“You get what you pay for.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Motel 6 San Diego Hotel Circle

You added Motel 6 San Diego Hotel Circle to your Saves list
Motel 6 San Diego Hotel Circle
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   2424 Hotel Circle N, I-8/Mission Valley Freeway West at Hotel Circle North, San Diego, CA 91942 (Mission Valley / Hotel Circle)   |
Ranked #215 of 271 Hotels in San Diego
Salt Lake City, Utah
“You get what you pay for.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

The staff at the hotel was really friendly, accommodating, and helpful. They let us check in early and select what kind of room we wanted to stay in. They gave us fresh towels even though we didn't ask for them and the maid made our bed for us.

The motel is about 10 minutes away from Seaworld and we never used the pool, but from what we could tell, it didn't seem very kept. personal items were left poolside the entire time we stayed there.

The pizza deliveries were pretty invasive by sliding flyers inside the room through the gap in the seal and scared the crap out of us the first time they did it because the dude basically slammed the door to get it in.We thought someone was breaking in. I would never use one of those pizza deliveries solely for the fact that they were very intrusive that way. We just threw them away.

The floor was soggy most of the time and I felt nasty not having on at least flip flops. The shower pressure was barely there unless you switch it over to cold. Nobody wants a cold shower. So I had to take twice the time in the shower just to rinse out my hair. The bathroom floor was dirty with paint spots. All they give you is soap. No shampoo or conditioner. Bring your own hair dryer. The towels are too small to shower with, so bring your own of those, too.

The bed wasn't too bad. About what you would expect for a motel bed. We seemed to sleep fine. I was glad we brought our own pillows because these ones seemed worn and thin.

I saw some reviews that there were bed bugs and roaches, but I never saw any.

We were poolside and there was a lot of noise from the freeway and kids playing, but that didn't bother us. If you're a light sleeper, maybe go away from the freeway side.

The window doesn't open. That was annoying because we would have liked some fresh air without having to leave the door wide open.

The AC worked fine.

This is the most expensive Hotel 6 we can find anywhere, no doubt because of the location. There is a mall pretty close and right off the freeway. Yet it's the cheapest one for the area that we could find. So if you just need a place to sleep, this could be your best bet.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2012

We have stayed here before and also at two other hotels on hotel circle north. I chose this hotel because of cost and location. My family of four stayed five nights with two nights of wifi for a total of 377! It is definetly a hotel for someone on a budget. Check in was easy and the reception staff were very kind and friendly.
Our room was 2nd floor in tower,first night, there was a stain in hallway but they must have shampooed next day because it was gone. The room has 2 queen beds, large window, tv with cable channels and dresser with three drawers. It also has a place to hang soem clothes in the corner. The bathroom area is seperated into two areas, both sides had mirrors, behind door full bath tub, shower and toilet. Thhis helped when we were all getting ready in morning.The ac worked really well and the beds were a little firm but we all slept fine. We could not hear the cars or others while we slept. It is a dog friendly hotel though, we heard smalldogs barking behind doors when we walked down hall. There arent any extras, you do only get a bar of soap. There isnt a blow dryer, but we always take one anyway. There is a platic ice holder and plastic cups. We asked for iron and board first nite, (small iron board and iron was dirty so clean first) and kept it under sink for entire week. Also, asked for extra towels just about everyday, they were very easy to go to front desk and ask for, they gave us all without any complaints. Free coffee in front office every morning too. This hotel has laundrey room and snack machine on parking level and mircowave down there too. But everyone is right, some shady people around but also you saw families on a budget. Also, for some reason the stairwell had a strange smell. This place is also right across highway from old town and just down highway from Ocean Beach (location). We were able to sleep here for a week, VERY inexpensively, which enabled us to spend the money on eating at nice places (little italy, old town), going whale watching (saw a Fin whale!), going to Sea World (coupon on mousesavers for 20 dollars off using SWCTacoBell2012 in promocode) and all the beaches. So I really knew what we were getting and WHY before we booked here.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Columbus, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

I will cover the bad issues, then the good points:
1) The parking is not very good.
2) The rooms are not very clean.
3) The bath towels are more like rags. Seriously.
4) The beds are unacceptable. You will be sore in the morning.
5) The air conditioning was a nightmare. Seriously. It whistled and made shrill sounds from time to time that sounded like a scream. I woke up and thought it was a nightmare.
6) The trash receptacles were overflowing.
7) The elevator was noisy and my room was next to it.
8) I got ripped off on the wi-fi and the customer service number I called never answered!
Now the positive:
1) I was allowed to check out early because I was so unhappy and received a refund on my pre-paid stay for the upcoming night.
2) I received a 25% refund on the previous night due to my family not being happy with the stay.
3) The hotel front desk employees are dressed VERY professionally. I really mean that. They are better dressed than employees at expensive hotels.
4) The hotel front desk employees are VERY courteous and attentive to their customers. I cannot say enough wonderful things about the employees. They were very sincere and addressed my concerns to the best of their ability.

In conclusion: We went up the street and stayed at the marvelous Best Western for the SAME price as the Motel 6 Hotel Circle location. The Best Western was beyond fantastic!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2012 via mobile

We needed a overnight place while doing Sea World followed by San Diego Zoo the next day. This place wasn't bad for $60 dollars. No amenities , small rooms and they charge for wi-fi. The staff was friendly and place reasonably clean.

• Stayed June 2012
Tucson
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2012

I usually get a deal in advance. This stay I just showed up and this is what I found. The woman at the front desk was great. The parking is free but they charge for wifi and there isn't a breakfast. It was pretty loud on the weekend so I didn't get great sleep. Overall nothing to write home about, but it was the only thing around for the price point.

• Stayed December 2011
Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2011

This was the worst place my wife and I have ever stayed. We were passing through SD for the night and decided to stay here because it was right off the highway. The room was musty and the bed was hard as a rock. I have stayed at Motel 6 in other cities before, but this place does not measure up to their other hotels or other budget hotels. Pay some extra money for somewhere else.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2011

One of the worst Motel 6 I stayed in a long time.

Avoid the tower. We got a room near the elevator and there was constant
noise throughout the night. You could also see the bright light from the hallway trough the door so that it was never completely dark in the room.

The bed was uncomfortable and the pillows were the thinnest I had ever seen. Also the room had only one bar of soap and no shampoo.

Luckily we stayed there only one night and avoided the bedbugs and hookers mentioned in the other reviews.

Please do yourself a favor and stay away.

Room Tip: If you must stay there try to avoid the tower.