happy to hear you enjoyed your stay so much. You've covered all the major points, so I'm just going to say thanks for staying with us, thank you for taking so much time out of your day to write such a wonderful review, and we hope to see you again very soon!

Been to Ocean Park Inn? Share your experiences!