“I don't know what the fuss is about” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Mission Valley Resort

You added Mission Valley Resort to your Saves list
Mission Valley Resort
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   875 Hotel Circle South, San Diego, CA 92108 (Mission Valley / Hotel Circle)   |
Ranked #235 of 271 Hotels in San Diego
aussie in usa
“I don't know what the fuss is about”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2006

After booking 4 days at this place for 2 adults and 2 children, we had a look at the tripadvisor website. We were dreading staying there after reading such poor reviews. However our room (or should I say rooms) was spacious, had a fridge and microwave and was clean+++. We had access to the gym up the hill which was fantastic after not being able to swim for weeks. The pool on the resort, admittedly, was quite chilly and could have been a bit warmer, but the spa was just lovely!
The staff were run off their feet, but were pleasant and more than helpful. The wireless internet was a Godsend for us, looking for accommodation in San Diego.
The diner had the best food, and the staff were fantastic there.
It was a little out of the way for getting around, but not impossible, and the buses are frequent. We were really happy staying here!

• Liked — pretty much everything
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
Sacramento, CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2006

I have stayed at this property on a couple of occasions for both work and pleasure. The room accomodations are uneven in quality, cleanliness and their need for updating. On one occasion, the room was clean and comfortable and at that time I felt it was a good value as it has a nice pool (the one nearer the front desk building has more features such as a spa, the farther pool has no spa), and the complementary gym pass was a plus. However, when I last stayed, the room was poorly maintained. The bathroom was especially poorly maintained with whatever material that was covering the original tile peeling off. There was also a black mildew in the caulking/grout and the tile floor was filthy looking. The beds were like boards and the second night, I couldn't sleep in them any longer as my back was killing me. Also, the room cleaning attendent knocked on the door at 8am on a weekend morning! So much for a leisurely morning. Additionally, the pool was padlocked for a couple of hours past the posted pool hours. It's very baffling how this resort can be so uneven in general condition. I would really think hard before making a reservation there as it seems like a roll of the dice as to whether you get a decent room or not.

• Liked — Main pool, gym pass, price
  • Disliked — bathrooms, beds, cleanliness, maid service.
  • Tips/Secrets — Take a pass on this property.
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2006

My husband and I stayed at Mission Valley Resort for three nights on business.

For the price we were charged for our room, I certainly expected better. Instead we got a small, musty smelling, damp room. We did have a king bed, but the pillows were small and it was poorly made-up. The heater-lamp in the bathroom would not turn off, and the hang-up button on the phone had to be "unstuck" every time I lifted the receiver. The walls were extremely thin and one night we were continually disturbed by a woman yelling at her crying child all night and on the other, by a boisterous late-night party.

The hotel's internet site boasts free wireless internet through-out the resort, but I could only connect in the lobby area and by the pool. It would have been nice if the staff had mentioned the issue to me on check-in, thus sparing me the endless time on the phone to their wireless network technical support, seeking a non-existent solution.

The staff was at best disinterested and at worst downright rude. Not one of them seemed even the slightest bit interested in making our stay pleasant. In fact, it would seem that we were an imposition to them because they actually had to do their jobs!

The food at the hotel restaurant was overpriced and dreadful. It was just your typical every-day cuisine; how anyone could botch such simple fare is beyond me.

In closing, you would do better to visit the local Motel 6 than to book a stay at Mission Valley Resort. It is in no way, shape, or form a resort, and the service provided is sub-par in every aspect.

• Stayed August 2006, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Tempe, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2006

We stayed here 3 nights recently and the first room we were in could not get internet -- it was the furthest room from the main lobby. The reservations manager immediately gave us another room, no questions asked, and it was a much better and bigger room -- all at no extra charge. But I was at the front dest several more times and saw people come in with various concerns and each time, the person at the desk was amazingly patient and accomodating. We stayed here becasue it was one of the least expensive, but the room was very nice and the service was way above par.

Vancouver, British Columbia Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2006

When we checked into our hotel (Mission Valley Resort) we were given keys to a standard room and upon entry were horrified to see how small it was. It comprised of 2 double beds and some furniture which left no room for a crib and no room for luggage. The bathroom was small and the overall condition of the room was dingy.

We returned to the hotel clerk and expressed that the room was unacceptable and how could they expect a family of 4 including a crib to stay in such cramped quarters. They advised that was the room which was booked and they had no record of a requested crib. (it was listed on the Hotel Voucher with Queen Beds)!

The end result was an offer to upgrade to a larger room for an additional $45.00 US per night for 6 nights plus taxes $300.00 . It felt like a complete scam

• Stayed May 2006
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2006

This Hotel needs to change uts name because it is nowhere near a resort. The rooms and bathroom are very small, carpet was muggy and dirty. Shower curtain smelled like it had not been cleane. This place really needs some improvements. The staff just seemed like they did not care for the comforts of the guest, which I believe should be a priority. I will never go there again.

Stayed May 2006
VA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2006

This place was definitely not worth the money and I actually received a reduced rate for a conference! The walls are thin so you can hear everything from next door. I was also placed next door to a smoker even though they were all non-smoking rooms. Management said that there was nothing that they could do about it.
Rooms were not very clean either. The plus is that there is wireless which works in some of the rooms although apparently not in all.
Frankly, the staff did not seem that concerned about customer comfort. it is convernient, but there are several other hotels nearby that are also convenient.
I definitely woulds not recommend.

• Stayed March 2006, traveled on business

Been to Mission Valley Resort? Share your experiences!